Notices
Lighting A place to ask questions about HIDs & other Lexus lights

can you make non hid housing in to hid housing?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-05, 02:36 PM
LEXISM
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default can you make non hid housing in to hid housing?

just wondering .....I have 99 hid housing on my GS ...can I purchase a newer non hid housing(w/ that greenish tint ) and swap parts to make the non hid housing into hid housing

I guess what Im asking is, are the part interchangable?
Old 07-06-05, 03:08 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hmm. I have not tried this. I know you will need to drill a hole at the bottom for the ballast wiring. Also, you will need to move over the ballast mounting screws. This is only the outside. You will need to open them up to swap the reflectors/shield as they are different too. There is also the leveling computer to mount and hook up.
Old 07-06-05, 03:27 PM
LEXISM
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Neo
Hmm. I have not tried this. I know you will need to drill a hole at the bottom for the ballast wiring. Also, you will need to move over the ballast mounting screws. This is only the outside. You will need to open them up to swap the reflectors/shield as they are different too. There is also the leveling computer to mount and hook up.
WOW ...seems lika alot to do ...well awnser this... all I want off the newer housing is the new lense and the chrome .... so can I take these and put them in my housing ? they should fit right and everything else stays the same
Old 07-06-05, 03:41 PM
Neo
The One

Originally Posted by LEXISM
WOW ...seems lika alot to do ...well awnser this... all I want off the newer housing is the new lense and the chrome .... so can I take these and put them in my housing ? they should fit right and everything else stays the same
I have not seen the internals of the new headlights so I can't be sure that is all you need. The plastic on the outside is the same. The green comes from the chrome inside anyway. That chrome bezek piece is also the same in both HID/non-HID. I don't know if the reflector chrome piece is green, though. This part is not swappable as like I said earlier, they are different.
Old 07-07-05, 08:16 AM
LEXISM
Lexus Champion

I dont think th reflector is green I think just the Chrome is ....I think I can get a hold of one of these so I might try this
Old 07-07-05, 10:46 AM
Neo
The One

Originally Posted by LEXISM
I dont think th reflector is green I think just the Chrome is
Well, the reflectors are also chrome.

Anyway, good luck with it and let us know how it turns out.
Old 07-07-05, 11:27 AM
vicestan
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dont waist your time, as far as retrofitting hid reflectors into none hid housing. If you do want to attemp this, then you will need all the mounting bolts from the old hid headlight into the none hid headlight. I attempted this more then a year ago and it came out pretty poorly, the reason is the adjusting bolts are shorter on the HID housing because of the HID reflector design, if you are to compare these 2 and I can get you a picture since I have both reflectors out right now you will see that the hid reflector is very different in shape, the halogen one is more like a deep soup bowl while the HID is more of a small pastry dish. Anyway with alot of time and patience its possible to retro them considering you swap pretty much everything except the housing but I doubt its worth your nerves and all. As far as the green tinted chrome piece goes you can swap that easy, they bolt right of. If you want I will have a set of regular hid housing's for sale really soon, since I just purchased a set of lexus LS projectors which tickled my fancy just a little to much to ignore them. Anyway I will complete them as fast as I can since I want to see the light and let others see the light ( that kinda makes me a HID misionary ). Anyway dont attempt HID swap unless you have nerves of steel and a quick working mind to work with all the problems you will encounter.
Old 07-07-05, 11:32 AM
vicestan
Lead Lap

Oh crap, I just read what you siad over again and I babbled on to much, and to answer you again, what you want is a easy swap, you can swap the green tinted chrome piece in your headlights and even the new lenses, or get your lenses or the once you will remove from the halogen lights rebuffed. This is a easy swap in which you can also clear your turn signal light, but remember one thing when you open them up have alot of old cheap pens around to scoup up all the stretching glue, because if you get some on your green reflector you will need to use goo-gone to remove it and it does work but if you rub a little to much the chrome will start to come of and you have a set of ruined reflectors ( I learned that the hard way ). When the chrome piece is still hot try not to touch the reflecting surface, or any other time for that matter, because like I said its hard to make it shiny again after all your finger oil on them. Once your ready to seal them back up, only put the hid housing in the oven, do not heat the lense, beacause the lense will have glue left over on its edges and when it warms up and you are putting the lens back onto the housing you WILL get some glue on the reflector and that WILL **** you of.
Old 07-07-05, 12:37 PM
LEXISM
Lexus Champion

thanks VISE!!! just what I needed
Old 07-07-05, 12:52 PM
tiguy99
Pole Position

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Just a little less work than HID retrofitting but retrofitting usually is cheaper vs. buying replacement HID GS headlamps to grab the donor parts from. Plus projectors give you much better output vs. reflectors (which the OEM GS HID lamps are). Look at Soristo's comparison of his before and after shots. He had the setup you're looking at and converted over to the Q45s
Old 07-07-05, 01:30 PM
vicestan
Lead Lap

Hey ti your in chicago? I live in oswego, once im done retrofitting my ls projectors I can show them to you in person, and brace your self for the jaw dropping light output. Oh and lexism if you want I can buff the lenses out for you, they will shine like brand new.
Old 07-07-05, 01:42 PM
Neo
The One

Thanks for the input guys. I agree that if it is being opened up, might as well do a retro. For some, though, the goal is to stay with the "best" (as defined by the individual) OEM setup possible so a retro is out of the question. It is like some who want purely OEM nav vs an aftermarket OEM looking nav. Different strokes ...

I think if Lexism wants a simple "upgrade" to the newer green tinted ones, it is doable and will still be cheaper than a full on retro.

Good luck either way bro.
Old 07-07-05, 08:40 PM
corkycal
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

lexism,

i've been at your route. in my opinion, it's easier to buy factory hid headlights and modify the plug to fit a 9006 socket. you won't have to mess with all the swoping. if you already have the stock ballasts and d2r bulbs, just get factory hid housings with the green tint.

good luck.
Old 07-08-05, 09:51 AM
vicestan
Lead Lap

Well, factory green housing with hid is hard to come by, if he already has hid lights and can get a set of halogen lights with green tint, why not get it?????, it might even come out cheaper.
Old 07-08-05, 10:21 AM
LEXISM
Lexus Champion

Thanks to all of you guys ......

I would love to do a retro (LS430/S2000/Q45)

But I dont have the time nor Money right now ...and since my cars front end is just freshly painted my 99' HID Headlights look F'd up... and I have to open them any way to clean and buff them.

and since I have a hook up on used parts ...I told my supplier to find me a set of broken 01 headlights (green tint) cus All I need is the chrome in side to swap out ...so we'll see how this comes out

Thanks again for all of your input