Lighting A place to ask questions about HIDs & other Lexus lights

LED turn sigs not bright enough during the day

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-05, 04:37 PM
thirdmotio
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LED turn sigs not bright enough during the day

I just installed white 24 LED bulbs for my front turn signals and it looks awesome when sun's down but can't even tell if the lights are on during the day.
I bought my bulbs from http://www.superbrightleds.com/1157.htm
I think i need brighter bulbs for it to work during the day. There's 30 bulb led on that site, maybe i should try those? Or, are there any other led bulbs out there that works during the day?
Please advise.
Old 06-20-05, 08:21 PM
EXE.UCF10
VIP|EXEstyle セルシオ

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

That's because LEDs are directional, and not properly reflecting the light it produces off the reflectors of your turn signal housings like a normal halogen bulb would. The 30 LED bulb will give you the same result or even less because it doesn't have 6 LEDs throwing light off to the sides.

You could try the "Light Tower" bulbs from Autolumination, but I'm not sure if they'll fit into the housing since they're somewhat significantly larger than the standard 1156 bulb. And top of that, they're pretty pricey.

http://autolumination.com/1156_1157.htm

Old 06-20-05, 08:44 PM
thirdmotio
Pole Position

I just placed an order for the led towers, I think i'll give it a shot.
Old 06-22-05, 02:20 AM
Kaban
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by thirdmotio
I just installed white 24 LED bulbs for my front turn signals and it looks awesome when sun's down but can't even tell if the lights are on during the day.
I bought my bulbs from http://www.superbrightleds.com/1157.htm
I think i need brighter bulbs for it to work during the day. There's 30 bulb led on that site, maybe i should try those? Or, are there any other led bulbs out there that works during the day?
Please advise.
It's not the brightness of the leds, but the color. If it lights up yellow then it will be very visible during the day, but if it is white it is pretty hard to compete with the sun's white light. There is a reason DOT specifiy all front signal lights to be yellow.
Old 06-25-05, 08:59 AM
thirdmotio
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Kaban
It's not the brightness of the leds, but the color. If it lights up yellow then it will be very visible during the day, but if it is white it is pretty hard to compete with the sun's white light. There is a reason DOT specifiy all front signal lights to be yellow.
I've seen white turn signals on cars that were VERY visible during the day.
Old 06-26-05, 03:38 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 292 Likes on 175 Posts

What car do you have thirdmotio?

I just placed an order for the led towers, I think i'll give it a shot.
Please post your feedback once you try to those LED towers. I am very curious to see how they turn out (or not).
Old 06-27-05, 08:54 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Kaban
Sorry, not true, assuming you have yellow turn signal lenses and not clear.
First, I have the yellow LED bulbs from superbrightleds.com in my front AND rear turn signals, and I have the same problem - they are not really eye-catching during the day. Regular bulbs are better, but you'll notice that even they get washed out during the day in the sun. LEDs just don't have the multi-directional brightness of bulbs.
Second, it is strictly the luminous intensity of the LEDs that matters to visibility, NOT particularly the color (ignoring the direction of emission for a minute). White emits all colors, so if a white LED's emission is greater than a yellow led's in the range of wavelengths that are passed by the yellow turn signal lens, it will appear brighter. In other words, you can't just say that yellow will be brighter than white, it depends on the particular LEDs that you're using and their emission characteristics. Then you can add back in the angles of emission and any reflective characteristics of the lens housing, and all that will determine the final brightness.
PS: White light = Yellow light + Blue light. Your yellow turn signal lens is a decent blue filter, so when you pass white thru it, it will appear yellow anyway.
Old 06-27-05, 10:57 PM
thirdmotio
Pole Position

Originally Posted by engin_ear
Sorry, not true, assuming you have yellow turn signal lenses and not clear.
First, I have the yellow LED bulbs from superbrightleds.com in my front AND rear turn signals, and I have the same problem - they are not really eye-catching during the day. Regular bulbs are better, but you'll notice that even they get washed out during the day in the sun. LEDs just don't have the multi-directional brightness of bulbs.
Second, it is strictly the luminous intensity of the LEDs that matters to visibility, NOT particularly the color (ignoring the direction of emission for a minute). White emits all colors, so if a white LED's emission is greater than a yellow led's in the range of wavelengths that are passed by the yellow turn signal lens, it will appear brighter. In other words, you can't just say that yellow will be brighter than white, it depends on the particular LEDs that you're using and their emission characteristics. Then you can add back in the angles of emission and any reflective characteristics of the lens housing, and all that will determine the final brightness.
PS: White light = Yellow light + Blue light. Your yellow turn signal lens is a decent blue filter, so when you pass white thru it, it will appear yellow anyway.
this guy is a genius..
I recieved those LED towers today. I'm planning on putting them on after work tomorrow, hopefully.
I'll keep u guys updated.
Old 06-28-05, 05:54 PM
thirdmotio
Pole Position

ok so i got a chance to install those led towers today. I also purchased another pair of Halo led reflector bulbs off of ebay (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RK%3AMEWN%3AIT) and tried those too.

Here are the pics:

1) 19 white led bulbs (http://www.superbrightleds.com/1157.htm)
These are first LED's i put on. They're white bulbs that gives out very light purplish tint. Very pretty at night but barely visible during the day.

2) 32 Halo reflector LED
These bulbs give out light in multiple directions and visible during the day. You can't really tell from the pic but they have slight tint of blue. Very nice as well.

3) LED Towers (http://autolumination.com/1156_1157.htm)
These give out pure white light with maximum brightness.

I had a little hard time deciding between the halo and LED tower but decided to go with maximum brightness.

Here's a pic at dusk.
Old 06-28-05, 05:59 PM
EXE.UCF10
VIP|EXEstyle セルシオ

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Those are some great results...looks like being the Guinea pig paid off.
Old 06-28-05, 06:16 PM
thirdmotio
Pole Position

yep, these bulbs are very pricey though...

here's a pic at night
Old 06-28-05, 06:40 PM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

yep, these bulbs are very pricey though...

here's a pic at night
Now it's looking like a BMW E46, hehe Congrats on the install
Old 06-28-05, 06:47 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

this guy is a genius..
I recieved those LED towers today. I'm planning on putting them on after work tomorrow, hopefully.
I'll keep u guys updated.
I'll take that as a compliment, thanks.
Old 06-28-05, 09:25 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 350 Likes on 226 Posts

I'll give you guy's some free advice from someone who works with LED emissions patterns all day.

Buy the cheap led unit that stinks at radiating energy evenly and stick a small reflective dome over the top to redirect the light back to the reflector plate. Idealy, it would be spaced about 1/2 inch from the led's and overhang by 1/4 inch on all sides.
Old 06-28-05, 09:42 PM
Overclocker
G35x - RWD/AWD goodness

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dang Brian, that's some good advice for free!

I think it would even be worth your normal $0.03.

Quick Reply: LED turn sigs not bright enough during the day