Notices
Lighting A place to ask questions about HIDs & other Lexus lights

Recently Installed HID Kit In My Fogs And...

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-05, 03:41 PM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recently Installed HID Kit In My Fogs And...

It is EXTREMELY bright.. .. One problem that I have that I hope someone here can clear up.. I am positive that I did the installation right or else it wouldn't light up at all , and I changed out the 15amp to the 20amp fuse but sometimes I turn on my foglights and only the passenger side lights up.. I have to turn off/on the foglights/lowbeam a few times and then the driver side fogs light up again.. I checked the wirings and everything and it seems fine.. Anyone with HID fogs experience this problem too? I want to make sure there is only one fuse you have to change right? The fuse box I am talking about is the one underneath the steering column right??

Thanks!

Btw, its the philips 4300k kit so quality shouldn't be an issue..
Old 01-14-05, 05:15 PM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

There are 3 fuses.....the first one is attached to the power cable for the HID kit....i think that one is 20 amps. The other 2 fuses are in the fuse box nearest the battery.....1 for each side.....15 amps i recall.

Pete
Old 01-14-05, 08:23 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

nononono, for the fogs, that's only one fuse and that's on the driver side fuse panel under the dash. and that's all i had to change to 20amp

for the fogs, are you sure you are not somehow applying any pressue on the ballast? happened to my friend before, and ended up one ballast is constantly pressed and cause the problem
Old 01-15-05, 04:59 AM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

Thanks guys I will check it out.. I placed both ballast on the passenger side of the engine on the little "ledge". It is right underneath my injen intake. Literally right underneath the filter..
Old 01-16-05, 01:47 PM
MASH835
Driver

Originally Posted by D-MAN63
It is EXTREMELY bright.. .. One problem that I have that I hope someone here can clear up.. I am positive that I did the installation right or else it wouldn't light up at all , and I changed out the 15amp to the 20amp fuse but sometimes I turn on my foglights and only the passenger side lights up.. I have to turn off/on the foglights/lowbeam a few times and then the driver side fogs light up again.. I checked the wirings and everything and it seems fine.. Anyone with HID fogs experience this problem too? I want to make sure there is only one fuse you have to change right? The fuse box I am talking about is the one underneath the steering column right??

Thanks!

Btw, its the philips 4300k kit so quality shouldn't be an issue..

I also got HID Kit (philips) for my Fogs, (didn't install it yet).
Why did you change the fog fuse? My kit already came with a wiring harness that includes a 20amp fuse, Are you using wiring harness or you connected your HID ballasts straight off of your existing OEM wiring ?!
Old 01-16-05, 10:00 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by D-MAN63
Thanks guys I will check it out.. I placed both ballast on the passenger side of the engine on the little "ledge". It is right underneath my injen intake. Literally right underneath the filter..
is it one on top of the other? i don't know if that makes any difference.

but for me i zip tie them right behind the crush bar of the car, very secured and nice
Old 01-16-05, 10:01 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by MASH835
I also got HID Kit (philips) for my Fogs, (didn't install it yet).
Why did you change the fog fuse? My kit already came with a wiring harness that includes a 20amp fuse, Are you using wiring harness or you connected your HID ballasts straight off of your existing OEM wiring ?!
well if you get all the power from the battery directly (some of the kits are like this) then you might be ok. some kits, at least mine, they get the power directly from the stock wiring. the stock fogs are under one 15amp fuse, and that's not enough to power two hid setup. you need 20amp
Old 01-17-05, 05:11 AM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

My ballast are placed next to each other right under my injen intake filter on the small "ledge".. I checked to see if its rubbing on anything and its not.. I have to check the wiring again but I am sure the wiring is okay because sometime when I turn it on , both light up with no problem but sometimes only the passenger side works.. argh , its so annoying..
Old 01-17-05, 10:03 AM
MASH835
Driver

Originally Posted by rominl
well if you get all the power from the battery directly (some of the kits are like this) then you might be ok. some kits, at least mine, they get the power directly from the stock wiring. the stock fogs are under one 15amp fuse, and that's not enough to power two hid setup. you need 20amp
Powering the ballasts directly from the OEM light wiring as far as know is not safe!!
Please check 'Automotive lighting FAQ' - Electrical Wiring ...

