Lighting A place to ask questions about HIDs & other Lexus lights

whats needed for hid conversion on 98 ls400

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-04 | 12:10 PM
newwave88
Rookie

Default whats needed for hid conversion on 98 ls400

i recently purchased a 98 ls400 and it has halogen bulbs and i wanted to convert them to HID headlights. i know for sure i need the bulbs and the ballasts, is there anything else? or maybe if someone has a kit for sale? thank you all
Old 11-23-04 | 01:23 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

You might try searching salvage yards for HID components from a 98-00 LS. Almost all 99-00 had HID even if it was supposedly a package option for those years. Surely there are some in the salvage yards by now. The 98-00 OEM HID has autoleveling although it might be a trick to install the front and rear height control sensors and the ECU. I wonder if the manual HID height control from a Sienna van could be adapted.

When I drove a 98 LS in the fall of 1997, I thought the standard halogen headlights of the 98 LS seemed absolutely spectacular compaired to the headlights on the 90 LS I had then. The dealer did, however, complain to me that he could not get HID on all 98 LS's. Have you tried aftermarket bulbs? For about $20 you can buy a pair of Wagner BriteLite bulbs. http://www.brandsport.com/w9003.html I did quite a few side by side comparisons on bulbs a few years ago and thought they provided noticably more and whiter light - but I am a bit vision challenged and it may be more noticable to me. And there are always blue coated bulbs like Silverstars although there seem to be quite a few complaints about Silverstars not lasting long.
Old 11-23-04 | 02:22 PM
EXE.UCF10
VIP|EXEstyle セルシオ

You could do what Kansas suggested if you want to go with OEM HIDs, but installing the auto levelling equipment and getting it to work properly will be a diffucult task.

If you're looking to get a certain color (i.e. 6000K, 7500K, etc.), another option would be to just simply buy an aftermarket plug-n-play HID kit.... everything you need to get started should be included with it (i.e. HID bulbs, ballasts, wiring, relay).
Old 11-23-04 | 08:26 PM
cutecboy
Intermediate

lol its not really plug and play .. it only is pnp when u actually know how to splice the wires correctly! brian him self did not do it hahahah so pnp is not a word to be used here.. just buy aftermarket.. u should be fine.. i would say instal it ur self.. its simple!
Old 11-23-04 | 11:35 PM
LOTC
VIP 様式

Originally posted by cutecboy
lol its not really plug and play .. it only is pnp when u actually know how to splice the wires correctly! brian him self did not do it hahahah so pnp is not a word to be used here.. just buy aftermarket.. u should be fine.. i would say instal it ur self.. its simple!
lol...
Old 11-24-04 | 10:01 PM
EXE.UCF10
VIP|EXEstyle セルシオ

Originally posted by cutecboy
Uhhh...aftermarket kits are plug and play...and it's three words, not one (plug-and-play) <--see...three words!

Anyway, plug and play does not require any wire splicing at all. It just so happens that my kit was a lemon (I told you that at least 3-4 times ) due to faulty wiring on one of the HID bulbs, which is why I had that problem with one of the bulbs not turning on at times even after I had the kit hardwired into my car. Thanks to the hardwiring/splicing, I have a cleaner install, and I don't have to worry about my battery dying because I left my HIDs on at a CL meet...LOL!

Last edited by BR1AN; 11-24-04 at 10:02 PM.
Old 11-24-04 | 10:37 PM
LOTC
VIP 様式

lol... again
Old 11-26-04 | 08:59 PM
cutecboy
Intermediate

Originally posted by BR1AN
Uhhh...aftermarket kits are plug and play...and it's three words, not one (plug-and-play) <--see...three words!

Anyway, plug and play does not require any wire splicing at all. It just so happens that my kit was a lemon (I told you that at least 3-4 times ) due to faulty wiring on one of the HID bulbs, which is why I had that problem with one of the bulbs not turning on at times even after I had the kit hardwired into my car. Thanks to the hardwiring/splicing, I have a cleaner install, and I don't have to worry about my battery dying because I left my HIDs on at a CL meet...LOL!
well my battery died cuz i am vip! and i am pumping too much juice on that car.. but dont worry no more of that.. i got 2 optima.. will never die again! even with all the juice im pumping! hahahhahahah oh and the bypass valve going off when i pass u