Lighting A place to ask questions about HIDs & other Lexus lights

xenon hid headlamps

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-04, 10:45 AM
RayGS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by BrickHead
Why would a new HID bulb change color from white to amber after it's installed? After 10 minutes it's as amber as a regular light bulb? A defective bulb? In addition, how can u tell if the bulb is 5000k or 4100k by looking at it or its package? I don't see that anywhere on the bulb or the box it came in.
I don't know about the amber part.

To answer your question on 5000k, check the p/n.

http://faq.auto.light.tripod.com/hl-hid-bulbs.htm

85122+: D2S CM (Plus). 5000K. Aftermarked only. Ment to pair up with used 85122. Released Q4, 2002
85126+: D2R CM (Plus). 5000K. Aftermarked only. Ment to pair up with used 85126. Released Q4, 2002.

Last edited by RayGS3; 09-16-04 at 10:46 AM.
Old 09-16-04, 10:48 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally posted by BrickHead
Why would a new HID bulb change color from white to amber after it's installed? After 10 minutes it's as amber as a regular light bulb? A defective bulb? In addition, how can u tell if the bulb is 5000k or 4100k by looking at it or its package? I don't see that anywhere on the bulb or the box it came in.
i can't answer the ambert part. it might get whiter after turn on (initially pretty blue), but should go ambert like normal halogen.

and about the color, you can't really tell. you can only tell when the bulbs are on side by side and you see teh color
Old 09-17-04, 01:44 PM
tiguy99
Pole Position

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I'll chime in on this one rominl, the OEM HID bulbs start off as a whitish bulb with a hint of yellow to them. This is more apparent in Osram capsules vs. Philips. Philips have a slight green tint to them at first. After about 100 hours of use they begin the colorshift as the vapor salts and gases begin to burn a bluer arc. After a while they will continue to color shift until they die out somewhere around 3000 hours of solid use. When they die, the bulbs will be so purplish the output will be dim and somewhere around 10000K color and output.

The discrepancy from before is that when you buy replacement bulbs at the dealer, they know that the newer ones will be brighter and more amber/green in color temp initially. So they sell you the dimmer and bluer 5000K for a solid color match to the other existing capsule in the car. The dealer knows that most consumer aren't HID literate so they only care about getting the same thing they knew they had before the way they had it before the one or two capsules blew out. Does this make sense?
Old 09-19-04, 05:56 PM
Dislexic
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

10,000k would look crazy. I would think that a cop would pull you over for lights that looked like that.
Old 09-20-04, 12:39 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally posted by tiguy99
I'll chime in on this one rominl, the OEM HID bulbs start off as a whitish bulb with a hint of yellow to them. This is more apparent in Osram capsules vs. Philips. Philips have a slight green tint to them at first. After about 100 hours of use they begin the colorshift as the vapor salts and gases begin to burn a bluer arc. After a while they will continue to color shift until they die out somewhere around 3000 hours of solid use. When they die, the bulbs will be so purplish the output will be dim and somewhere around 10000K color and output.

The discrepancy from before is that when you buy replacement bulbs at the dealer, they know that the newer ones will be brighter and more amber/green in color temp initially. So they sell you the dimmer and bluer 5000K for a solid color match to the other existing capsule in the car. The dealer knows that most consumer aren't HID literate so they only care about getting the same thing they knew they had before the way they had it before the one or two capsules blew out. Does this make sense?
that's very interesting theory. it makes sense though, if dealership just wants to match the color and forget about people complaining. i cant' say whether this is really true or not though
Old 09-20-04, 09:48 AM
tiguy99
Pole Position

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

QUOTE]Originally posted by BrickHead
Why would a new HID bulb change color from white to amber after it's installed? After 10 minutes it's as amber as a regular light bulb? A defective bulb? In addition, how can u tell if the bulb is 5000k or 4100k by looking at it or its package? I don't see that anywhere on the bulb or the box it came in. [/QUOTE]

If you check the FAQ link above this one on bulbs, you'll find the explanation on the reputable companies and their capsule numbers. The explaination helps you to know which capsule to buy when you're looking. For example, I have Philips 4300K right now. My model # is 85122 D2S. When brand new, they burned really bright white with a tint of green. I was a little upset at the time as I had just upgraded from an older set of Osram 4100K which had colorshifted long before therefore having more whiter bluer ground and driving field illumination. Anyhow, my new extremely bright 4300K Philips soon began to color shift around 100 hours or so of driving (for me that was about 6-10 months) and now they look and continue to look like this.

As you can clearly see, the color on the ground is about 4300K in output. My projectors cause the purple effect that folks try to duplicate when buying higher kelvin tempurature bulbs (6000K and up). Theres nothing wrong with buying them if you want the ground color to look purpleish or blueish etc. Just keep in mind that when you do this, you're loosing lumens (which is the most important part of having HID over halogen bulbs). To prove it, pull up with 7000K or 10000K HID and sit next to BMW or Audi with HID and you'll see ver quickly that their output eclipses yours simply because their cars (4100-4300K)are putting down more light than yours. Does this make sense?