Lighting A place to ask questions about HIDs & other Lexus lights

Xenon's in a 97 ES?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-01 | 07:23 PM
Es3

Okay, it's probably impossible and rediculously costly, but does anyone know if you can put Lexus Factory xenon or HID's in a 97 Es300?
Old 06-30-01 | 02:13 AM
face
Driver School Candidate

I'm sure it's possible to put '00 ES300 HID headlamp assemblies into your '97, but I'm sure you'd have to make some modifications. You probably have to make allowances for the load-leveling device present in the OEM HID's which is absent in the halogen-only '97. The parts should be quite pricey as well. The easiest and cheapest way to get HID would be a GOOD, PROPERLY INSTALLED HID retrofit kit. They start at about $600. Try autolamps-online.com. They get plenty of positive feedback at the Philips Lighting Forum. And no, I don't work for them.
Old 06-30-01 | 09:24 PM
Es3

Originally posted by face
I'm sure it's possible to put '00 ES300 HID headlamp assemblies into your '97, but I'm sure you'd have to make some modifications. You probably have to make allowances for the load-leveling device present in the OEM HID's which is absent in the halogen-only '97. The parts should be quite pricey as well. The easiest and cheapest way to get HID would be a GOOD, PROPERLY INSTALLED HID retrofit kit. They start at about $600. Try autolamps-online.com. They get plenty of positive feedback at the Philips Lighting Forum. And no, I don't work for them.
Face,

Thanks for the tips... so who do you work for if not Philips Obviously your knowledgeable about lights

Old 07-01-01 | 02:07 AM
face
Driver School Candidate

Default hey Es3!

When you buy an HID retrofit kit, keep in mind that you're putting HID in reflectors designed for halogen. Thus it is not street legal; the kits are officially sold as "off road use". However, that they'll be installed in a Lexus shouldn't get you too much unwanted attention. Further, HID retrofits in halogen housings have been shown to be less "blue" than OEM. Get HID if you want to see better. If ya just wanna look "kewl", don't spend $600; get the poseur HID look-alike bulbs (that don't really look all that much like HID).

These 'plug and play' kits take minutes to install. They consist of a ballast/ignitor unit (which regulates voltage, much like that of a flourescent system), wiring, and modified bulbs designed to fit in an H7 enclosing. The hardest part is figuring out where to mount the ballasts in the ES300's crowded engine compartment!

In terms of possible glare, the U.S. (DOT-compliant) ES300's slightly fuzzy beam cutoff makes an HID retrofit here less desirable that in European (E-code compliant) lamp housings whose cutoff is sharper. On the other hand, the fact that the ES300 uses H7-sized halogen bulbs makes retrofiting desirable because the length from the base of the H7 bulb to its filament equals the length from the base of the HID D2 bulb to its arc envelope.

Besides the Philips-based kit from autolamps-online.com, you may also want to look at the Bellof kit at hitechimportlighting.com. Both are reputed to be the best. The other (typically Philips or Osram based) kits available elsewhere are apparently less desirable.

This should be a worthwhile safety upgrade that's more usefull than those ridiculous chrome 20" rims you've been eyeballing Regardless, keep us updated and post pictures of your results should you decide to take the plunge!

Good luck,
Face
Old 07-01-01 | 02:21 AM
face
Driver School Candidate

Default footnote

In the previous post I said, "the fact that the ES300 uses H7-sized halogen bulbs makes retrofiting desirable because the length from the base of the H7 bulb to its filament equals the length from the base of the HID D2 bulb to its arc envelope. "

The reason that this is desirable is that the kit will be "beam pattern correct." Remember, that the placement of the filament, or (in the case of HID) the arc envelope is critical for proper light projection, ESPECIALLY WITH H7.

I also said, "Further, HID retrofits in halogen housings have been shown to be less 'blue' than OEM."

On the other hand, HID retrofits are still unmistakably HID in appearance (i.e. higher color temperature). Typically, halogen carries a color temperature of 3200 Kelvin. OEM HID is about 4250K. HID retrofits usually run about 4100K. The difference is due to variances in reflector characteristics and the chemical mixture of various salts in the arc envelope. Further, the HID must be cycled for a couple months of use to attain full "whiteness."

Old 07-08-01 | 09:19 AM
Es3

Default HID upgrade...

In the previous post I said, "the fact that the ES300 uses H7-sized halogen bulbs makes retrofiting desirable because the length from the base of the H7 bulb to its filament equals the length from the base of the HID D2 bulb to its arc envelope. "

Face,

Thanks for your plethora of knowledge... are you sure you don't work for philips or something Not sure how soon I'll do anything, just wanted to know what my options are. Another question are ALL HID's "auto-levelling"?

Old 07-08-01 | 06:31 PM
face
Driver School Candidate

Heh heh heh. No, I do not work for Philips. Nor do I sell any lighting products. However I did PLENTY of research before retrofiting HID into my Mazda Millenia last year. It's very important to educate yourself well before upgrading your headlights! True xenon HID puts out some 2.5 times the lumens of your ordinary halogen lights. (The typical 35 watt D2S or D2R bulb puts out the equivalent of about 135 halogen watts!) Thus, if there was any significant glare from your halogen housings in the first place, this glare will be multiplied by a factor of 2.5! You want a QUALITY kit that is PROPERLY installed. Not a cheapo kit from some fly-by-night or some internet auction site. Even if it has Philips or Osram components! Be carefull.

