Lighting A place to ask questions about HIDs & other Lexus lights

Gs400 HID flicker

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-05, 04:12 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by nanotech
Well i am glad i am getting advice from all but how sure are you that all of us are having ballast problems, we have all been looking at the same symptoms, the first guy had a bulb issue, and was describing the same problem, the second guy did some research and is pretty sure it is a bulb problem, now i am left and i don't know if i need to buy bulbs or ballasts, how much is a ballast brand new?
thanks
why not just switch the bulb from the good side and see if it still goes out like he said?
Old 09-28-05, 07:27 PM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

and always remember...

if you're going to get new bulbs...

replace both at the same time.

HID bulbs need burn-in time and after thousands of hours, will start losing their original output, so replacing just ONE will give you a brighter lights on one side of the vehicle.
Old 09-29-05, 01:14 PM
vicestan
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well for one I sell HID equipment on the side to make extra money while I'm in school and second Hid bulbs dieing in cars are rare very rare, Ive only see a few dieing bulbs and thats in the older acura's, the osrams turn pink, literally like bunny pink. Anyway just switch the bulbs, its that easy open the covers, remove the d2s plug and remove the bulb. No need for headache if the other bulb does the same thing you know its the ballast if it works fine then you know its the bulb.
Old 09-30-05, 08:12 AM
nanotech
Lexus Test Driver

Hey guys,
is there anykind of bulbs i can get that make them look like the new bmw/lexus bulbs, like have that little hint of purple flash at a certain angle/view.
if so i would rather go ahead and buy new bulbs just because it has been so long and get those bulbs, and i will check them out either today or tommarrow on the switching of the bulbs and see if it has the same problem, and can someone give me detailed instructions on how to remove HID bulbs and switch them with the other side.
thanks, all the help is much appreciated.
Old 09-30-05, 09:02 AM
vicestan
Lead Lap

Well the reason you see that flicker is not because of the bulbs but because of the projecotors. Its called light bending and at a certain angle when light is bend towards the lens it creates different colors of the rainbow, in this case purple/blue. And its easy to remove the bulbs, open the hood get a flash light. Now behind the headlight you will see a white cap twist it counter-clockwise and pull it out. Now you will see a metal cap, pull that of and you will see a black plug on the light bulb, twist it counter-clockwise also and remove it. Now you see the bulb, unclick the 2 pins on top the bulb and pull the metal retainer back and remove the bulb.
Old 09-30-05, 12:46 PM
nanotech
Lexus Test Driver

Ok i got the part for the uninstalling the bulb and now what i was originally asking on the bulbs is that if there are bulbs available out there where it can make it look like the new BMWs and LEXUSs, have a little purplish hint on the bulb or something, you know what i am talking about right?
the last time i asked it I phrased it like my bulbs were messing up, but what i am asking if i am going to get new bulbs, for instance, are there any out there that look like the bmw's
thanks
Old 09-30-05, 02:27 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by nanotech
Ok i got the part for the uninstalling the bulb and now what i was originally asking on the bulbs is that if there are bulbs available out there where it can make it look like the new BMWs and LEXUSs, have a little purplish hint on the bulb or something, you know what i am talking about right?
the last time i asked it I phrased it like my bulbs were messing up, but what i am asking if i am going to get new bulbs, for instance, are there any out there that look like the bmw's
thanks
just get 6000k bulbs instead of 4100k. the higher that number, the more blue/purple the light.
Old 09-30-05, 02:57 PM
nanotech
Lexus Test Driver

Which ones would you guys prefer for me to get if I was getting the bulbs, does the blue/purple look better than the original ones or not, i would actually want it to be almost exactly like the new maximas as well as like the caddys and beamers. so unless if it looks almost exactly like them i would rather go with the original ones. Any advice
thanks
Old 09-30-05, 03:41 PM
vicestan
Lead Lap

Don't you people ever read ( read up )
Old 09-30-05, 08:47 PM
nanotech
Lexus Test Driver

IF you can't say anything helpful, then pls just keep your comments to yourself, i am sorry if i am asking too many questions, i know pros are on this website, so i know i can get pro help, i don't want any bs comments like that so please not on this thread.
thanks for those who are helping
Old 10-01-05, 07:42 AM
vicestan
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by vicestan
Well the reason you see that flicker is not because of the bulbs but because of the projectors. Its called light bending and at a certain angle when light is bend towards the lens it create different colors of the rainbow, in this case purple/blue. And its easy to remove the bulbs, open the hood get a flash light. Now behind the headlight you will see a white cap twist it counter-clockwise and pull it out. Now you will see a metal cap, pull that of and you will see a black plug on the light bulb, twist it counter-clockwise also and remove it. Now you see the bulb, unclick the 2 pins on top the bulb and pull the metal retainer back and remove the bulb.
How is this bad advice? I'm explaining to you the technical workings of your (maxima blue light)comment and its not usefull? and everyone else whos telling you to go get 6000k bulbs is much more usefull then say the information on how HID lights actually work?. If you dont want usefull information then don't ask for it, its not like I get paid to share my technical experiance.
Old 10-01-05, 02:13 PM
nanotech
Lexus Test Driver

I don't mean to be a a** or anything, i thought you were being sarcastic and saying things to make me feel stupid, as i said before i appreciate all the advice by any and all club lexus members, i know i can get pro help.
thanks