Lighting A place to ask questions about HIDs & other Lexus lights

LEDs - Wedge Bulb options (2GS & 3GS) comparison

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-06, 06:52 PM
upstateGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dx3
I have the stock HID's and no parking lights in right now. I have the L-Sportline kit so I have no sidemarkers. What would you recommend?

Thanks man,
Jonny

honestly...i think it looks good the way you and i both have it..some would think its stupid to leave that light out and just have the hids and the fogs..but i think it looks far cleaner than having a tri color setup rolling down the road since you can never really match them perfectly...also alot of people disagree with me since i put the yellow fogs in, but i think the bright yellow fog with the 4300k hid is awesome, i like it 100x more than my clear fog/hid combo....when i spring for the 3000k 9006 hid kit for the fogs it will be even better!
Old 03-10-06, 11:18 AM
CleanCL
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by upstateGS4
i put both of mine in the other day, as i suspected they dont really look that great with the 4300k hids..but again its TOTALLY personal preference..im my own opinion..the 4300k's along with the new yellow fogs i just put in, are more then enough different colors for the front of the car..i actually removed the J51s and dont even have any bulbs in the parking sockets now..so when i drive its just the hids and the fogs...i also did the foglight mod so i can just have the fogs on when im driving and no headlights...im not sure if im even going to bother putting the j51s back into the housings or just leave them out...seriously the j51 color, along with the 4300k hids, and the yellow fogs, AND the oem sidemarkers (orange) would just be too many different colors up front. the yellow fogs and the hid compliment eachother nicely. when you throw the j51s into the mix now you have three colors and its just funk in my opinion...but like i said, some people might like them....but i will give the j51s this...they are BRIGHT as hell, and out of all the 194s and led 194s i have tried, these are the best in my opinion...they are the whitest white out of the bunch i think, but still not a great match for my hids (4300k from xenondepot.com)...honestly though, you will never find a 194 size bulb or led 194 that ever will actually be identical to hids, its just not possible, so either you have to deal with this look or dont rock the citylight/parking bulbs at all...

want to sell me your j51s?
Old 03-15-06, 10:04 AM
TwentyTen
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The time has come. I need to contact Warden for some new LEDs. I want to get 194 9-LEDs for the side markers, the wedges, and the overhead lights. Right when I was about to purchase I saw "INVERTED LEDS". They claim to be brighter but dont have 9 LED bulbs. Any one have experience with these?

Thanks - Darius
Old 03-15-06, 04:11 PM
upstateGS4
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Darius2010
The time has come. I need to contact Warden for some new LEDs. I want to get 194 9-LEDs for the side markers, the wedges, and the overhead lights. Right when I was about to purchase I saw "INVERTED LEDS". They claim to be brighter but dont have 9 LED bulbs. Any one have experience with these?

Thanks - Darius

yeah. ive used them, they suck. they are nothing in person compared to how they look in a picture on the comp. and they dont match ANY hids. ive had exactly the ones you pictured. they look blue, like "i drive a riced out honda look at me" blue. not somethign you want stuck in the front of your lexus gs.

and to the guy asking about my j51s.. yeah ill probably sell them, PM me.
Old 03-15-06, 04:55 PM
EXE.UCF10
VIP|EXEstyle セルシオ

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by upstateGS4
yeah. ive used them, they suck. they are nothing in person compared to how they look in a picture on the comp. and they dont match ANY hids. ive had exactly the ones you pictured. they look blue, like "i drive a riced out honda look at me" blue. not somethign you want stuck in the front of your lexus gs.

and to the guy asking about my j51s.. yeah ill probably sell them, PM me.
Yup, exactly what he said...don't waste your money on those.
Old 03-16-06, 08:01 AM
TwentyTen
Lexus Champion

Thanks for the heads up guys, you just saved me a lot of frustration!

//Darius
Old 03-16-06, 07:56 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default J-51's

Just got my J-51's tonight and popped one in. Can't say I'm too excited about it at all.
I removed it.
It is pretty bright. It matches the stock HIDs reasonably well, but just a slight greenish tint, which I really didn't care for, but that's not the worst of it. What really got me is that they do a horrid job of lighting up the reflectors. There's a big white dot, yet much of the reflector is dark. Didn't really like them. I also do not think they will add to headlight output and light the street better at all.
I've been using the 5-led (one center big one surrounded by 4 small ones) and they light the reflectors better. I also like their slight bluish tint.
Still going to search for a better one.
Old 03-19-06, 09:08 PM
Leeladisky
Lead Lap

Default Load Resistors????

I need some advice: I have a Third Gen GS-300 and I would like to replace the turn signals, parking lights, etc. , does anyone know if I require load resistors to make them function correctly (i.e., no bulb out indicators, fast flashing, etc.)?????

Lee
Old 03-22-06, 10:09 PM
CleanCL
Lead Lap

i got my j51s and put them in my lexus sc400, and they are the WHITEST 194 wedge bulbs I have used to date. i put them in my acura cl map lights, and yes, they are WHITE. now, they don't seem as BRIGHT, but they are very WHITE. lol. i hope this helps, i was a bit disappointed with their light output, but i am happy that they are the first wedge bulbs i have purchased to date that actually light up white, and not a blue color. thanks guys. i pmed a couple of ya.
Old 03-24-06, 05:27 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 88 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by engin_ear
Just got my J-51's tonight and popped one in. Can't say I'm too excited about it at all.
I removed it.
It is pretty bright. It matches the stock HIDs reasonably well, but just a slight greenish tint, which I really didn't care for, but that's not the worst of it. What really got me is that they do a horrid job of lighting up the reflectors. There's a big white dot, yet much of the reflector is dark. Didn't really like them. I also do not think they will add to headlight output and light the street better at all.
I've been using the 5-led (one center big one surrounded by 4 small ones) and they light the reflectors better. I also like their slight bluish tint.
Still going to search for a better one.
I have to say I'm mystified about the J-51's not lighting up the reflectors well in your car--as my photos show, they do a pretty adequate job. Perhaps there was some problem in inserting them all the way into the reflector bowl?

Could you post up some photos of the J-51's in your car?

Thanks.
Old 03-24-06, 12:38 PM
jtgs400
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by natnut
I have to say I'm mystified about the J-51's not lighting up the reflectors well in your car--as my photos show, they do a pretty adequate job. Perhaps there was some problem in inserting them all the way into the reflector bowl?

Thanks.

It really depends on how much light there is still outside. If it's pretty dark outside (after sunset) they light up the reflectors pretty well but if there's still a lot of light outside they look like a white dot in the housing. They match the stock 4300k pretty well but in my opinion not as well as the Polarg M6 bulbs. I'm going to sell my J-51's and go with M6. People complain they burn out too quickly but mine lasted over a year.
Old 03-24-06, 04:02 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by natnut

Thanks.
Can't, they are being sold, wrapped for shipping.
What I can tell you is that I looked at them in a closed garage that had NO lights on other than the J-51s. I expected to be blown away. I was not. The bulbs were inserted as far as they could go, normal mounting position.
Old 05-14-06, 05:01 PM
lexoman562
Lead Lap

i need a match for my 8000k kit...
Old 07-02-06, 10:52 PM
LexFather

THis thread is increcible.
Old 07-27-06, 08:28 PM
#1gs300
Lead Lap