Notices
Lighting A place to ask questions about HIDs & other Lexus lights

Removing moonroof / map light panel for one-of-a-kind / first ever on CL mod?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-04, 10:17 PM
jtanoyo1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Should be no biggie, Cliff. Maybe you can tap the power wire from your autodimming rearview mirror? Isn't that constant power?
Old 11-09-04, 09:48 AM
TRD-bB
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It would be nice to tap the power from parking lights........

The hard part is drilling holes on your perfectly fine overhead console.....scary
From what I've notice on the LS and the Acura TL, the holes are slighty angled toward the dash area, as not to bother the driver with direct LED light.

I don't have a GS....sorry But you guys should have the moonroof control on the overhead console, just like the LS, can't you tap that power? no need to run wire up from the A piller......just my 2 cents

I guess a lot of people speak chinese on this forum, I know I do

Good luck

adrian

Last edited by TRD-bB; 11-09-04 at 10:00 AM.
Old 11-09-04, 10:12 AM
cliffud
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah, we can tap power from the moonroof console however we want to make sure the power goes off when we shut down the car... otherwise.. dead battery.

I wonder how many of us are Asian. I'm 100% Chinese.

c.

Originally posted by TRD-bB
It would be nice to tap the power from parking lights........

The hard part is drilling holes on your perfectly fine overhead console.....scary
From what I've notice on the LS and the Acura TL, the holes are slighty angled toward the dash area, as not to bother the driver with direct LED light.

I don't have a GS....sorry But you guys should have the moonroof control on the overhead console, just like the LS, can't you tap that power? no need to run wire up from the A piller......just my 2 cents

I guess a lot of people speak chinese on this forum, I know I do

Good luck

adrian
Old 11-09-04, 10:18 AM
TRD-bB
Pole Position

Originally posted by cliffud
Yeah, we can tap power from the moonroof console however we want to make sure the power goes off when we shut down the car... otherwise.. dead battery.

c.
I'm 50% Chinese, but I grew up in HKG, I guess that makes up for the other 50%

From my understanding, the moonroof power only stays on for 30 seconds after you remove your key.
So I guess you won't have the problem of draining your battery.

btw, are there any backlighting for switches up on the overhead console that only comes on when you turn on you headlights? Maybe you can tap those power.

I tapped the parking lights power when I install my footwell LEDs on the IS. so it only comes on at night
Old 11-09-04, 11:24 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally posted by cliffud

c.
100% chinese here too
Old 11-09-04, 01:50 PM
GammaLex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

When im done eating at Asian Super Buffet im 10% Asian
Old 11-09-04, 01:53 PM
cliffud
Former Vendor

Default i'm a big chinese guy...

that would be 25lbs of chow mein for me!!

Originally posted by GammaLex
When im done eating at Asian Super Buffet im 10% Asian
Old 03-09-05, 08:22 AM
gsfor
Rookie

any updates on a diy for this mod
Old 03-09-05, 09:04 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

i have to say, after sitting in the 3gs, those are some very nice touches to the car
Old 03-09-05, 09:28 AM
LEXUS_KID
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jtanoyo1
I've been looking to do this for a long time, but I can't bring myself to start drilling holes into the plastic area around the map light. Since I have a 5 series at home, I can use it as a "template" for the holes. In fact, the holes are drilled at an angle away from the driver so from where you are sitting on driver's seat, you won't be able to see the LEDs at all. All you can see is the ambient reddish glow all over your center console.

It's not a very complicated project and I suggest to tap to parking light so everytime you turn on your light, these LEDs will turn on too, and only at night.

I got a huge LED project for the whole car in 2005 which includes illuminated interior door handles, illuminated cup holders, illuminated outside door handles and lower side mirrors, illuminated center console and of course the illuminated underbody sideskirts. Of course, all the exterior stuff will only light up when you unlock your car with a remote and in conjunction with your center interior dome light. (VIP magazines are your friend!)

