Lighting A place to ask questions about HIDs & other Lexus lights

? on headlight retrofit

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-05, 08:18 PM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ? on headlight retrofit

I have been thinking about this for a while. I have been looking for projectors and really like the LS430 light output and also the BMW E46 projectors. I am wondering if it would be more feasible to purchase off ebay some GS headlights that are HID with ballast and bulbs. I have seen then for in the neighborhood of $850 or so. Or would it be cheaper to purchase some used halogen headlights and send them to someone to have the retrofit done, there are a few CL members that do it. I think the retrofits look really sick but not sure if that is going to be more $.
Old 05-31-05, 10:58 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

if i were you, i would just get halogen headlights and get the whole retro system. get a ballast and inverter setup that's with the ls430 or e46 projectors. the overall cost would be about the same and it's a perfec tmatch
Old 06-02-05, 07:33 PM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

I just missed out on getting some nice halogen GS headlights for $56 each. But I know someone who is selling his BMW X5 projectors. Would I need to get the ballast from him or can I use the ones from my HID kit that I installed on my GS? I have the philips ballast. Also what does the inverter setup do? I am a noob at retrofits so obviously I wont be doing this myself?

I would really like to get the LS430 HIDs as their beam pattern is so bright and so wide. Would I get the same affect using GS headlights or would the beam be not as wide?
Old 06-03-05, 12:06 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

i would leave this question to the people who have done real retrofits. i am sure they can give you the 100% answer
Old 06-03-05, 03:16 PM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rominl
i would leave this question to the people who have done real retrofits. i am sure they can give you the 100% answer
Why havent you done a retrofit henry? Satisfied with the stock output? I may just buy some stock HID headlights and go that route. I dont really need a retrofit as I am not planning on showing this car too often. If I went the stock HID route what should I look to get with the headlights? Will my ballasts that I have now work ok? I know I wouldnt be able to do the leveling option
Old 06-03-05, 03:57 PM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1

anyone know if this would be a good price for these projectors? The seller said they are in perfect working condition. What else besides bulbs and ballasts would I need to do a retrofit?
Old 06-03-05, 09:56 PM
noop
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you would need projectors and shrouds is what im guessing, why dont you PM Tiguy99 he does retros, he is going to be doing my retro next week, i am going with s2000 projectors, but as far as using your hid kit, 1 have 1 too , he told me i needed to get some d2s bulbs. i bought ballasts and bulbs, and i think im just gonna hook up the kit on my fogs.
Old 06-03-05, 09:59 PM
noop
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1 more thing you should check out, go to hidplanet.com and go to their classified forums and see what kind of projectors they are selling, you could find some good ones at good prices, someone was complaining about that ebay seller on hidplanet.
Old 06-03-05, 10:05 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by GS300Rich
Why havent you done a retrofit henry? Satisfied with the stock output? I may just buy some stock HID headlights and go that route. I dont really need a retrofit as I am not planning on showing this car too often. If I went the stock HID route what should I look to get with the headlights? Will my ballasts that I have now work ok? I know I wouldnt be able to do the leveling option
well if i do retro i will need to get another set of headlights. also, i would want the best only (you know me) so that's gonig to be ls430 or sc430 projectors. expensive stuff. and personally i always try to avoid too much cutting and gluing on stock parts. that's why i don't have turn signal mirrors as well. there is just a fine line on how i mod my car. i can't define it, but i just judge things one by one.

i am getting close to stop modding my gs4 as well i think
Old 06-04-05, 04:49 AM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rominl
well if i do retro i will need to get another set of headlights. also, i would want the best only (you know me) so that's gonig to be ls430 or sc430 projectors. expensive stuff. and personally i always try to avoid too much cutting and gluing on stock parts. that's why i don't have turn signal mirrors as well. there is just a fine line on how i mod my car. i can't define it, but i just judge things one by one.

i am getting close to stop modding my gs4 as well i think
You are going to stop modding the GS4? Well at least you have the SC I was thinking about the LS430 projectors from the beginning. The beam is just crazy wide and I dont think I have seen anything that looks better. I may just have to spend the extra $ to get this.
Old 06-04-05, 04:51 AM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by NooP
1 more thing you should check out, go to hidplanet.com and go to their classified forums and see what kind of projectors they are selling, you could find some good ones at good prices, someone was complaining about that ebay seller on hidplanet.
Thanks for the heads up. I was curious as to why his prices are so cheap. I email him with 10 long detailed questions and he gave me about 3 short answers I guess thats what you deal with sometime on Ebay Could you pm me with a price that you are paying for all of this, and what it cost to get done. I sent a pm out to TiGUy late last night. I a very interested in this mod but want to go with some different projectors than what most are using
Old 06-04-05, 09:11 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

You are going to stop modding the GS4? Well at least you have the SC I was thinking about the LS430 projectors from the beginning. The beam is just crazy wide and I dont think I have seen anything that looks better. I may just have to spend the extra $ to get this.
well you know me man, either don't do it or do it once, do it right. so i will just up and do it right the first time, if i do it ever. so there you go. yeah, modding car takes a lot of money, and now we are focusing on wife's sc430, that's a whole new ballpark man.
Old 06-04-05, 10:33 AM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

Will valeo projectors work on the GS headlights? I have heard good things about them on hidplanet.com from quite a few people who have used them in their retrofits.
Old 06-04-05, 11:24 AM
tiguy99
Pole Position

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Will valeo projectors work on the GS headlights? I have heard good things about them on hidplanet.com from quite a few people who have used them in their retrofits.
56.00 each is a good price for GS300/400 halogen lights. That's around how much I can get them locally from my supplier. As for Valeos in the GS headlamps, I've done that before as well. In fact they fit perfectly as well. Here's a link to some work done before in the past

http://hidplanet.com/forums/viewtopi...211&highlight=
Old 06-04-05, 01:59 PM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tiguy99
56.00 each is a good price for GS300/400 halogen lights. That's around how much I can get them locally from my supplier. As for Valeos in the GS headlamps, I've done that before as well. In fact they fit perfectly as well. Here's a link to some work done before in the past

http://hidplanet.com/forums/viewtopi...211&highlight=
Which kit would you recommend that I go for? I like the wide beam of the LS430 but want a crisp cutoff line of the S2k. I like the way the valeo projectors fit in and they look perfect in the GS headlights but what do you think of their output? I just need a little nudge in the right direction Also I have a plug and play kit with philips ballasts would I be able to use them? Thanks for the help

Rich

Quick Reply: ? on headlight retrofit