Lighting A place to ask questions about HIDs & other Lexus lights

HID headlights/foglights

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-05, 01:46 PM
GISHKA
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HID headlights/foglights

I'm about to buy an HID conversion kit for my 2001 GS 300. Do I have to install a Kasper shield as well to have a better looking light beam or if just get the 9006 bulb than I don't have anything to worry about?

Also, I want to change my fog lights to yellow, can i buy just a bulb, or do i need to change the entire housing?

Thanks.
Old 05-18-05, 03:17 PM
vicestan
Lead Lap

First of all do NOT buy a hid kit, the problem with hid kits is, there basically poorly manufactured. Sticking hid lighting in your halogen gs headlights will first of produce a ton of glare and 2nd of all you wont get a good output ( meaning the ammount of light on the road ). With a hid "kit" if you get it and then later on decide to switch to real HID headlights you wont be able to use your hid kit because for one the bulbs are not oem and will most likely give of a bad color and 2nd of all theres a good chance the bulbs wont match each other, and then as far as the ballast goes its output wires are designed for your rebased none oem bulbs so what that means is if you want to say use a real gs HID headlight you need d2r bulbs, so ok you buy those but then how do you power them up? your "kit" ballast wont connect to the bulb b/c once again the connections are designed for aftermarket bulbs. Oh and the poor quality of hid kits means the ballast will most likely anywhere from a few month use but thats not that common to a year+ of use and after a year your 1 year warrenty is gone and your stuck. As far as your foglights go you can always get yellow bulbs but there output wont be as good, you can get Hid lights for your foglights and it will come out great but thats if you have the money and if you look the look, heres a picture of my headlights, well look at the fog/headlight combo thats authentic lexus Hid headlights with 4100k hid bulbs for the foglights to match the headlights, ofcourse you can always put something like 6000K bulbs in your foglights which will prolly give you a better look.

Old 05-18-05, 05:21 PM
EmeraldLexuSC3
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by GISHKA
I'm about to buy an HID conversion kit for my 2001 GS 300. Do I have to install a Kasper shield as well to have a better looking light beam or if just get the 9006 bulb than I don't have anything to worry about?

Also, I want to change my fog lights to yellow, can i buy just a bulb, or do i need to change the entire housing?

Thanks.
Before you consider an after market HID kit, linked area couple of articles for your knowledge.
http://www.intellexual.net/hid.html#hid
http://faqlight.carpassion.info/hl-hid-kits.htm
as for the fog you can change the bulb, Philips 'All weather" bulb emits yellow.
Old 05-18-05, 05:49 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 189 Likes on 147 Posts

if you can get real oem hid or hid retrofit of course it's better. but if you want the cheaper route you can always do hid kits. not as good of a cut off and more glare, but it's relatively ok if you aim it lower

no need to get the shield, it's not going to help anything

for the fogs, the yellow on the gs is from a yellow lens inside, not the bulb. you can get new yellow housing if you want. or you can get yellow bulbs, though usually they turn out not as yellow as that of the yellow lens
Old 05-20-05, 01:02 PM
GISHKA
Driver School Candidate

Thanks.

Do you think its better to just leave the original factory setup or just take a chance, install the HID conversion kit, dip them low and see what happens?
Old 05-20-05, 01:23 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 189 Likes on 147 Posts

well there are some other members here with hid kits on their car, you can ask them. for example you can talk to neo about it