Notices
Lighting A place to ask questions about HIDs & other Lexus lights

Taillight burnt but not.... help?!?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-04, 01:49 PM
UptownGS
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Taillight burnt but not.... help?!?!?!

So I'm investigating my dash light, seems as though I have a burnt tail light. Now my drivers side Taillight is burnt out. I have my Lights turned on and I can visually see that the tail light is not lighting up while the other side is OK.
So I think simple fix just change out the bulb. But I notice when I step on the brakes the tail light lights up brightly just like the other side. If this bulb was burnt then shouldn't the light not work at all. Could this be a fuse? I'm not familiar w/ this. Any inputs would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-02-04, 03:31 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts
Default Re: Taillight burnt but not.... help?!?!?!

Originally posted by UptownGS
So I'm investigating my dash light, seems as though I have a burnt tail light. Now my drivers side Taillight is burnt out. I have my Lights turned on and I can visually see that the tail light is not lighting up while the other side is OK.
So I think simple fix just change out the bulb. But I notice when I step on the brakes the tail light lights up brightly just like the other side. If this bulb was burnt then shouldn't the light not work at all. Could this be a fuse? I'm not familiar w/ this. Any inputs would be greatly appreciated.
i suspect it's the fuse. when you turn on parking light it's only one filament controlled by one fuse. but when you step on the brakes both filaments light up and that's controlled by another fuse
Old 05-02-04, 05:59 PM
UptownGS
Lexus Champion

does the GS have the fuse box for lights under the cockpit or is it in the engine bay?
Old 05-02-04, 06:22 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally posted by UptownGS
does the GS have the fuse box for lights under the cockpit or is it in the engine bay?
ummm, not sure about that. i know the headlights is in the engine bay (right below the battery) and the fogs are under the cockpit
Old 05-04-04, 07:35 AM
irv_usc
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

uhh, why would it be a fuse if only the driverside tail is out? obviously the bulb is the culprit here.
Old 05-04-04, 09:32 AM
UptownGS
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by irv_usc
uhh, why would it be a fuse if only the driverside tail is out? obviously the bulb is the culprit here.
but the bulb works when i step on the brake light.... which is why I started thinking it was the fuse.

either way, I'll look for a burnt out fuse first because thats easier then move my way to bulbs.
Old 05-13-04, 03:41 AM
super_cjc
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The same thing happened on my wife’s RX300. I checked the bulb was OK b/c it worked when I stepped on the brake. Then I pulled the fuse out to exam it. The fuse was OK too. Actually if the fuse was bad, both tail lights would not work. After I put the old fuse back in, the driver side tail light started to work again. Very strange, but I am happy it works now.
Old 05-13-04, 02:40 PM
TwincH
Driver School Candidate

Some tailight bulbs have dual filaments. One filament probably is burnt out, but the one that works hasn't burnt out yet and is the brighter one when you step on the brakes. The other one is for regular lighting when you turn on your lights. Replace the bulb and see if it makes any difference.
Old 05-14-04, 01:43 PM
UptownGS
Lexus Champion

UPDATE!!!

Twinch and some other replies were correct.... the bulbs were dual filament 7543's I believe. No fuses were burnt.... I switched out the bulbs and no more light!!! It didn't have any signs of being burnt but oh welps.... culprit found.... Thanks CL.
Old 02-04-05, 09:55 AM
ngravatt
Driver School Candidate

Default Same problem

I think i have the same problem.

Last night i replaced one bulb in the driver side tail light. Now the parking lights dont work on the driver side tail light unless a push the brake. then all the lights work fine.

Also the bulb i replaced was all rusty and tuff to get out. you think that may affect the operation of the tail lights.

what was the final solution? I need to get a different type of bulb? what is the model number of the bulb i need to use?