And this is from HIDPlanet
"Some people out there just aren't aware of the dangers with wiring HID straight off of your existing oem wiring. Should a relay be used to power HID, yes and always needs to be used. Why you ask perhaps? Your oem halogen equiped car was never designed or intended from the manufacturer to use or run high voltage/high current/ high amperage HID ballasts. Ballast draw a imense amount of amps upon start-up and could very seriosuly damage your wiring and not just at where its connected. We are talking serious damage to fuse boxes, ecu's, or worse could short and cause fires on very old cares that even have a hard enough time trying to power halogen. The reason why is, that when the ballast "demand" power, your car has to supply it from somewhere. Lets say its tapped into your oem headlight wire ok. Now you power up the ballasts, the draw current from your wiring, your wiring might not be up to the task so its needs help, t searches for a source and before you know it, you've now weakend not only one source but two now just to try and supply the ballast good clean power. This is why a relay harness is needed. A relay harness gets its power straight from the battery via relays. These relays are then wired to go to your ballasts now. "

How is it going for you rominl?? Did you make any mod to the wiring harness to make it working?
If so can you please explain it..

Last edited by MASH835; 01-17-05 at 10:12 AM.
Old 01-17-05, 12:08 PM
NT2SHBBY
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

D-sounds like a tempermental ballast....swap ballasts from each side and see if the driver side is intermittent....if it is, it's your ballast....

btw bring ur butt to Queens so I can see these suckas at night...I been wanting to do the same to my yellows
Old 01-17-05, 11:40 PM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by PHML
There are 3 fuses.....the first one is attached to the power cable for the HID kit....i think that one is 20 amps. The other 2 fuses are in the fuse box nearest the battery.....1 for each side.....15 amps i recall.

Pete
Oops...sorry abt that...that was for low-beams. Rom is right....only 1 fuse for fogs...I stand corrected.

Pete
Old 01-18-05, 01:05 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by MASH835
Powering the ballasts directly from the OEM light wiring as far as know is not safe!!
Please check 'Automotive lighting FAQ' - Electrical Wiring ...

And this is from HIDPlanet
"Some people out there just aren't aware of the dangers with wiring HID straight off of your existing oem wiring. Should a relay be used to power HID, yes and always needs to be used. Why you ask perhaps? Your oem halogen equiped car was never designed or intended from the manufacturer to use or run high voltage/high current/ high amperage HID ballasts. Ballast draw a imense amount of amps upon start-up and could very seriosuly damage your wiring and not just at where its connected. We are talking serious damage to fuse boxes, ecu's, or worse could short and cause fires on very old cares that even have a hard enough time trying to power halogen. The reason why is, that when the ballast "demand" power, your car has to supply it from somewhere. Lets say its tapped into your oem headlight wire ok. Now you power up the ballasts, the draw current from your wiring, your wiring might not be up to the task so its needs help, t searches for a source and before you know it, you've now weakend not only one source but two now just to try and supply the ballast good clean power. This is why a relay harness is needed. A relay harness gets its power straight from the battery via relays. These relays are then wired to go to your ballasts now. "

How is it going for you rominl?? Did you make any mod to the wiring harness to make it working?
If so can you please explain it..
i actually agree with what's said above. first of all that's why the kits i had, they had individual relay for each side of the headlights. this can help the situation a bit. also, when i have my hid kids, i never set my headlights to auto. igniting the hid definitely take a lot of power, and i agree that the stock wirings aren't really specifically designed for that. if you start your car and at the same time try to start the hid, you are putting so much stress on the system, you can easily blow the fuse.

but in general i think the wiring setup on the lexus are done pretty good, and toyota always leave quite some room on their wiring, so i feel confident about it. so as long as you start the car first, and then turn on your headlights, i think you should be ok

just my take of course