Lighting A place to ask questions about HIDs & other Lexus lights

SC HID ballast mounting areas

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-04, 03:59 PM
/Aerostar\
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

:thread jack:

ewww, look at that stock airbox. You need BFI and need it now . Great idea for mounting the ballasts there. Also, I will be removing my front bumper tomromrw to repaint it, are there any tips you can offer me?

Thanks

:/thread jack:

Last edited by /Aerostar\; 07-03-04 at 03:59 PM.
Old 07-03-04, 04:14 PM
CleanSC
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Thanks for the love guys. BTW I have the Injen (just for sound) now, that's an old pic. As for tips:

You need to remove the headlights (one engine bay bolt, 2 access from fenderwell). Under the headlights there are 3 clips. Remove.

At the horizontal line where the fender meets the bumper, there are 2 10mm nuts to remove. Access from fender well.

Where the bumper meets the hood, there's a weatherstripping. It's held on with 2 mini clips on either end. Carefully remove the rubber from the clip and peel it off. Under the rubber there's a few bolts that hold down a metal bracket. Remove. Under the bracket there's screws that hold the high beam to the chassis, remove.

Get under car and remove all the 10mm screw/bolts that hold the undertray to it. Leave the trays. While you are down there, remove all the clips that you can now see when you look up. They clip the top side of the bumper grille opening to underside of the bumper support.

That's it. Carefully pull off and WATCH THE FENDER STUDS. THEY WILL SCRATCH YOUR FENDER UP REAL NICE. It's best to have 2 people do this. One at each fender. Pull the bumper off, and place it on the floor. Then unclip the fog lights, high beams and the corners. You're done.

That's the procedure off the top of my head, I'm pretty sure that's all that's needed.

Good luck!
Old 07-03-04, 04:24 PM
/Aerostar\
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

ALright, thanks alot. That along with my service manual should make the job real easy.

Thanks again
Old 07-05-04, 11:10 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts
Default Re: Yeah yank it off.

Originally posted by CleanSC
Taking off the bumper is easy. Don't be scared it's just a bumper.

A screwdriver, 10mm, and some pliers to remove the clips. Now I can take it off in about 10 minutes frame to floor.

As for the water. On the older bumpers there's no way water will get in there. The 97+ with the grille has a chance to let some in. At most it's just a splash because it's such a small opening. The ballasts are splash proof so it's okay. Also the grille is in the center and the ballasts are off to the sides so getting any serious amount of water on them is highly unlikely.

I just stripped the car down to the shell to repaint it (no interior, glass, bumpers, lights) and it's not that hard. Just keep all the parts and bolts in a safe place. The hardest part is not losing them.

Go for it!
ah thanks for the explanation not studying the sc enough so i didn't know the difference