Lighting A place to ask questions about HIDs & other Lexus lights

Plug n Play HID Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-05, 02:03 AM
xknowonex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Plug n Play HID Upgrade

Ok there are a million threads on fancy retrofits and how plug and play kits dont work all that great because of the scattered beam pattern. I tried to read most of them. After months of driving around in with the stock inadequate lights, frequently switchin on the highs on certain streets just to see things, Im going resort to spending money on a plug and play kit. The plug n play option is obviously inferior to retrofitting but I dont wanna hack anything open and Im not very good at fabricating things. Therefore, Im goin with plug and play.

So, how bad is plug and play. Is it a much bigger improvment over stock thats worth the money? Can u guys post pics of plug play conversions on the SC? I have this kit in mind. What do u guys think?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...spagename=WDVW
Old 07-21-05, 02:25 AM
vinh
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the plug and play kit helps A WHOLE LOT!! I put them in and got almost 100% better vision at night. The glare and everything isnt that bad since our cars come with projectors and not reflector housings. Therefore the d2s bulbs wont put off to much glare to other drivers and the cutoff really isnt that bad.

Sorry dont have any pics, but a plug and play is is def the way to go if you want HID's and are too lazy to do a retrofit.

as far as the kit you chose on ebay, i really dont know about those. But always remember when it comes to HID's you cant go wrong with phillips.
Old 07-21-05, 06:57 AM
aswang
Lexus Test Driver

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

wow, I may just consider purchasing those
Old 07-21-05, 07:57 AM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

I have to say that a proper retrofit would kill a plug-n-play kit, but a plug-n-play kit is a lot better than the factory globes.

A proper retrofit is on the cards for me, but later on...

Jose
Old 07-21-05, 08:09 AM
IronCobra
Lexus Champion

I have a plug and play kit that I have used for over 4 years in 2 different SCs. They help considerably with light output and nighttime visablility. I recently had two NEW headlight fixtures put in and I now get the same light output as a retrofit would product. The new headlight housings and projectors use a much clearer lense.

Check out my thread Link
Old 07-21-05, 10:14 AM
Aristo300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Plug-n-Play $322 shipped.

Old 07-21-05, 11:58 AM
xknowonex
Lexus Fanatic

I dont mind retrofitting unless a Socal member is willing to help me out. Any takers?I dont wanna waste money and then screw it all up. Ok so does that kit sound good? Hella with Osram and Phillips doesnt sound too bad. Phillips kit is obviously the best but 500 is too much
Old 07-21-05, 05:26 PM
IronCobra
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by xknowonex
I dont mind retrofitting unless a Socal member is willing to help me out. Any takers?I dont wanna waste money and then screw it all up. Ok so does that kit sound good? Hella with Osram and Phillips doesnt sound too bad. Phillips kit is obviously the best but 500 is too much

Dude your signature is disturbing to me. Before doing this mod I would spend the money on maintenance. Can't enjoy headlights if your car breaks down.

On the other hand, Xenons look so Cool and will add safety to your driving... I'm torn

Anyhow, back on topic..

The kit is purfect. Don't get anything over 6000k bulbs so you don't looked "riced out"....

You might actually find someone who is willing to assist in the retro..... Don't want me helping.. I'll screw it all up Then you will have light output like this

Last edited by IronCobra; 07-21-05 at 05:33 PM.
Old 07-21-05, 11:16 PM
xknowonex
Lexus Fanatic

My signature is kind of an overstatement. My car is a one owner and its running real good actually. It needs front end bushings. Engine wise, it has a new timing belt and radiator. However, the owner skipped the cam n crank seals AND the waterpump.

The safety of brighter headlights, considerin how dim stocks are, justifies the upgrade, its not just for aesthetics.
Old 07-22-05, 07:20 AM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Plug n Play HID kits will be nowhere near the quality and output of a retrofit with correct projectors. However, they are still way better than the stocks. Mine are much brighter and last longer than the Sylvania 9005 conversion bulbs (which for were going out every 10-12 months or so). I say go for it.
Old 07-22-05, 09:32 AM
IronCobra
Lexus Champion

I would have to say that my new OEM headlights are just as bright as a retrofit. I pulled up next to a new E500 Mercedes with HIDs and you could not tell the difference in brightness. My car actually created that "eclipsing" effect over his headlights when I was passing him. It was awesome.
Old 07-28-05, 12:58 AM
xknowonex
Lexus Fanatic

so what do u guys think of that kit on ebay?
Old 07-28-05, 07:55 AM
Goldark
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by BrownDuckz
Plug-n-Play $322 shipped.

what kit is that?
Old 07-31-05, 04:00 PM
Last5Spd
Pole Position

iam interested in this kit... my friend is a doing a proper retrofit.. but i wanna see what i can accomplish outta this one... any more info?
Old 08-03-05, 06:38 AM
raphster
Driver School Candidate

most kits will produce the HID "bright light" you're looking for. where the kits will differ is the quality of the ballast and more importantly the bulbs. The quality of ballasts will be apparent if and when they burn out quickly. otherwise most if not all will do what they're supposed to do, provide juice to fire up the bulbs. The same with the bulbs, they will throw a ton of "white" light onto the road, huge improvement over halogens. Quality will depend on true light output, lifespan and most important the alignment of the bulb in the housing. If you have projectors, like I have on my 05' GX beware, because I actually believe I have less light output than my halogens because the "crap" bulbs I got (rebased H11) are not aligned properly for my projectors and the result is a dimmed light pattern. My kit is a comprised of Hella gen4 ballast and some 5500k bulbs that were made in korea, trying to find some quality bulbs to replace those.