Lighting A place to ask questions about HIDs & other Lexus lights

Just finish installing OEM HIDs

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-05 | 11:15 PM
tobal
Rookie

Default Just finish installing OEM HIDs

Just got my car a week ago an just started undertaking projects on this car already.... I just picked up a set of black housing oem HID headlamps. Just finished putting them in. Wow does the black housing make the car much more sportier.

The other thing i noticed was that the beam pattern on the passenger side doesn't seem to project right.... the light seems to be scattered for some reason. I also had to adjust the aim of the headlights lower too, those things shot up way too high when i got them first installed. Now i get more light on the road after the adjust ment. But the like i said earlier beam pattern seems weird. Any one have problems doing swapping out the Non-HID to a set of HID headlamps?

I'll get pics up once the weather gets better
Old 02-17-05 | 12:07 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

congrats on the setup post pics if you can

for the aim, left and right they are not the same coz' for the driver side they have to be more restrictive to make sure it doesnt' glare the other side of teh traffic. but could be the case that the autoleveling computer was at the wrong position and changing the leveling of the light. just manual adjustment would be fine
Old 02-24-05 | 06:38 PM
r0llm0del
Driver

how were you able to swap your non HID headlights with a pair of OEM HID headlights? Did you change out the wiring harness? I have a 99 gs300 myself without OEM HID. I bought a pair of OEM HID headlights online and thought it was plug and play. I didnt do my research prior to buying it and now im not able to put the headlights in without changing the wiring harness. The wiring harness retails at lexus for 3 grand. ive checked junkyards trying to find one. my question is how were you able to convert to OEM HID headlights?
Old 02-24-05 | 07:31 PM
Neo
The One

Originally Posted by r0llm0del
The wiring harness retails at lexus for 3 grand. ive checked junkyards trying to find one. my question is how were you able to convert to OEM HID headlights?
No need to spend that much if you are willing to cut a few wires. I'm sure tobal or rominl can give you the details.
Old 02-24-05 | 07:55 PM
tobal
Rookie

the process is actually pretty simple, the hard part is just adjusting the aim of headlight the the proper spec thats all...
What i did was just took out the orignal headlamp, and then you can either pluck out the connectors inside the harness of the HID power socket and just plug it directly into the headlamp socket. Eventually i didn't have the pick to pick it out, so i just cut off the harness and just connected the 2 wire up to the headlight wires. Very simple. just match positive w/ positive and negative with negative wire.

Because i didn't hook up the autoleveling unit, it might come aimed really high or low or even just right. So you have to spend some time adjusting the light up and down to get the light on the road.
Old 02-24-05 | 09:39 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

Originally Posted by r0llm0del
how were you able to swap your non HID headlights with a pair of OEM HID headlights? Did you change out the wiring harness? I have a 99 gs300 myself without OEM HID. I bought a pair of OEM HID headlights online and thought it was plug and play. I didnt do my research prior to buying it and now im not able to put the headlights in without changing the wiring harness. The wiring harness retails at lexus for 3 grand. ive checked junkyards trying to find one. my question is how were you able to convert to OEM HID headlights?
if you want you can just splice the wires (get the polarity right), and you aer good to go

my installer didn't cut anything though, not 100% know why, but he did it
Old 02-25-05 | 12:21 AM
tobal
Rookie

Hey Henry, i know why your installer didnt' cut anything...I looked at the socket that came out of the HID ballast, he probably just used one of those dental looking tools and plucked out the connectors inside it and just plugged and play with the 9006 headlight adaptor.

I was gonna do that but didn't have that particular tool to pluck it out with. So did the ghetto way and spliced it.
Old 02-25-05 | 12:50 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

Originally Posted by tobal
Hey Henry, i know why your installer didnt' cut anything...I looked at the socket that came out of the HID ballast, he probably just used one of those dental looking tools and plucked out the connectors inside it and just plugged and play with the 9006 headlight adaptor.

I was gonna do that but didn't have that particular tool to pluck it out with. So did the ghetto way and spliced it.
ah gotcha. could be. my installer said they bend some pins and got them to fit, couldn't fully understnd what they were talking about though. tried to look at the setup and couldn't figure out all the details
Old 02-25-05 | 05:56 PM
r0llm0del
Driver

thanks you guys for all that information. the only problem is im afraid of doing it myself because im afraid of messing it up. i live in houston, tx. if you guys know of anyone here that knows how to "***** rig" the HID headlights for me that would be awesome.
Old 02-25-05 | 11:00 PM
BlkOnBlkGS
Driver

I know a guys who makes awesome wiring harnesses so that you dont have to cut anything and ensures your bulb out warning wont come on. Email him doh-doh7@excite.com.

Last edited by BlkOnBlkGS; 03-06-05 at 02:19 PM.
Old 02-26-05 | 09:55 AM
lexusondubs
dubsonlexus

Originally Posted by BlkOnBlkGS
I know a guys who makes awesome wiring harnesses so that you dont have to cut anything and ensures your bulb out warning wont come on. Email him doh-doh@excite.com.
why dont he post some for sale here on cl i know id buy 1
Old 02-27-05 | 08:11 PM
r0llm0del
Driver

i sent that guy an email (doh-doh@excite.com) and it failed to deliver it. could you check that address again? thanks
Old 03-06-05 | 02:19 PM
BlkOnBlkGS
Driver

forgot the 7 sorry.