Lighting A place to ask questions about HIDs & other Lexus lights

OEM Ballast

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-05, 11:40 AM
maaloxx
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OEM Ballast

I'm trying to wire my oem ballast but i'm not understanding something. When I connect my 12v power source and apply the test light to the wire that I think should be the ground...it's putting out 12v. Any one have and info on wiring Oem ballasts to a non hid GS?

G
Old 06-20-05, 12:08 PM
joshoowa
Lexus Champion

ur putting too much current into ballast... you will ruin it eventually.. u need a relay to step down the current

basically u need a whole wiring harness..

edit:
what u need is a relay 12v dc 30amp .. 30amp is the norm but i believe u can run 25amp

u can also throw in a 15amp fuses on the line just to becareful

Last edited by joshoowa; 06-20-05 at 12:20 PM.
Old 06-20-05, 05:22 PM
maaloxx
Pole Position

Originally Posted by joshoowa
ur putting too much current into ballast... you will ruin it eventually.. u need a relay to step down the current

basically u need a whole wiring harness..

edit:
what u need is a relay 12v dc 30amp .. 30amp is the norm but i believe u can run 25amp

u can also throw in a 15amp fuses on the line just to becareful
How do I make a harness?

But my other question is why would 12v come out of the black wire when power is connected to the red?
Old 06-20-05, 08:12 PM
joshoowa
Lexus Champion

please take a pix of what you are describing this will help a lot...
Old 06-20-05, 08:19 PM
maaloxx
Pole Position

please take a pix of what you are describing this will help a lot...
These are the ballasts that I have!
The square shows the red and black wires.
Attached Thumbnails OEM Ballast-ballasts.jpg  
Old 06-20-05, 08:24 PM
joshoowa
Lexus Champion

ahhh very nice... ok no matter how u tested those leads black will be (-) red will be (+) thats universal law... on top of that i dont know how u tested it, that wire u tested is an input wire only
Old 06-20-05, 08:30 PM
maaloxx
Pole Position

ahhh very nice... ok no matter how u tested those leads black will be (-) red will be (+) thats universal law... on top of that i dont know how u tested it, that wire u tested is an input wire only
Bro, i'm with you on that! When I put the 12v power one the red wire...and connected the blac wire it shorted my fuse for the fogs..!

When I put the test light on the Black wire with the red wire still connected...I got power! Are these ballasts shot?

G
Old 06-20-05, 08:36 PM
joshoowa
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by maaloxx
Bro, i'm with you on that! When I put the 12v power one the red wire...and connected the blac wire it shorted my fuse for the fogs..!

When I put the test light on the Black wire with the red wire still connected...I got power! Are these ballasts shot?

G
im still confused but i doubt ur ballast are blown... oem ballast are the toughest ballast to buy especially lexus (kioto) ballast!

well as u know the fuse should be placed on the red lead so im still confused on how u blew ur fog fuse? are u using ur fog as the power supply?

also as u stated the test light still light up.. as it shuld u have a closed connection.. im assuming the test light was grounded

and dude 12v is still tooo high for the ballast!!!!
Old 06-20-05, 08:42 PM
maaloxx
Pole Position

im still confused but i doubt ur ballast are blown... oem ballast are the toughest ballast to buy especially lexus (kioto) ballast!

well as u know the fuse should be placed on the red lead so im still confused on how u blew ur fog fuse? are u using ur fog as the power supply?

also as u stated the test light still light up.. as it shuld u have a closed connection.. im assuming the test light was grounded

and dude 12v is still tooo high for the ballast!!!!
It shouldn't light up on the ground wire (black wire) though, should it?

And here I am expecting to just cut off my 9006 connector and wire it to my ballasts..and go.
Old 06-20-05, 09:17 PM
joshoowa
Lexus Champion

It shouldn't light up on the ground wire (black wire) though, should it?

And here I am expecting to just cut off my 9006 connector and wire it to my ballasts..and go.
no u really need a wiring harness go check out that link i sent u....if u dont use one your going to eventually loose your ballast
Old 06-21-05, 02:28 PM
corkycal
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

G

are you using these ballast for hid in your fogs? if you are you should up the fuse amp to 20.

if your using these for a 9006 conversion it should be simple. you know you're cutting and splicing both the ballast and factory wires. make sure red goes with red and black with black.
you can also get a plug from suvlights.com to convert your ballast wires to a 9006 plug. this makes it a cleaner look and better contact. best of all you don't need to cut the factory 9006 plug.
you don't need to up the fuse also since the factory headlight fuses should be good enough.
Old 06-21-05, 03:21 PM
tiguy99
Pole Position

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I can make you one for cheap. PM me
Old 06-22-05, 06:30 AM
AUGuy21
Pole Position

Default Re:

Now I am confused. I installed OEM HID's in my non-HID GS 300 a few months ago and just cut off my 9006 connector, put on some female connectors and slid them onto the ballast connector. They work fine. The old halogens ran 12V and the ballast says 12V on it. I haven't even needed to up the fuses. So I should be fine, right? And not lose my ballast later on?
Old 06-22-05, 07:42 AM
maaloxx
Pole Position

Originally Posted by corkycal
are you using these ballast for hid in your fogs? if you are you should up the fuse amp to 20.

if your using these for a 9006 conversion it should be simple. you know you're cutting and splicing both the ballast and factory wires. make sure red goes with red and black with black.
you can also get a plug from suvlights.com to convert your ballast wires to a 9006 plug. this makes it a cleaner look and better contact. best of all you don't need to cut the factory 9006 plug.
you don't need to up the fuse also since the factory headlight fuses should be good enough.
I thought the same thing, but when I wired it up...it blew one of my fuses. remember, when I use the test light while I have my 12v power wired to the red, I get 12v out ov the black wire...HELP!
Old 06-22-05, 07:45 AM
AUGuy21
Pole Position

Default Re:

What "test light" are you hooking the ballasts to? I suppose you are hooking them up to an HID bulb?