Lighting A place to ask questions about HIDs & other Lexus lights

Lexus HID question(oem)

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-05, 09:28 AM
Rockero28
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lexus HID question(oem)

How hard is it to convert the oem HID set up with bulbs on a non HID equipped GS? D2R bulbs is what they use right??? What will I need to make the bulbs fit in the place of the non hid 9006's I currently have?

Thanks,
Rock
Old 02-04-05, 09:55 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

for the amount of work you need, might as well just get hid kits or swap to oem hid headlights.

even with teh d2r in the non-hid housing the light pattern will be wrong anyway. there are sockets on ebay you can get to fit d2r on 9006, you can search for it if you want, but personally i don't really like that idea
Old 02-04-05, 10:09 AM
Rockero28
Lexus Champion

Question pattern, housing, reflectors??? HUH?

Not familiar with the HID pattern, housings, reflectors and all that.. Can u explain what that meansand why is it important??? I just want to have the Lexus quality HID and I have the kit . What about using the 9006 adapter rings with the D2R's?? I had a 9006 set and was very happy with it... though I never really paid attention to the pattern. I was satissfied that I had a HID as opposed to halogen yellow.... Yuuukkkkk.

Thanks,
Rock
Old 02-04-05, 10:29 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by Rockero28
Not familiar with the HID pattern, housings, reflectors and all that.. Can u explain what that meansand why is it important??? I just want to have the Lexus quality HID and I have the kit . What about using the 9006 adapter rings with the D2R's?? I had a 9006 set and was very happy with it... though I never really paid attention to the pattern. I was satissfied that I had a HID as opposed to halogen yellow.... Yuuukkkkk.

Thanks,
Rock
if you already have 9006 hid kits, then i can tell you with oem hid d2r fitting to 9006 will not look any better. you are just changing the bulbs that's all

the oem hid has a very clean cut off line (height wise), and the pattern is very nicely laid on the gnd and no glare. if you compare gs with hid and not, the back part of the housing is different, and that's what helps the reflection of hid headlights

the bulbs have a bit but not all to do with it.
Old 02-04-05, 10:39 AM
Rockero28
Lexus Champion

Default HAd the kit

Well, like I was saying.. I had the kit.. I no longer have the 9006 kit. I bought new headlights and came into a Lexus HID oem kit with d2r+ phillips bulbs... S this is why all the questions.... I want to add this.. I like the idea of having oem stuff on the car. Anyway, hopefully someone will have pix so I can see what this pattern looks like. I don't really need it to be way much better.... just good enough as the 9006 kits or the same will make me happy. And what about the color temp on the d2r+? This is what I have....How is it color wise?? Compared to say a 6000k 9006 aftermarket HID kit? Whitter or bluer?

Rock
Old 02-04-05, 11:23 AM
LEXUS_KID
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

PIAA makes those bulbs for us D2r 19992 now the bad part they cost $473.00 a set But you get the PIAA quality and warranty. I have a set on order they should be around mid March?
Old 02-04-05, 01:20 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Well, like I was saying.. I had the kit.. I no longer have the 9006 kit. I bought new headlights and came into a Lexus HID oem kit with d2r+ phillips bulbs... S this is why all the questions.... I want to add this.. I like the idea of having oem stuff on the car. Anyway, hopefully someone will have pix so I can see what this pattern looks like. I don't really need it to be way much better.... just good enough as the 9006 kits or the same will make me happy. And what about the color temp on the d2r+? This is what I have....How is it color wise?? Compared to say a 6000k 9006 aftermarket HID kit? Whitter or bluer?

Rock
if you are happy with the 9006 kit, then i think doing the d2r to 9006 base change will give you the same effect, so it should be good.

and the color of the stock hid is 4300k, so it's a bit yellow compared to the 6000k you had before
Old 02-04-05, 01:34 PM
Rockero28
Lexus Champion

Exclamation Hid

Ok, but I was t old that the D2R+ bulbs are bluer than the standard D2R . is this not true???

Rock
Old 02-04-05, 01:52 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Ok, but I was t old that the D2R+ bulbs are bluer than the standard D2R . is this not true???

Rock
umm ok, educate me here, what's special about d2r bulbs? but regardless, if anything the bulbs on stock gs hid headlights are just normal d2r i believe?
Old 02-04-05, 01:56 PM
Rockero28
Lexus Champion

Default bulbs

Well, I don't know.. That's why I am here, but I was told when I bought them.. that they are bluer than the D2R. Maybe they were just trying to get me to buy them, OR..........maybe someone else that has them or knows for sure can tell us.

Rock
Old 02-04-05, 01:58 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Well, I don't know.. That's why I am here, but I was told when I bought them.. that they are bluer than the D2R. Maybe they were just trying to get me to buy them, OR..........maybe someone else that has them or knows for sure can tell us.

Rock
yeah i would love to know too. is the glass on the bulb clear?
Old 02-04-05, 02:32 PM
corkycal
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what's up rock?

from reading your post. you have a 9006 based bulb and you want to put these on a factory hid housing?

it's better that you sell the 9006 based bulb and use regular d2r bulbs at 6000k for the blue/purple look.

if you have a 9006 kit and want to use the ballast and all the wiring on a factory hid setup, it may work if you convert the 9006 base back to d2r.

it may seem like a lot of work but it's doable.

from reading your old posts and your angel eyes mod, you can make it work.

most people will not go through the hassle and buy a factory hid setup with bulbs, ballast and wiring kit.
Old 02-04-05, 04:46 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I am moving to retrofit my non HID 01 headlights with the Lexus OEM HID kit with D2R+ bulbs..
Are you saying you have only the OEM ballasts and bulbs but no OEM HID housing? There is a location underneath the HID housing where the OEM ballast is attacched. The halogen housings do not have the same mounting screws on the bottom. I have not looked to see if there is a way to rig something up though.
Old 02-04-05, 04:56 PM
Rockero28
Lexus Champion

Default HID ballasts

Yes, I have the non HID headlights. 01 greens, but they have a small area underneath with holes where these ballasts line up. Unless they designed them that way, but still diferent than the HID equipped housings. They are the slims. Not the older bulky ones. Unless I am seeing things.... They appear to fit. They are pretty low profile these ballasts compared to the older 98-00. I think I just have to rebase the bulbs though...

Rock
Old 02-04-05, 05:18 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

i think it's the other way, he has the 9006 housing and wanna fit the factory hid bulb and ballast setup on it

hey rock, why not get the hid setup from corkycal, he has one nice set for sale -- a rare set for that matter!

Quick Reply: Lexus HID question(oem)