Notices
Lighting A place to ask questions about HIDs & other Lexus lights

What's this....Another Retro?!!!???! (Cough Q45 into GS400 Cough)

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-05, 07:11 PM
tiguy99
Pole Position

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default What's this....Another Retro?!!!???! (Cough Q45 into GS400 Cough)

Like the title says....so far, I've managed to openall the boxes and post some before shots before I gut these boys out and begin work on them. Enjoy the pics (of the lamps of course...what else do you think I was talking about!)

GS Halogen lamp before I touch it

Awe look at that! The world's most powerful headlamp (according to Infiniti) is nothing compared to Ester Baxter (and no she doesn't come with the retro...that's extra)

well look a here bulbs and ballasts still intact!

how'd that get in there?

Ohh I dunno...the Q45 lamp seems to be loosing this one lol

Awe seven projectors focused into one beam! Wonder what that's going to be like....Anyone knwo where Aristo went? He's got pics of his GS-Q45 retro somewhere around here.

Enjoy

Last edited by tiguy99; 06-28-05 at 07:27 PM.
Old 06-28-05, 08:49 PM
corkycal
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

another great project on it's way. mike please read my pm to you because i need a liitle help with your expertise.
Old 06-29-05, 08:50 AM
LEXISM
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sweet bro
Old 06-29-05, 09:38 AM
DjFergi
Lexus Test Driver

lookin good

-Fernando
Old 06-29-05, 10:38 AM
tofu_house
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you'll love them... i love mine.
Old 06-29-05, 01:22 PM
tiguy99
Pole Position

I'll have more pics up tonight of the whole process and a detailed writeup so look for that!
Peace
Old 06-29-05, 09:27 PM
tiguy99
Pole Position

Originally Posted by tiguy99
I'll have more pics up tonight of the whole process and a detailed writeup so look for that!
Peace
Sorry I'm running behind schedule so the write up will have to be postponed until tomorrow. But I'll share that I've finally figured out how to get those Q45 projectors out of their housings without breaking them (look for pics tomorrow evening when I can upload them). From the way it looks, the GS reflector looks like its large enough to direct bolt the projector and support its massive size. Look for the pics on how the process goes in the evening tomorrow

Last edited by tiguy99; 06-29-05 at 09:30 PM.
Old 06-30-05, 11:17 AM
LEXISM
Lexus Champion

you have pm
Old 06-30-05, 05:07 PM
tiguy99
Pole Position

I'm going to do a write up on how to open and reseal GS lamps (at least the way I do it nice and clean with no moisture). Look for that in 2 hours when I get home from the office
Old 07-01-05, 10:47 PM
tiguy99
Pole Position

Ok...here's an update. I've got to the point the projectors mount onto the GS reflectors. The only thing that concerns me is that these projectors are massive when compared to the regular HID projectors out there. Extra precaution must be taken when interfacing these things to the Lexus housing. At first I had it in there but the screws werent' enough to hold the projector in place (being that there are only 2 holes you can use (unless I drill 2 other ones on the bottoms so I can have access to that area for support.) So I'm at the point I'm searching for some good pieces to use as backup to reenforce the mount points and we're good to go. Here are the latest pics

Perfect size for the large GS reflector! No Shroud necessary

Q45 projectors should have some holes at the bottom. Would have almost made it plug and play...anyhow I'll be taking care of that part when it finally comes together tomorrow

(One of the reflectors it sits on....this is before the mount points are determined for accuracy in aiming)

Projector up close

More pics to come. For now, you can find the others I didn't post here in the gallery....

Last edited by tiguy99; 07-01-05 at 10:58 PM.
Old 07-02-05, 04:57 PM
tiguy99
Pole Position

Q45 Projector....You've been Owned!!!!

Now look for the beam shots in a few
Old 07-02-05, 05:32 PM
tiguy99
Pole Position

Hold up wait...gotta go back and fix this...

Its check and balance time...any and every problem known to man that is retrofit related is tested tried and true until we get perfection in this stage.

Otherwise here's a rough scetch of what the final lamp is going to be once I redo the whole mount

Old 07-02-05, 06:03 PM
noop
Instructor

looking good mike!!!!! honestly i think i might be going with another retro a Q45 this time!

Last edited by NooP; 07-02-05 at 06:07 PM.
Old 07-03-05, 03:38 AM
r0llm0del
Driver

Hey guys, these Q45 retrofit head lights are my first major mod for my GS. What do u guys think as far as painting the housing? I have a blue GS and Im comtemplating on the satin black for the housing. I dont know if it would look right. I want there to be some kind of contrast between the color of my car and these headlights. They look good so far Mike
Old 07-03-05, 11:25 AM
tiguy99
Pole Position

The main issue I had with this is finding the right screws and mounts to have it all come together with the proper support. I've tried about 4 different ideas each one lacking the confidence I usually get when I do this. I came close to wrapping it up yesterday but ran into another issue....the screws were too short. So now its back to Home Depot to grab the right size and pick up some more washers so we can get this show on the road!

In the end I'll give a quick rundown on how a retrofit is done so some more brave souls can step up and take some modding work into their own hands. Let's take it back to the days when at least 4-5 different guys on this board used to retrofit and bounce ideas off of one another and come up with some really nice projects. That's how I learned

Quick Reply: What's this....Another Retro?!!!???! (Cough Q45 into GS400 Cough)