Lighting A place to ask questions about HIDs & other Lexus lights

Sylvania Silverstar lights

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-04, 10:25 PM
Lexus007
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sylvania Silverstar lights

These are great and they also provide better and clearer driving views. Some states that are strict on D.O.T approved lights but these are D.O.T approved with not blue glare that doesn't attract cops. I bought these from Checkers and they are not too pricey around $50 for both a pair. The light numbers are 9005 ST for low beam, H7 for High beam and H3 for the foglights(info for those too lazy or those without owners manuals).

Old 12-08-04, 11:26 PM
juan01
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah, they are good.. Been using them for awhile now.
Old 12-09-04, 12:23 AM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

I love them. I've been using them for awhile too. The ones I have now, have lasted for over a year. Many say that they last about 6 months. Well not for me. The PIAA's are really good too. I kinda like the way they look and the vsion you get with those over the Silverstars. However the PIAA's are about 10-20 bucks more.
Old 12-09-04, 01:18 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts
Default Re: Sylvania Silverstar lights

Originally posted by Lexus007
These are great and they also provide better and clearer driving views. Some states that are strict on D.O.T approved lights but these are D.O.T approved with not blue glare that doesn't attract cops.
A little FYI to disspell misleading things that were just mentioned...

DOT aka Dept of Transportation (Federal or State) does not "APPROVE" anything. Anything driven on public roads/highways must be compliant to Dept. of Transportation Regulations. Silverstars are clearly compliant light bulbs to DOT standards...but they are not "DOT approved". If anything on a package says "DOT Approved" it's bogus.

Last edited by flipside909; 12-09-04 at 01:18 AM.
Old 12-09-04, 04:45 AM
Lexusfreak
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Cool

I wonder how long they last compared to conventional OEM replacement bulbs?
Old 12-09-04, 05:53 AM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally posted by Lexus007
The light numbers are 9005 ST for low beam, H7 for High beam and H3 for the foglights(info for those too lazy or those without owners manuals).
You got the first two mixed up bro. Low beam = H7 type, high beam = 9005 type
Originally posted by Lexusfreak
wonder how long they last compared to conventional OEM replacement bulbs?
Even though the wattage from both bulbs is the same, most here say that the Silverstars last just as long, if not longer than the stock halogen bulbs. Just make sure when you install the new bulbs, you don't touch the glass part of the bulb with your bare fingers as it could shorten the life of the bulb. Use clean protective rubber gloves.
Old 12-09-04, 07:32 AM
SC400-V8
Racer

I have them in my SC and can say they definitely help vision, especially with high-beams... and also, they make the car look HOTT. I mean, when I see my cars reflection in the windows, all I can think is "Now -THAT'S a high-end import!"
Old 12-09-04, 08:54 AM
Woogie
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

how much of a color difference is there? i know with many after market bulbs, the problem is that they have the cool white look, but the light output is reduced...
Old 12-09-04, 10:27 AM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by Woogie
how much of a color difference is there? i know with many after market bulbs, the problem is that they have the cool white look, but the light output is reduced...
If you want a significant improvement on light output, I suggest going with an HID kit install or retrofit. There's simply no substitute for HID, and the nice thing about it is that HID uses less wattage than from stock halogen bulbs. You get the best of both worlds, but that usually comes at a hefty price
Old 12-09-04, 11:40 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally posted by Woogie
What's great about Silverstars, light output is a very bright white unlike those aftermarket blue coated bulbs you see. Most companies will claim high K (Kelvin rating) or like HID color, but really, blue colored bulbs actually hinder illumniation in inclement weather despite the claims. The Sylvania Silverstars are proven bulbs and they do give a very clean bright white light.

Also beware with HID retrofit bulbs. Your halogen designed headlight reflectors are not engineered to focus an HID bulb beam. Also with the higher K ratings....more blue or more purple, they actually reduce your illumination rather than increase it. Remember that blue/ultravioilet light waves don't travel as far as a white or yellow lightwave length.
Old 12-09-04, 03:03 PM
vinh
Lexus Champion

here's a pic fromw hen i had sylvanias on my 93 es

Old 12-09-04, 04:22 PM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Sylvanias on a '92-'94 ES (the ones with the yellow round fog lights) are a great lighting combo IMO
Old 12-09-04, 08:20 PM
steviej
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you go to Sylvania's website, click to automotive lighting and then search on rebates, you can print the rebate form to get $5 back on a pair of silverstars.

I just redid my highs and fogs with them. The fogs are not the color that I expected and don't really match the HID, but should match the highs (problem is they ain't ever on at the same time).

So far I am impressed.

I have been using the silverstar in my motorcycle for over a year now, too.

My friend has a 91 Gran Marquis and I put in a set of 4 sealed beam lamps (all silverstars) and they made a drastic difference there, too.

steviej
Old 12-10-04, 02:14 PM
Wald GS
O.C. Lucky Strike Fanatic

Very nice quality bulbs!! I'm running those same bulbs in my foglights to better match the brightness of the hid's but in yellow. IMO these are the best bulbs money can buy!

Last edited by Wald GS; 12-10-04 at 02:14 PM.
Old 12-10-04, 06:32 PM
juan01
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by lexusk8
Sylvanias on a '92-'94 ES (the ones with the yellow round fog lights) are a great lighting combo IMO
I love this combo too, I have it.

Quick Reply: Sylvania Silverstar lights