Every year more and more cars are becoming equipped with HID. Not only is it safer, but its also "greener" (much like a compact flourescent compared with an incandescent bulb). You get way more usable light out of less power (HID bulb is 35 watts vs. halogen at 55 watts). Good luck!
Old 07-08-01 | 06:43 PM
face
Driver School Candidate

After my constant babbling, I forgot to answer one of your original questions.

No, not all OEM HID systems have the auto-leveling feature. Lexus, BMW, Mercedes and Audi HID systems have auto-leveling. Acura, Infiniti (except '02 Q45), Lincoln and GMC Truck HID systems do not have it. This feature helps compensate for car weight load and road level to keep the lights from blinding oncoming drivers. They work OK except when driving uphill, in which case the system points the lights DOWN rather than at the road ahead. Of course the HID kits you buy do not have this feature.
Old 07-09-01 | 08:12 AM
Es3

Default HID's

Heh heh heh. No, I do not work for Philips. Nor do I sell any lighting products. However I did PLENTY of research before retrofiting HID into my Mazda Millenia last year. It's very important to educate yourself well before upgrading your headlights! True xenon HID puts out some 2.5 times the lumens of your ordinary halogen lights. (The typical 35 watt D2S or D2R bulb puts out the equivalent of about 135 halogen watts!) Thus, if there was any significant glare from your halogen housings in the first place, this glare will be multiplied by a factor of 2.5! You want a QUALITY kit that is PROPERLY installed. Not a cheapo kit from some fly-by-night or some internet auction site. Even if it has Philips or Osram components! Be carefull.

Every year more and more cars are becoming equipped with HID. Not only is it safer, but its also "greener" (much like a compact flourescent compared with an incandescent bulb). You get way more usable light out of less power (HID bulb is 35 watts vs. halogen at 55 watts). Good luck!
Face,

Just a few more follow-ups. Some lights appear to have more of a blue-purple-white (Audi/BMW-if you can follow all of that) glare as opposed to a green hue. Am I just color-blind? Or will HID's vary in color

Thanks again,
Es3

OH yeah, do you have any photos of your new HID's in your Mazda that you can post or email?
michaelmoely@hotmail.com
Old 07-10-01 | 12:05 AM
face
Driver School Candidate

You asked, "Some lights appear to have more of a blue-purple-white (Audi/BMW-if you can follow all of that) glare as opposed to a green hue. Am I just color-blind?"

That's a pretty controversial (highly debatable) question among lighting experts... I'll try my best to explain. There are several reasons for the variances in color. Here it goes:

1) <b>The differences in salt mixtures contained within the HID bulb's arc envelope (the "gas bubble" in the bulb).</b> The differences in chemistry from bulb brand to bulb brand accounts for some color difference. The (now hard to find) first-generation Osram bulbs have been shown to be "bluer", that is, have a higher color temperature. The newest Philips and Osram D2S and D2R bulbs have lower color temperatures (These new bulbs apparently last longer). Ever notice that earlier HID systems were more "blue/purple" than they are now? Compare the HID from a '95 BMW 740i to a current '02 Acura CL and you'll know what I mean. How 'bout a non-automotive HID example? Notice that the mercury vapor lamps used in warehouses are white compared with the deep yellow low-pressure sodium lamps in parking lots.

2) <b>Reflector optics.</b> The arc envelope is not a homogenous light source like the filaments in a halogen bulb. That is, if you examine a lit D2S or D2R bulb, you'll see a band of "bluer" light closer to the edges and more white/yellow light in the center. The reflector optics of some headlamps will reflect this "bluer" light more than the reflector optics of other headlamps. Remember, halogen reflectors were designed to reflect a halogen filament which is a homogenous in color. The color from is the same from one edge of the halogen filament ito the other. Thus HID retrofitted in halogen housing is typically less "blue". The 1997-2001 ES300 uses reflector optics with H7 lowbeam halogen or D2R lowbeam OEM HID (with unique reflectors designed specifically for HID). I have a '97 ES300.

3) <b>Projector optics.</b> Many lamps with the projector lenses do funny things with light. Since projectors must bend the light, you'll sometimes get color refraction (the "prism" effect) at the sharp cutoff of the beam. You'll typically see a thin band of blue at the sharp edges of the light beams. This is especially pronounced with Audi and BMW projector lamps. This is why you see a blue "flash" as an oncoming Audi hits a bump on the road at night. However, Lexus and Acura projectors have more blurry edges to the beam and color refraction is very mild compared with Audi. Projector headlamps work well with HID retrofits because of their sharp cut-off in beam pattern; they allow so little light above the cut-off that glare is less of an issue. The 1992-1996 ES300 has projector beam lamps with 9006 lowbeam halogen bulbs.

My pics I took last year are horrible. Plus I don't have a digital camera. You can see much better pics at the Philips Lighting forum. Check it out! Hope this helps. Whew!

http://www.lighting.philips.com/foru...gi?maxmesgs=50
Old 09-07-03 | 06:25 PM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Hey Face, Would you believe I've STILL yet to make an HID upgrade purchase? Actually I've got another question. I'm considering buying the entire HID lamp assemblies from a damaged 2000 ES300, is it likely that these would fit into my '97 ES3, also would you recommend that over getting a retro kit in my halogen housings? Thanks again.