Lighting A place to ask questions about HIDs & other Lexus lights

LED lighting - made a few bad choices

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-05, 07:52 PM
BA_GS400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default LED lighting - made a few bad choices

Ok, I thought I had read a lot of threads here, done my research and all that, but apparently I must've missed something!

In the past, I've bought some small 194/wedge LED's from www.superbrightleds.com before and was happy with them. I wanted to upgrade my tail lights and backup lights.
I read the threads and decided to see if "I'd" be happy with LED's for the BACK-UP and maybe TAIL-lights. (I had read of one or two who were not happy, but without much description, and I knew of some 15LED bulbs with 6 pointing sideways. Seemed like a good thing)

After putting everything in to one tail light assembly, I have to say that I'M NOT HAPPY.

I had read that changing the Backup lights was great for at least one person. I don't recall the bulb they used. I had a 15 LED bulb. 9 that point in one direction, and 6 around the perimeter pointing out. Seemed like a great bulb.

Well, our 'socket' in the tail light housing doesn't allow the backup light to point straight BACK. It actually points to the side. This is obviously horrible for LED lights. I should've seen that coming. It was pure white and looked great 'color-wise', but it was no where near bright enough.

The TAIL/BRAKE light was a similar story. The color produced by the RED LED's was pure red. It made the other tail lights look like they had an orange-y hue. It would stick out unless you did all lights.
I didn't put it in the trunk lid, I tried it in the lower part of the tail light assembly. Sadly, Lexus engineers gave the socket a mount that has the bulb pointing UP. Same style 15 LED bulb (9 and 6 pointing sideways), and simlar results. Just not enough light when the BRAKE was on.

Guess that I'm going to need regular bulbs if I want to do an upgrade.

Does anyone have any advice on where to get a good WHITE backup bulb and RED tail light bulbs?

Thanks!
Old 05-22-05, 09:55 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 189 Likes on 147 Posts

man sorry to hear that. i never had, and not really plan, to have led for those backup lights and wedge on the exterior. for my backup light, i ahve the polarg and i can't be happier