Notices
Lighting A place to ask questions about HIDs & other Lexus lights

What's this....Another Retro?!!!???! (Cough Q45 into GS400 Cough)

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-05, 06:55 PM
tiguy99
Pole Position

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Ok...Few things...the projectors are finally mounted. I'm only left with aligning the beams on both sides to make sure its straight and then they're off to UPS Tues Morning. For now, I've attached a few Q45 beam shots and have taken some next to my E46 ECE shots for comparison. Enjoy these for now and look for my mini write up on how the retro was done. I said the word mini for a reason...this one's taken a little longer than the others and I'll spare all the minor details. For now Enjoy!!!

I hate how digicams can't show how the little beams appear while lit. Instead we're stuck with a white lit pie plate. These things look beatiful when lit or off for that matter!
Old 07-04-05, 10:15 AM
QuikLex
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's my favorite retro. I should be starting mine very shortly (in the next couple weeks). Congrats on another great looking job!!
Old 07-04-05, 11:07 AM
tiguy99
Pole Position

Thanks. Looks like I have to go back and make quite a few adjustments. For one, per Soaristo's instructions here for the retrofit

| | | | |
VVVVV

http://www7.plala.or.jp/soaristo/

^ ^ ^
| | |
I've discovered that the actual projector is mounted to the rear of the housing totally bypassing the reflector itself. I find this facinating because I've always had this one standard of retrofitting and now I'm going to have to do it like this.

I've come to the conclusion that I will follow his instuctions because after setting it up this past week and following through last night, I found myself going to close the lamps an hour ago and discovered that the turn signal trims wouldn't clear for the lamp to close!

So now I'm going to redo the whole mounting setup and install the Q45 projectors like how Soaristo did his unless someone else can come along and inform me on how I can set this up to have it close clean an efficient without cutting anything on the GS chrome trim (something I definately want to avoid).

Last edited by tiguy99; 07-04-05 at 11:12 AM.
Old 07-04-05, 11:29 AM
tiguy99
Pole Position

Here's the problem

Here's a solution....

Here's what I'm doing.....look at the answer above this post.....
Old 07-04-05, 03:34 PM
tiguy99
Pole Position

I went out and got these (lamp shade plates) from Home Depot because they're durable AND light. This is what I'll be using to recreate entirely new mounts for the Q45 projector to sit on while it'll be remounted to the Lexus housing entirely by itself. I'll now bypass the low beam reflector and do it likt Soaristo did because his works and I assume Gammalex and Aloha03gs followed the same format. Unfortunately I won't be able to send it out by tomorrow as planned but I'd rather do it right vs. try to rush and do a half @zzed job. Look for more pics later on
Old 07-05-05, 02:11 PM
tiguy99
Pole Position

Ladies and Gents I present you the finished Q45 Projector Retro complete with full adjustability using OEM screws! Final pics to follow after the chrome test

Last edited by tiguy99; 07-05-05 at 02:25 PM.
Old 07-05-05, 02:21 PM
corkycal
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

mike,

did you cut the turn signal chrome piece? can't want to see the finish product.
Old 07-05-05, 02:26 PM
tiguy99
Pole Position

Yes I did. Pics will be up within the hour
Old 07-05-05, 11:30 PM
tiguy99
Pole Position

Yes its 1am and I've got a long day ahead but for the time being you guys deserve to see some "almost final" shots of this thing.

I say almost because I ran into another small challange...Looks like I've got to trim the GS trims down a little more because although the projector cleared, when its all closed together, the gap is to small that you cannot adjust it fully without breaking the seal (something I'm NOT going to allow although some people say FI but I'm not the one). Anyhow. Enjoy these.

I'm going into the office late tomorrow so I'll be able to get up early, make the adjustments and then reseal and ship. So these may be the last shots you see before they're shown after installation

Last edited by tiguy99; 07-05-05 at 11:34 PM.
Old 07-06-05, 02:43 AM
dmodstl
Lexus Test Driver

I'll be looking forward to reading your mini-writeup on this retro. Can't wait.
Old 07-06-05, 10:22 AM
tiguy99
Pole Position

Funny thing is this morning, I still had to trim some more just to get it to fit properly. The only thing I couldn't do was polish the lenses the way I wanted to because time ran out so the owner's going to have to do that when he gets a chance. Otherwise, look for final shots when I get home this evening. I'll have them processed and uploaded by then
Old 07-06-05, 10:24 AM
tiguy99
Pole Position

Originally Posted by dmodstl
I'll be looking forward to reading your mini-writeup on this retro. Can't wait.
If you want to see a good write up check out Soaristo's site on how he did his.

Only difference here is I managed to keep the OEM relectors vs. machine an entirely new mounting system (which would have taken forever since I don't have access to that equipment or know anyone that does).

However, I'll try my best to refrase what went on when I get home later this evening and acutally have more time to gather my thoughts

Last edited by tiguy99; 07-06-05 at 10:28 AM.
Old 07-06-05, 09:59 PM
tiguy99
Pole Position

As promised

Old 07-07-05, 01:40 AM
r0llm0del
Driver

damn mike you out did yourself this time Excellent job brah they look *#%@ $* b@dazzzzz!!! i cant wait to get em. i will upload beam and cut off shots once i put em on.
Old 07-07-05, 02:35 AM
dmodstl
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by r0llm0del
damn mike you out did yourself this time Excellent job brah they look *#%@ $* b@dazzzzz!!! i cant wait to get em. i will upload beam and cut off shots once i put em on.
Congrats on the lights. This mod is one you will enjoy many times over. Will be looking forward to the pics.

Quick Reply: What's this....Another Retro?!!!???! (Cough Q45 into GS400 Cough)