Hey Jtanoyo already doing the moding your referring to except for the mirrors. The piece I used for the over head counsel was from an 05 RANGE ROVER it works great it already has the soft white leds in it plus the added bonuses it take the 194 wedge bulbs which the PIAA super white leds will put a nice touch to reading that map. Instead of the twist in round bulbs. For the door handles I'm tapping in off of the window switches which is great feature because when you have the windows on lock only the driver side will illuminate which I thought would be cool. I'm also planning to do the floor when the car goes into park like on the ES and LS it will also illuminate should look really cool when its done. Keep me in the loop on your project.
Old 03-09-05, 10:25 AM
gsfor
Rookie

so i ask again any updates for a diy
Old 03-18-05, 06:12 PM
omaha_lex
Pole Position

Originally Posted by gsfor
so i ask again any updates for a diy
I don't know what I'm doing in the GS forum, but I think that my experience doing this mod to my 98 ES might come in handy to you GS guys. I grew really attached to the similar setup in my TL so I decided to do it in my ES as well. I have 3 blue 3mm LEDs in my overhead console (two between the map light and sunglass holder and one in the middle of the front of the console, towards the rear-view mirror). I wired them in series, added a resistor, and tapped into the sunroof controls (to figure out which wires, I just touched the two wires to the milti-pin connector until the LEDs lit up). The [bad] thing about this setup is that I didn't wire in an auxillary switch to turn them on/off. HOWEVER, after I got it all wired up and put back together I realized that they go off when I tilt the sunroof (even tilted so little that it is still waterproof) or when the sunroof is slid halfway back. That was a really cool little discovery for me because now I can turn it off and not have to mess with cutting more holes and mounting an unsightly switch up there . Yes, the LEDs are on during the day as well, but who cares? You don't notice it anyways.

Oh, the LEDs are currently mounted with little LED clip-in holders that I bought from allelectronics.com and painted tan (with model paint) to match the trim. I need to change the mounting a little because it has a little glare at night; I plan on removing the clips and mounting each LED in its own plastic tube (1/2" long?) like in my TL. Also, here's a little hint for working with narrow viewing-angle LEDs: to get a more even light pattern, file off the top of the LED (as long as you dont get too close to the little metal part inside the LED it won't hurt anything).

I've also got a similar setup in each of the map pockets in the front doors (3 blue LEDs per door) and am planning on adding some LEDs to the footwells.

I hope this helps, I'll post pics of my setup later.
Old 03-25-05, 05:51 PM
cliffud
Former Vendor

Default I put this project on the backburner for a bit...

I was working on a projector.

It's a homemade projector. Plans are from lumenlab.com

I'll try to work on the overhead lights this weekend.
Old 03-25-05, 07:26 PM
Dsmart
Pole Position

That is what I am talking about, I wanted a 2004 TL but I didn't have 33K cash, I can't finance anything had to pay $21K for the 2002 gs430 which I don't regret at all, F the TL but the lights sure are nice though the speedometer blue light for sure.
Old 03-25-05, 07:51 PM
LEXUS_KID
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LEXUS_KID
Hey Jtanoyo already doing the moding your referring to except for the mirrors. The piece I used for the over head counsel was from an 05 RANGE ROVER it works great it already has the soft white leds in it plus the added bonuses it take the 194 wedge bulbs which the PIAA super white leds will put a nice touch to reading that map. Instead of the twist in round bulbs. For the door handles I'm tapping in off of the window switches which is great feature because when you have the windows on lock only the driver side will illuminate which I thought would be cool. I'm also planning to do the floor when the car goes into park like on the ES and LS it will also illuminate should look really cool when its done. Keep me in the loop on your project.

Here a picture of the RANGE ROVER still needs a little more work but I'm get there

Last edited by LEXUS_KID; 02-18-08 at 01:55 PM.

Quick Reply: Removing moonroof / map light panel for one-of-a-kind / first ever on CL mod?