Lighting A place to ask questions about HIDs & other Lexus lights

banning hid? what do you think?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-04, 10:01 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts
Default banning hid? what do you think?

so i am sure a lot of you remember the "official" banning on the hid kits some time last yr in 2003.... a lot of the shops were scared by the hefty fine and bailed out of the business. well, one yr has passed, and recently i searched on the internet and "surprisingly" i still see tons of different brands of hid kits being sold everywhere.

so what's up with all that? i think there is no doubt that the invention of the hid is awesome, that's why a lot of vehicles and manufacturers are using hid on their cars now. basically with the correct design, the hid has a lot more light output, a much sharper (and safer) cutoff, and supposedly it lasts longer.

i think the main reason for the ban was people complaining saying that they got glare from hid, etc... now partially i believe is just people somehwo choose to stare at the lights for no reason, so of course they get glare. but mostly it's due to people with hid kits in the non-hid housing too, that i can understand the problem imposed.

with all that said, and the fact that the hid banning law is no where near enforced, how long do you guys think this hid debate is going to last for before all people shut up and just accept the fact that hid is good, and it's going to be the future? it's just like when they switched to halogen lights, you hear debates everywhere, but eventually everyone forgot about that already.

my guess is this debate will still go on for another 2 yrs maybe, where by then most of the cars would have hid, and also a lot of less cars will have hid kits.... and when i think about that..... i find the hid banning law pretty stupid...
Old 11-26-04, 10:26 AM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

yes...its stupid.

I'd like to see more R&D into LED headlights.

Pete
Old 11-26-04, 10:53 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by PHML
yes...its stupid.

I'd like to see more R&D into LED headlights.

Pete
hey that's some good ideas pete. i know you have done a lot of research on that, anything that you can shed light with us?
Old 11-26-04, 11:02 PM
see_fu
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LED is definitely going to be the next generation in lighting. It's amazing how much output a single LED can generate.
Old 11-26-04, 11:26 PM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Yes....I think if quality control is priority....then LED headlights will be the next generation of lighting.

Imagine it will only take a couple watts (if even that) for LED headlights. HIDs take up 35 watts....and regular halogens take up 55 watts.
Old 11-26-04, 11:36 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Yes....I think if quality control is priority....then LED headlights will be the next generation of lighting.

Imagine it will only take a couple watts (if even that) for LED headlights. HIDs take up 35 watts....and regular halogens take up 55 watts.
that's always the trend right? less and les spower
Old 11-27-04, 04:16 PM
THE_CEO
Pole Position

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts

HID's are great i think all cars should eventually have them....it is always easier to see a car with the lights on than the ones that dont...it might even help with accidents...if they all had DRL's...

CEO
Old 11-29-04, 12:23 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by THE_CEO
HID's are great i think all cars should eventually have them....it is always easier to see a car with the lights on than the ones that dont...it might even help with accidents...if they all had DRL's...

CEO
i read a report somewhere that with DRL the accident rates do decrease by couple of %. i have to agree, DRL or some sort does help on accident rate
Old 12-02-04, 01:23 PM
HKS_GS430
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the ban is toward people whole put them in non projection head lights, it is very annoying to be in front of someone who got their hids just spraying light all over the place, like dam flood lights, if they would just keep the hids in projections and not reg housing it would be all good.
Old 12-02-04, 01:51 PM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Well....maybe HID kits should be sold in D2R bulbs as an option. Right now....all kits are D2S....wassup with dat!!!

Pete
Old 12-02-04, 02:20 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Well....maybe HID kits should be sold in D2R bulbs as an option. Right now....all kits are D2S....wassup with dat!!!

Pete
i agree, i think with d2r bulbs, it would be better

however, the problem is the 9006 (for example) socket. once you put the bult in and twist, the gnd wire doesn't necessarily point down all the time. it sometimes depends on how the 9006 socket on the headlight/fglight is setup. i think that's the problem