Lighting A place to ask questions about HIDs & other Lexus lights

headlights

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-04, 04:26 PM
oat
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question headlights

Both my right and left lowbeam headlights are out (not sure how long ago since they don't do much even when they were working). Anyway, I checked the fuses, which are both okay, so I assume the low beam bulbs are burnt out. I have a few questions:

1) is it common for both bulbs to burn out at the same time?
2) any other possible causes for both lights to go out?
3) if it is just the bulbs, what are some other types of bulbs that i can replace them with which will actually help me see at night (the cheaper the better)
Old 05-31-04, 06:31 PM
paintbaler
Driver School Candidate

Well they are the same kind of bulb so they could burn out at the same time.

As far as reasons, Id prob say a loose wire or something. Try checking the wiring to see if its all in good condition.

Im not positive but I think they SCs have 9004 or 9006 lights, cant remember which, but I would get some nice HIDs.
Old 05-31-04, 06:46 PM
rscott
Lexus Test Driver

oem type would be the best/cheapest to replace with if you dont mind a yellow beam. The output is actually higher than the "xenon" ricer lights. The next step would be silvania silverstars i believe. Those run $40 a pair but look great. Ill post a picture later tonightif i can find it, but i wouldnt call them cheap. What i did for max output was mod a set of 9005 bulbs to fit/seal in the 9006 slot. noticeably brighter without melting your harness/headlight insert. Oftentimes that could happen with the ricer type bulbs since they run higher wattage and hotter. I think the piaa bulbs are a bit more expensive and have about the same output as the piaas. The next step after that would be HIDs but i think that is a bit much especially if youre trying to save cash.
Old 05-31-04, 06:48 PM
rscott
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by paintbaler
Well they are the same kind of bulb so they could burn out at the same time.

As far as reasons, Id prob say a loose wire or something. Try checking the wiring to see if its all in good condition.

Im not positive but I think they SCs have 9004 or 9006 lights, cant remember which, but I would get some nice HIDs.
I think HIDs are exactly what he doesnt want to do since he is looking for a cheap alternative. HIDs on the SC are kind of a pain in the *** since the projector retrofit is essentially a must.
Old 05-31-04, 06:57 PM
rscott
Lexus Test Driver

found the pic.

silverstars.

lol this is the first pic ive ever posted. enjoy the teaser kids =)
Old 05-31-04, 07:36 PM
EUROJulian
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: headlights

Originally posted by oat
Both my right and left lowbeam headlights are out (not sure how long ago since they don't do much even when they were working). Anyway, I checked the fuses, which are both okay, so I assume the low beam bulbs are burnt out. I have a few questions:

1) is it common for both bulbs to burn out at the same time?
2) any other possible causes for both lights to go out?
3) if it is just the bulbs, what are some other types of bulbs that i can replace them with which will actually help me see at night (the cheaper the better)
For you to check light problem is to use test light dirrectly at the socket. You have to make sure there is aviable power at the bulb connectors.
Checking fuses is just next step. First is aviable power check.

Ad1 It happens at times, but you do not even know when it happen right? So maybe it was not at the same time but one after another.

Ad2 Many

Ad3 I find stock light to be very good (even with only one working correctly! Right now I wait for delivery of left side headlight- imine has broken clip inside which make left light points down...)
I think you may have aiming issiue with yours...
Old 05-31-04, 07:40 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 350 Likes on 226 Posts
Default Re: Re: headlights

Originally posted by EUROJulian
I find stock light to be very good (even with only one working correctly!
i predict this is the first, and last, time i will ever hear that statement.

The projectors are horrible IMO. Even my Porsche, which uses a sealed beam traditional old school headlight, does better, as does my BMW. (actually the BMW is the best by far).

Even with my silverstars it is barely enough to see with. I suppose the difference with me personally is that i drive a lot of different cars, and see the differences, by the time i make it back to the SC i am dissapointed.

Actually, my ONLY complaint about the Sc at all!
Old 05-31-04, 08:58 PM
EUROJulian
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I think opinion difference lays in comparison subjects. I drive exclusivly Toyotas and some of those are realy bad. Like camry f.e...Even my bike light is better than camrys.
Plus headlights on my SC are fairly new, proly it also helps.

I would be replacing factory setup with HID right away, so it should close up on big boys from germany

Last edited by EUROJulian; 05-31-04 at 09:04 PM.