Lighting A place to ask questions about HIDs & other Lexus lights

X5 Retro In Progress *56k warning*

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-05, 08:24 AM
BlkOnBlkGS
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some other pics. Again getting A4 bezels but still wanted to see how these others looked.

Old 01-27-05, 08:58 AM
GS3Tek
Forum Moderator

Received 168 Likes on 127 Posts

Awesome job blkonblk I'm surprised that the reflector housing has no effect when painted black instead
Thanks for sharing
Old 01-27-05, 09:38 AM
BlkOnBlkGS
Driver

Projectors have reflector bowls which make them so bright. If you noticed bmw's most have black housings utilizing just the projector for light. The reflector is actually not necessary except for cosmetic purposes. These had to be painted black because they were a halogen set and would have shot glare everywhere. You can leave it all chrome if you retro a projector in a OEM Hid housing like the A6 I have. It puts a little bit more light on the road if you allow light to bleed into the back of the housing somehow by the shroud. Would be wise to use a smaller projector for this like valeos. The nissan 350z uses a projector that bleeds in the reflector, but the projector sucks and has no color so it looks to me just like a regular reflector setup. Best example of color, flicker, output and spread from a reflector/projector combo is the current LS430.
Old 01-27-05, 01:38 PM
BlkOnBlkGS
Driver

Im going picture crazy Here are some close ups of the shroud and current bezels. The A4's will be here next week cant wait to mount them on and seal everything back up.

Old 01-27-05, 06:17 PM
LEXUS_KID
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I need a set of those how much are you charge-in like the work. Come on I think you have a new business on your hands here.
Old 01-27-05, 08:18 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

looking very good man. so how do you make sure the left and right they line up the same and shoot out light the same angle?

and how do you make sure the sealing is good and no leak later on?
Old 01-27-05, 10:20 PM
BlkOnBlkGS
Driver

Originally Posted by rominl
looking very good man. so how do you make sure the left and right they line up the same and shoot out light the same angle?

and how do you make sure the sealing is good and no leak later on?
Romin remember that the projector is mounted to your reflector so aiming and adjusting is still done the factory way. Your just need to be certain that you've mounted the projectors in the reflector properly.

Place the silicone on the back of the reflector where you dremeled the hole in order to jbweld the projector. The back factory sealant is still used to provide waterproofing and also where the bulb sticks out. This is a very snug fit so no sealant is needed here I'll take another pic showing this.

Some people place a couple of those packets you usually get when you buy a new pair of shoes behind the reflector on the bottom for extra moisture repellent some dont use anything! Others have used shop towels behind there, Ghetto but effective LOL Nither will burn up because housing really doesnt get that hot back there only the projector area and shroud which are on the other side of the housing. And remember you still have your factory vents one at the top another at the bottom which allow air in and out cooling the housing and that halogen bulbs burn hotter than D2S/D2R bulbs though D2 bulbs are 3x's brighter.

If you look at some of the pics where the reflector attaches to the housing there is grey adhesive. Once your finished you place the lights back in the oven at 400 for about 10 minutes until the adhesive becomes sticky. You cant leave it in there too long or both the housing and the glue could melt. At that time take them out and have some waterproof clear silicone on hand to mix in with the adhesive. You put the lenses back on let it dry partially and cut any excess silicone away with a butter knife. Let everything dry for a couple of hours or a day, two if need be and mount them on your car. You cannot forget that the GS has problems with lights fogging up as it is. Chances are it will go away with the extra silicone sealan, the silica packets(i think thats how you spell it) or remain the same as before. If your lights never did it chances are they wont.

Hope that helped..
Old 01-28-05, 01:03 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

man i am speechless, thanks for the information, that's very detailed and definitely helpful for me to understand what's going on!!!!

hey we really need to meet up and talk some time man hopefully these couple of weekends i am going to be in LA area
Old 01-29-05, 05:52 AM
sevenka
Driver School Candidate

-ADMINISTRATION.

Last edited by O. L. T.; 01-29-05 at 07:47 AM.
Old 01-30-05, 01:41 PM
ARISTO 161
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default nice

wutsup man!
could i go to a car dealer and ask for broken headlights they are going to throw away
and then take them apart for the projector only?
Old 02-09-05, 07:31 PM
tiguy99
Pole Position

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Hey guys. Just thought I'd chime in! Its been a while huh! Anyhow, congrats on another fine retro BlkonBlk and be careful with advertising. Thats how my A6 retro thread from October got canned. Too many folks started asking how much for a set etc. My pics are still up in the gallery though if anyone wants to see.
Nice work fellas!
Old 02-09-05, 07:33 PM
tiguy99
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ARISTO 161
wutsup man!
could i go to a car dealer and ask for broken headlights they are going to throw away
and then take them apart for the projector only?
Those projectors are from an Audi car. Chances are, those penny pinchers at the dealer just won't give their HID projectors away. You're looking at 750 to 1000 a set from the dealer, 100-250 Ebay easy.
Old 02-10-05, 01:09 AM
ARISTO 161
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default lexus

i said this cuz, from my experience,
lexus dealers always say they have to replace whole parts instead of getting parts of parts.
do you know what i mean?
thats why i would say they might throw away headlights with broken outer parts.
Old 02-10-05, 07:45 PM
tiguy99
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ARISTO 161
i said this cuz, from my experience,
lexus dealers always say they have to replace whole parts instead of getting parts of parts.
do you know what i mean?
thats why i would say they might throw away headlights with broken outer parts.
Oh yeah. You definately need a hookup for that. If you find one, let us know. Hopefully dealer mechanics won't come on here and discover we can make a killing on their trash
hahahah
Old 02-10-05, 10:38 PM
BlkOnBlkGS
Driver

Originally Posted by tiguy99
Hey guys. Just thought I'd chime in! Its been a while huh! Anyhow, congrats on another fine retro BlkonBlk and be careful with advertising. Thats how my A6 retro thread from October got canned. Too many folks started asking how much for a set etc. My pics are still up in the gallery though if anyone wants to see.
Nice work fellas!
Yeah I know. I havent responded to people asking because I know its policy. I just wanted to show the work is all hope the MOD's understand. =/

Quick Reply: X5 Retro In Progress *56k warning*