Lighting A place to ask questions about HIDs & other Lexus lights

Evasive loose HID connection

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-04, 01:17 PM
Lexologist
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Evasive loose HID connection

I upgraded to HID lighting about 4 months ago, where the difference was incredible. I was sure that the SC was "supposed" to have HID lighting instead of Halogen by the drastically improved night apperance.

About 2 weeks ago, I noticed that one light stopped lighting up. Thought it was odd until it happended a couple of days later. I was able to trace a wire into the ingniter/ballast, shake it, and resume functionality. I quickly realized that this had to be done EVERY time I wanted to drive at night; unacceptable.

I removed the ballast to resolder the loose connection for what I thought would be a 20 minute session. It has been 6 hours, and it is still not working w/o shaking it.

The losse connection is on the "output" wires (2 wires) to HID bulb. I could not directly trace the wire to the PCB board since their is a containing mystery white box. I assumed that it was vacummed shut since it did not appear "openable". So instead a soldered a couple of wires to the back of the PCB, where I confirmed a connection to the outside connectors, and formed a T-Connection mid way to the outside connector wires. So, if the primary wire fails, then their will be an alternative route to power.

This shpuld have solved the problem, but didn't. Instead it got worst. I severed the new wires and it works in the same "jingle" way. Im pretty frustrated, so any help would help before tomorrow morning.

The ballast has won for today

Let me know what you guys think; dont wanna order an other since this is a geniune Phillips ballast.
Old 11-13-04, 01:56 PM
setwire
Pole Position

Default Ballast Wire Problem

You should have some kind of a warranty with that Phillips Ballast.
Contact Phillips and send it back under warranty for replacement.

Rob
Old 11-13-04, 03:41 PM
THE_CEO
Pole Position

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts

i had a similar problem with mine for a few days...then i started turning my lights on after i started my car...it seem to work...now i always do it...

CEO
Old 11-13-04, 03:51 PM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally posted by THE_CEO
i had a similar problem with mine for a few days...then i started turning my lights on after i started my car...it seem to work...now i always do it...

CEO
I noticed the same thing. It seems that if I started the car with the light switch on, one of the bulbs would not light up. This did not happen every time, but it was frequent. This never happened to me if the light switch was off before I started the car, and then turned the switch on...

Ryan

Last edited by SC400T; 11-13-04 at 03:57 PM.
Old 11-13-04, 11:26 PM
SC400Dude
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by SC400T
I noticed the same thing. It seems that if I started the car with the light switch on, one of the bulbs would not light up. This did not happen every time, but it was frequent. This never happened to me if the light switch was off before I started the car, and then turned the switch on...

Ryan
Same thing happens to me....

When I got my HID's a few years ago, I noticed that one of the bulbs flickered to a stop....it was later traced to a bad alternator and eventually lead to a bad power steering pump (Leaked onto the Alt)
With a new Alternator, they fire right up, even when the car is warmed up.

But the HID's would never turn on once you turn the car on with the switch already on.....on some occasions, I'll turn the car off forgetting to turn the switch off. When I turn my car on again, I have no light. I have to turn the switch off, then back on again to get them to ignite...LoL...weird.....
Old 11-14-04, 05:51 AM
Lexologist
Driver

SC400Dude, my power sterring pump did start leaking about a week ago. I chopped-it-up to routine car maintenance. I tried "power steering stop leak" before I went into the engin dismanteling and it stopped.

Checked the alternator output and is running at 13.46VDC Strong.

Whats up with the HID gremlin? Is there anyway that we can retrofit 2001+ stock Lexus HID units?

I second, the Weird.
Old 11-14-04, 08:27 AM
setwire
Pole Position

Default HID Igniter

HID lights have an igniter that fires them on at 25,000 volts.
The igniters is activated off your headlight relay.
If you turn your car off and leave the headlights on, when you staryt your car again with the headlights already in the on position the igniter doesn't detect the signal from your headlight relay and it doesn't fire your hid's.

Rob
Old 11-14-04, 01:32 PM
THE_CEO
Pole Position

Ryan
hey man thanks for telling me....lol..j/k...

CEO
Old 11-14-04, 01:34 PM
THE_CEO
Pole Position

Default Re: HID Igniter

Originally posted by setwire
HID lights have an igniter that fires them on at 25,000 volts.
The igniters is activated off your headlight relay.
If you turn your car off and leave the headlights on, when you staryt your car again with the headlights already in the on position the igniter doesn't detect the signal from your headlight relay and it doesn't fire your hid's.

Rob
ok so this is not a good nor a bad thing right....i just turn my lights off when i get out of the car anyway...i just dont wanna screw anything up...

CEO
Old 11-14-04, 02:48 PM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally posted by THE_CEO
hey man thanks for telling me....lol..j/k...

CEO
It was nothing to tell... ...IMHO, One should always turn their lights off when parking their car and shutting down. It's just if you forget, the Lex will shut off the lights anyway when removing the key.

You won't hurt anything by not doing this, but you will be driving with either 1 headlight on, or none...

Anyway, remember, anytime we modify our cars from factory specs, we must expect that there is a possibility of functionality being different...

Ryan

Last edited by SC400T; 11-14-04 at 02:49 PM.
Old 11-14-04, 05:00 PM
setwire
Pole Position

Default HID's

THE_CEO

No you won't screw anything up by forgetting to turn off your headlights.
Just HID's will not ignite unless you do.
It will not screw up your new HID headlights by doing this..
They just won't come on.

Rob
Old 11-14-04, 07:27 PM
THE_CEO
Pole Position

It was nothing to tell... ...IMHO, One should always turn their lights off when parking their car and shutting down. It's just if you forget, the Lex will shut off the lights anyway when removing the key.

You won't hurt anything by not doing this, but you will be driving with either 1 headlight on, or none...

Anyway, remember, anytime we modify our cars from factory specs, we must expect that there is a possibility of functionality being different...

Ryan
yeah i know i was just kidding....this isnt my first mod rodeo!

CEO
Old 11-14-04, 07:29 PM
THE_CEO
Pole Position

Default Re: HID's

Originally posted by setwire
THE_CEO

No you won't screw anything up by forgetting to turn off your headlights.
Just HID's will not ignite unless you do.
It will not screw up your new HID headlights by doing this..
They just won't come on.

Rob
yeah i kinda figured that..... but i just wanted to make sure...

CEO
Old 11-14-04, 08:56 PM
vinh
Lexus Champion

phew good, i thought i was the only one that had the problem.
yea just waiting until my car is turned on, than the HID's will light right up just fine.
although this never did happen with my 4300k kit. kinda weird.

i guess there is only one asnwer to this problem, and it is to RETROFIT
Old 11-15-04, 10:28 AM
THE_CEO
Pole Position

Originally posted by vinh
phew good, i thought i was the only one that had the problem.
yea just waiting until my car is turned on, than the HID's will light right up just fine.
although this never did happen with my 4300k kit. kinda weird.

i guess there is only one asnwer to this problem, and it is to RETROFIT

he he i knew there were others....thanks for stepping up!

CEO

Quick Reply: Evasive loose HID connection