Lighting A place to ask questions about HIDs & other Lexus lights

Fried Headlight socket!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-05, 08:36 AM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Fried Headlight socket!!

Help guys!!! Some moron that had my SC prior to me had an incorrect bulb in one headlight. While replacing my old bulbs with new correct 55w units, I discovered that one of the old bulbs was an 80w unit!!! Needless to say, the socket in which the bulb plugs into is toast! Melted, fried, you name it! Now my dilemma. Is this socket, plug, whatever you want to call it, easily replacable? Does the entire set of wires need to be replaced? The old bulb was working before I removed it. Currently, I'm concerned about putting anything there until this is fixed. I'm a DIY guy, so I don't mind the work or a challenge. Also, I'm not about to part with the potential $800 to have the dealer fix. Any suggestions, or ideas?
Old 04-14-05, 01:41 PM
bizzy928
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mkorsu
Help guys!!! Some moron that had my SC prior to me had an incorrect bulb in one headlight. While replacing my old bulbs with new correct 55w units, I discovered that one of the old bulbs was an 80w unit!!! Needless to say, the socket in which the bulb plugs into is toast! Melted, fried, you name it! Now my dilemma. Is this socket, plug, whatever you want to call it, easily replacable? Does the entire set of wires need to be replaced? The old bulb was working before I removed it. Currently, I'm concerned about putting anything there until this is fixed. I'm a DIY guy, so I don't mind the work or a challenge. Also, I'm not about to part with the potential $800 to have the dealer fix. Any suggestions, or ideas?
I am pretty sure all you need is a new wiring harness for your headlights. Check your local automotive store for an aftermarket solution. Or Ebay if you really want:

9006 Wiring Harness
Old 04-14-05, 01:47 PM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Thanks!!! I was just coming to this thread to bump it too!!!

Any idea how the new harness would wire into the existing system?

I am a complete neophyte when it comes to electrical systems, so any help is appreciated.
Old 04-14-05, 02:25 PM
bizzy928
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mkorsu
Thanks!!! I was just coming to this thread to bump it too!!!

Any idea how the new harness would wire into the existing system?

I am a complete neophyte when it comes to electrical systems, so any help is appreciated.
I've never done it myself, but judging from the picture in the auction I think you replace the whole OEM harness. So you will probably need to disconnect the old harness (follow the wires to see where they start), then make sure your new harness is long enough (buy a long pair if you can, or splice if you have to) then install it.

Hopefully someone who has done this before can chime in.
Old 04-14-05, 03:09 PM
mikal
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

chop off the burnt out plug, solder the new plug if it comes with wires like the nokya plugs.
Shrink Wrap it, then wrap it over with some black tape.

Or if you get the connectors with pins seperate, just chop off plug as close to the burn out plug as possible. Then crimp on the new pins and insert it to the new plugs. Be sure you remember which side is for the positive and which side is for the negative.. (I accidently blew a fuse because my dumb *** accidently Reversed it when i was converting to oem hid )

BTW, I would have suggested to de-pin it and plug it into a new socket but since it was fried, the contacts ont he pin should be toast.

Last edited by mikal; 04-14-05 at 03:13 PM.
Old 04-16-05, 11:58 AM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Thanks Mikal and Bizzy!!!! I'll be trying to fix this over the weekend. I'll let you know how it turns out.