Notices
Lighting A place to ask questions about HIDs & other Lexus lights

My Problem With Philip HID Kit Continues...

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-05, 02:08 PM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Problem With Philip HID Kit Continues...

Well, I am not sure if some of you read my thread a few weeks ago concerning my Philips HID woes..

I bought the Philips 9006 4300k Kit and installed them in my foglights..

1) Since the installation, I would say 75% of the time when I turn them on, the driver side would not turn on.. I have to turn them off / on a few times then they both turn on..

2) I went to my mechanic for some expertise help, he checked all the wiring, the wiring seems fine and from what they said(2 mechanics), that one of the ballast is no good..

3) I tested that driver side HID bulb to a different power source and it is fine..

I emailed Xenondepot.com where I bought it from and they emailed me back giving me a "troubleshooting" guide.. But the troubleshooting guide justs reiterate what my mechanic did..

Now, if that one ballast is bad, then that light shouldn't turn on AT ALL right?

If you guys have any suggestion/tips I would greatly appreciate it..

btw, I did change the fuse to a 25amp from the stock 20amp..
Old 02-12-05, 03:38 PM
GammaLex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

When you swap the ballasts from driver to passenger side does the passenger side ballast on the driver side act up? Sorry for the wording? If the other ballast does it too then its the wires. Does the wiring harness have connections that goto the battery that are indepent to each ballast or are they shared? Also what gauge wires do you have going to the ballasts for power and ground? Since XenonDepot is a Retailewr of this site they should sent you a new ballast if thts the problem. If not make sure everybody knows not to buy anything from them

Last edited by GammaLex; 02-12-05 at 03:46 PM.
Old 02-12-05, 09:54 PM
Capirato
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by D-MAN63

Well, I am not sure if some of you read my thread a few weeks ago concerning my Philips HID woes..

I bought the Philips 9006 4300k Kit and installed them in my foglights..

1) Since the installation, I would say 75% of the time when I turn them on, the driver side would not turn on.. I have to turn them off / on a few times then they both turn on..

2) I went to my mechanic for some expertise help, he checked all the wiring, the wiring seems fine and from what they said(2 mechanics), that one of the ballast is no good..

3) I tested that driver side HID bulb to a different power source and it is fine..

I emailed Xenondepot.com where I bought it from and they emailed me back giving me a "troubleshooting" guide.. But the troubleshooting guide justs reiterate what my mechanic did..

Now, if that one ballast is bad, then that light shouldn't turn on AT ALL right?

If you guys have any suggestion/tips I would greatly appreciate it..

btw, I did change the fuse to a 25amp from the stock 20amp..
Terms & Conditions

Xenon/HID Products

Our XenonDepot & Xtreme HID lighting products are all covered by a one-year limited warranty against manufacturer defects, in which a manufacturer-defective part, in the kit and within the warranty period will be replaced at no additional charge. This Limited Warranty specifically excludes defects resulting from misuse, abuse, neglect, alteration, modification, improper installation, unauthorized repairs, submersion, theft, vehicle crash, or by any other type of impact. Removal, installation, or reinstallation costs are not covered by this Limited Warranty. All bulbs are tested and burned in by the manufacturer prior to delivery. Burst / exploded HID bulbs are not covered by warranty.

Above info from XenonDepot web site.

~ Cap
Old 02-13-05, 05:28 AM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

Hey thanks guys for the reply..

Gammalex, I do believe its a wiring problem.. If that one ballast is bad it shouldn't turn on at all.. I am going to uninstall everything and reinstall everthing with my mechanic.. I assume you have HID fogs as well, can you emphasize what guage wires u are using for power and ground? I think I screwed up somewhere when I was installing it that my mechanic didn't catch since its my first time installing HID's ever in life..

Last edited by D-MAN63; 02-13-05 at 05:42 AM.
Old 02-13-05, 07:38 AM
Capirato
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey thanks guys for the reply..

Gammalex, I do believe its a wiring problem.. If that one ballast is bad it shouldn't turn on at all.. I am going to uninstall everything and reinstall everthing with my mechanic.. I assume you have HID fogs as well, can you emphasize what guage wires u are using for power and ground? I think I screwed up somewhere when I was installing it that my mechanic didn't catch since its my first time installing HID's ever in life.
Hi D-Mann......

Isn't your kit Plug and Play, except where you connect the Hot Wire and the Ground Wire ??

If you added extra wire, you may have a bad connection.

~ Cap
Old 02-13-05, 01:55 PM
Alexusoftime
Lead Lap

yeah most of the time it is the wiring, mine is like that too, one side works but the other doesn't untill i turn them off and on then they both work...try upgrading ur grounds and maybe get a high voltage system ...to help it out witht the current
Old 02-14-05, 03:12 PM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

Default Problem Solved !

Hey thanks guys for the responses !

Well, I finally figured it out today.. I shorten the wires to the driver's side fogs and they both turn on now ! Seems to me the power wasn't reaching the bulb in time..

All you guys with HID in the fogs, where did you put your ballasts? I put them on that little ledge in the passenger side front (where aftermarket intake filters lie above).. I figured that is the best spot where water exposure is minimal..
Old 02-14-05, 04:07 PM
GammaLex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Well, I finally figured it out today.. I shorten the wires to the driver's side fogs and they both turn on now ! Seems to me the power wasn't reaching the bulb in time..

All you guys with HID in the fogs, where did you put your ballasts? I put them on that little ledge in the passenger side front (where aftermarket intake filters lie above).. I figured that is the best spot where water exposure is minimal..

Thats where I had to mount the ballasts for my highbeams. For My fogs there mounted inside the bumper.
Old 02-14-05, 05:18 PM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

glad you figured out the problem.

So the supplied wires to the driver-side ballast was too long? Don't make much sense at all....but if thats the fix....what made u decide to shorten it? Just wondering.

Pete
Old 02-14-05, 09:00 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

hey congrats man, glad you finally pinpointed the problem and fixed it. this is awesome

for me, i took off the bumper and mounted the two ballats right behind the front crush bar, one on each side. i used zip ties. awesome and perfect
Old 02-15-05, 05:38 AM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

Seems like all of you guys installed it around the same location..

Phml, I had to extend the wiring leading to the driver side light because of the location I had it in, it was too short originally to be in the location that I prefered. Then I was looking at it and now it was way too long... I shorten it a bit because one thing I noticed before I solved the problem was when 25% of the time when both HID's turned on, I noticed the driver side was a TAD slower to come on.. Now they turn on IMMEDIATELY !

Thanks all for the help !