Lighting A place to ask questions about HIDs & other Lexus lights

Evasive loose HID connection

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-04, 01:10 PM
Lexologist
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Evasive loose HID connection

I upgraded to HID lighting about 4 months ago, where the difference was incredible. I was sure that the SC was "supposed" to have HID lighting instead of Halogen by the drastically improved night apperance.

About 2 weeks ago, I noticed that one light stopped lighting up. Thought it was odd until it happended a couple of days later. I was able to trace a wire into the ingniter/ballast, shake it, and resume functionality. I quickly realized that this had to be done EVERY time I wanted to drive at night; unacceptable.

I removed the ballast to resolder the loose connection for what I thought would be a 20 minute session. It has been 6 hours, and it is still not working w/o shaking it.

The losse connection is on the "output" wires (2 wires) to HID bulb. I could not directly trace the wire to the PCB board since their is a containing mystery white box. I assumed that it was vacummed shut since it did not appear "openable". So instead a soldered a couple of wires to the back of the PCB, where I confirmed a connection to the outside connectors, and formed a T-Connection mid way to the outside connector wires. So, if the primary wire fails, then their will be an alternative route to power.

This shpuld have solved the problem, but didn't. Instead it got worst. I severed the new wires and it works in the same "jingle" way. Im pretty frustrated, so any help would help before tomorrow morning.

The ballast has won for today

Let me know what you guys think; dont wanna order an other since this is a geniune Phillips ballast.