Lighting A place to ask questions about HIDs & other Lexus lights

HID bulb vs. HID kit

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-04, 12:58 PM
caliness
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HID bulb vs. HID kit

I have a 96 LS400 which uses OEM halogen lamps. The lighting is excellent, no trouble there, but I'm looking for the modern blueish color. My question is, should I get the HID kit (with the transformers, bulbs, wires..etc.) or should I just buy the HID bulbs that usually sell for $15 and up but disperse only around 4000K? Or is it too risky or damaging to install any of these?
PS: My car uses H4 bulbs.
Old 08-03-04, 01:27 AM
EXE.UCF10
VIP|EXEstyle セルシオ

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

If you're satisfied with the light output of your halogens and don't want to dish out the 3 to 5 bills (depending on the quality of the kit and it being new or used) for an HID kit, then I suggest you settle for a pair of hyper-white bulbs made by either PIAA, RAZO, Raybrig, or Sylvania (Silverstars) from around $40-$100 (depending on the brand)...some of the non-reputable brands you find at your local Autozone, Pepboys, etc. will most likely melt your harnesses or explode due to higher than recommended wattages.

Personally, I'd highly recommend going with HIDs....you won't regret it...but then again, my opinion is biased.
Old 08-03-04, 09:55 AM
caliness
Pole Position

Originally posted by BR1AN
If you're satisfied with the light output of your halogens and don't want to dish out the 3 to 5 bills (depending on the quality of the kit and it being new or used) for an HID kit, then I suggest you settle for a pair of hyper-white bulbs made by either PIAA, RAZO, Raybrig, or Sylvania (Silverstars) from around $40-$100 (depending on the brand)...some of the non-reputable brands you find at your local Autozone, Pepboys, etc. will most likely melt your harnesses or explode due to higher than recommended wattages.

Personally, I'd highly recommend going with HIDs....you won't regret it...but then again, my opinion is biased.
What brand do you recommend for the HID kit?
Old 08-03-04, 11:57 AM
EXE.UCF10
VIP|EXEstyle セルシオ

Originally posted by caliness
What brand do you recommend for the HID kit?
Philips/Osram if you want OEM color (4100-4300K) or 6000K. Hella if you want 7500K.
Old 08-03-04, 12:00 PM
caliness
Pole Position

Philips/Osram if you want OEM color (4100-4300K) or 6000K. Hella if you want 7500K.
Does 6000K have the blueish look to it, or is it better to go higher like 7500K or more?
Old 08-03-04, 12:38 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Does 6000K have the blueish look to it, or is it better to go higher like 7500K or more?
yes, the 6000k already has the blueish look. do NOT get anything higher than 6000k, they are too blue, too dim, not worth it at all imho
Old 08-03-04, 12:43 PM
EXE.UCF10
VIP|EXEstyle セルシオ

I'd say 6000K has more of a pure white output with a very slight tint of purple to it (sorry Henry, but I have to respectfully [kind of] disagree with you ). The 7500K would probably give you the look you desire, but rominl is correct...it would be dimmer and would also increase the chance of getting pulled over by cops in certain cities.

Last edited by BR1AN; 08-03-04 at 12:45 PM.
Old 08-03-04, 01:00 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

I'd say 6000K has more of a pure white output with a very slight tint of purple to it (sorry Henry, but I have to respectfully [kind of] disagree with you ). The 7500K would probably give you the look you desire, but rominl is correct...it would be dimmer and would also increase the chance of getting pulled over by cops in certain cities.
no problem brian, you gave a much better description than i did, i can't complain!
Old 08-03-04, 01:11 PM
caliness
Pole Position

What is the intensity of the stock lexus HID bulbs?
Old 08-03-04, 01:57 PM
caliness
Pole Position

Has anyone tried H4 HID kits? Does it work for both low and high beams? Any info/pics appreciated.
Old 08-03-04, 02:43 PM
EXE.UCF10
VIP|EXEstyle セルシオ

What is the intensity of the stock lexus HID bulbs?
4100-4300K which is a pure white color...close to sunlight.
Has anyone tried H4 HID kits? Does it work for both low and high beams? Any info/pics appreciated.
I currently have an H4 (low-beam only) kit on my '91 LS. There are high/low beam H4 kits available that use a motorized shield to reflect the light in the reflector.

Bellof Hi-Low H4 kit:

http://www.bellof.co.jp/products/hl4s.html

Last edited by BR1AN; 08-03-04 at 02:44 PM.
Old 08-03-04, 03:27 PM
caliness
Pole Position

4100-4300K which is a pure white color...close to sunlight.
So, 6000K would be more blueish, brighter and at the same time legal?

I currently have an H4 (low-beam only) kit on my '91 LS.
How does it look? Are you happy with it? Do you have pics? What happens when you turn on the high beams?
Also, do you keep your headlights on auto? If so, does it overwork the bulb whenever you drive in and out of a tunnel and your headlights turn on and off?

There are high/low beam H4 kits available that use a motorized shield to reflect the light in the reflector.
Are these expensive? Are they worth it?

SORRY about all the questions! And thank you for your help!
Old 08-03-04, 05:23 PM
EXE.UCF10
VIP|EXEstyle セルシオ

So, 6000K would be more blueish, brighter and at the same time legal?
Yes, they'll look brigher to the human eye, but technically they're a 'lil bit dimmer in output compared to 4100-4300K (which is as bright as it gets). By legal, do you mean they're D.O.T. approved? No, they're not D.O.T. approved, but you will most likely not get pulled over for 6000K unless maybe you have your headlights purposedly aimed to blind other drivers.

Here's a decent comparison pic of OEM (left) vs. 6000K (right) on 2 IS300's:

How does it look? Are you happy with it? Do you have pics? What happens when you turn on the high beams?
Also, do you keep your headlights on auto? If so, does it overwork the bulb whenever you drive in and out of a tunnel and your headlights turn on and off?

I'm very happy with it. Nothing happens when I turn on the high beams since it's low beam only....however, when I try to flash using the highbeams, they turn off and then back on.

I don't have an auto option on my headlights. Probably wouldn't be a good idea to leave your headlights on auto since having them turn off and on within short intervals could possibly decrease the life of the bulbs.
Are these expensive? Are they worth it?

SORRY about all the questions! And thank you for your help!
Hi-Low H4 kits should run for usually around $100-$200 more than low-beam kits depending on the company/supplier. I have yet to see a Hi-Low kit in person, so I really couldn't tell you if it's worth it.

Last edited by BR1AN; 08-03-04 at 05:24 PM.
Old 08-03-04, 06:14 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

man brian covered almost everything i wanted to say already

and just to reinforce what brian said, 6000k is dimmer on the road, but if you look at the headlight it might look brigher coz' there are more glare
Old 08-03-04, 08:31 PM
caliness
Pole Position

Gee, thanks guys!! You answered each and every one of my questions!! When I get the chance (and $$$!) I will get the H4 hi/lo 6000K HID kit. I presume Philips is the best. I'll let you know how it looks/lights up.

Quick Reply: HID bulb vs. HID kit