Notices
Lighting A place to ask questions about HIDs & other Lexus lights

GS300/400/430 "DRL LEDs" advertised in Lexstasy.com are really "Parking Light LEDs&qu

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-04, 12:43 PM
JellyBean
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
Default GS300/400/430 "DRL LEDs" advertised in Lexstasy.com are really "Parking Light LEDs&qu

They do absolutely nothing for the real Daylight Running Lights (DRLs). I'm a new GS430 owner (2001 model) and my first mod was a very modest one that most newbies have surely considered: to brighten up the DRLs to match the color of the HIDs. Lextasy.com advertised that their Hyper White DRL LEDs would do exactly that. Those LEDs, however, only replace the parking light bulbs that share the reflectors with the halogen high beams. I found out today (attention, newbies) that the DRLs are really the halogen high beams burning at partial power. Thus, ironically, you'll notice those "DRL LEDs" only when the real DRLs are off while using your headlights. At all other times, the real DRLs completely overwhelm the LEDs.

And yes, when your HID low beams are on (and consequently the real DRLs are off) those parking light LEDs do match the HIDs' whiteness. But what I really wanted was for the DRLs--not the parking lights--to burn as white as the HIDs. Any suggestions out there on how I could accomplish this on the cheap? Replacing the high beam bulbs with HIDs is out of the question. Also, according to other posts, super white halogens will burn yellowish while on DRL mode.

Last edited by JellyBean; 06-27-04 at 12:46 PM.
Old 06-27-04, 11:47 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

first of all, that's YET another reason why i hate that place.... they do nothing but misinformation and scamming people? they can't even figure out the right stuff and tell people the correct stuff and they try to sell something. how incredible...

anyway, to answer your question, there is no way you can make the DRL to match hid or to get that color. DRL is high beam running at 50% power. high beam is 50W, so 50% is 25W. to make the DRl running as hot / bright, you will need to put in a 100W. personally i haven't seen such a bulb, but even so, i dont' dare to use. imagine at night if you wanna flash something...
Old 06-28-04, 08:09 AM
CleanSC
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
Another consideration is to run your headlights on all the time.

That way you get to use those LED's you got, and they will match the HID main beams.

Just a thought. HIDs during the day don't blind anyone. As a matter of fact, being that DRL's are actually high beams, 50% power on some cars glare enough in broad daylight to be bothersome when the cars get closer to you.

Just click on your HID's during the day. Trust me, they won't see you any less.
Old 06-28-04, 05:50 PM
JellyBean
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Nah, I'll pass up on burning my low beams full time. I think I'll replace the lextasy crap LEDs with 6-LED bulbs I read in other posts and call it a day. Maybe I can recycle them somewhere else in the car. Coming home this afternoon I noticed a New Beetle about to turn left in front of me and it was burning very white (possibly HID) lights that appeared to be DRLs. I had never noticed that before. I'll look into it .