Talking try here first

http://www.dictionary.com/

Yeah,I know. I'm a funny guy.
Old 06-12-01, 10:21 PM
lobo
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clearing lights

Whats up fellas my cousin and I figured out how to do it I helped him finish one of his lights today, you have to unscrew the three screws that hold the headlight assembly in place make sure your lights are dissconnected, pop off the copper clips with a screwdriver, unscrew the silver screw by the blinker on the back, you will need a heat gun (blow dryer will not work) this process takes hours and you will probably mess up your headlight the first time, so be prepared to buy a new headlight, we had good luck because we took our time, use the heat gun to slowly and carefully melt the black glue where the black plastic seam is, use a flathead screwdriver and putty knife to pry it open when glue softens keep in mind not to melt the plastic around the seam (keep heat gun away from clear plastic glass) continue this process until you have opened the side where the amber strip is located, use needle nose pliers which is both clear and amber which covers the whole blinker area, pull it out slowly keep in mind that some black glue may still need softening the glue hardens when it becomes cold, after you have removed the insert , heat the glue again and press the to pieces back together it may take molding and smoothing out nothing a little muscle couldn't do, dont' worry about bends or scratches on the black plastic no one will see it when the headlight is in place. The glue solidify again when it cools retaining an airtight seal, good luck take your time, and do not seperate the two pieces completely only enough to reeach the amber strip, remember start looking fof used headlights on the internet because you will need one if you mess up. It is a two man job someone needs to pry it open while someone else heats the glue, If you guys don't think you can do this or if you just don't want to, let us know we will see what we can do for you I run a shop with my father we have alot of experience working on cars.
-lobo-
Old 06-13-01, 07:37 AM
chrislee8
Driver

Default any way that you can ...

post a pic of clear light and/or the process?

Thanks a lot
Old 06-13-01, 10:52 AM
L_Sport
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default clearing the lights

i just posted pics, check them out.
Old 06-13-01, 06:08 PM
L_Sport
Lead Lap

Heres more pics, so fresh and so clean, clean! Tell me what you think.
Attached Thumbnails clearing the lights-clear-corners.jpg  
Old 06-13-01, 09:44 PM
pauly
Driver School Candidate

Default clear corners

They look great! Wish me luck, i'll most likely be trying that method this weekend to remove mine... If you have any more advice/tips on not breaking the assembly please let me know because I can't really afford to go out and buy new ones right now .

-pauly
paul@playuh.com
Old 06-14-01, 01:39 PM
ramsee1
Pole Position

Thumbs up wow

usually I don't go for that kind of thing (and I am not in this case because I'm not putting a heat gun to any part of my baby) but the lights look great!
Old 06-14-01, 02:53 PM
L_Sport
Lead Lap

That’s probably a smart choice, although it’s not that hard, getting over the fear is the hardest part. Then after I started I knew there was no turning back. They turned out awesome for me and I’m so happy my cousin and I did them. Yet it's better to be safe then have to buy a new head light. It's not that hard if you take your time, and it seals back air and water tight, the back of my lights are a little scratched up and blemished from the work, but from the outside they are flawless. It was so worth the time I spent, and now I know I can do anyone’s ES head lights! But I don’t think I will be doing my friends headlights in town even if they pay me, it’s kinda cool being the only one out here with cleared out headlight. They ask, “Hey where did you buy those?” Oh these? Straight from Japan.
Old 06-14-01, 03:04 PM
L_Sport
Lead Lap

Default Good Luck pauly!

The hardest part is pulling apart the assembly enough to get to the insert, remember don't completely open the light or you won’t be able to get everything back together! Use a putty knife and a screwdriver to get in the seem and don't be afraid if you tear the corner on the side where the blinker is, everything will mold back together, and when you finally get the light together begin popping the copper clips back on this will help you as you go. Once every thing is back and sealed, the seem will look all bent out of shape and marks were you pried it open and the plastic stretched. Use the heat gun and the putty knife to mold everything back together slowly, it’s like you working with clay molding a masterpiece. And opening the light is tuff, you will scar it up a little shoving the screwdriver in the crack and pulling the lip over the seem to get into the assembly, but once you make enough room to get you little fingers in it, have someone heat the side as you pull it apart, this is wear strength training comes into play. Hold the light and heat one seem, then the other slowly until the glue starts to ooze and pull apart, remember keep the heat away from the clear plastic as much as you can but if you mess up the clear it will probably be underneath and out of sight though. Good luck and post you picks of your attempt as soon as you do it.