92-96 ES300 HID conversion

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-05, 04:32 AM
SEXY LEXY
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 92-96 ES300 HID conversion

Hey I'm new to clublexus!
but anyways, I just bought these 12,000K HID kits from Hidynamic.
I was wondering if all u other fellows who have 92-96 ES300 and installed an aftermarket HID before? Does our headlights have cut-off? I assume we do because we have projector lights stock. If it doesn't, then where can i find some projector for my car that will have cut-off? Thanks!
Old 09-30-05, 08:57 AM
vicestan
Lead Lap

Oh no not 12k bulbs, uhhh well to answer your projector question, yes the es has a cutof, all projectors do. Now the fact that those projectors are old and were never designed to be efficent, (plus they are halogen) the light output with oem bulbs is mediocore. Now the fact that you are going to install 12k bulbs into those projectors will give you a light output similar to that of a colored halogen bulb, heck I think silvania silverstars will outshine your 12k kit. And even if you ever decided to retrofit real HID Projectors into your car you cant use the hid kit you just purschased because none of the connections will fit.

Sorry to disapoint you but try and get your money back if you still can and if you can't, well then lets hope you have uneducated cops in your area because they are now on the look out for hid "kits". By the way I hope you dont have sensitive eyes because 12k light output will strain the **** out of them when your driving at night, I remember a month ago I was driving home at night when I saw a honda civic with a 12k hid kit and man I didnt know who to feel sorry for, me?because my eyes were hurting from all that purple light, The owner of the civic? for his eyes and his wallet, or all the other people who have to put up with that purple light. All in all retrofitters have very little chance if none at all after they have real oem projectors retroed into there cars, if they are pointed correctly and dont blind incoming drivers they have no problems, but when you have PURPLE light coming from your headlights this tends to catch the attention of police.
Old 09-30-05, 10:36 AM
SEXY LEXY
Driver School Candidate

What if I take the headlight out and clean them? It still wouldn't be as bright because it's not design to be H.I.D.? Oh man , I feel very disappointed because I paid $300 for this kit. I can't believe a stupid $40 silver star would be brighter then my $300 H.I.D. Well I'm still waiting for it to come, I hope it's not like what you say...
Old 09-30-05, 11:19 AM
vicestan
Lead Lap

Its not the dirt issue but the kelvin temperature for your bulbs. Think of it this way, white light has every color of the light spectrum, thus you get the combined intensity of all the colors. With 12kelvin light bulbs they give of a deep purple color, now that means ( I forgot which colors you need to mix to get purple ohh art class ) basically your only getting the intensity in light (lm) of those few colors that mix to give of purple. Thats why OEM cars that are equiped with hid use either 4100k 4300k and 5000k bulbs. Now like I said add the fact that your projectors were not designed for HID that takes another 55% of the maximum potencial light thats able to be concentrated on the road thats not due to the halogen design. Plus if your lens is dirty or faded thats another - 20% because all polycarbonate plastic is rated at about 10-15 percent light loss. Now with all those factors I believe your light output ( actually light hitting the road ) will be close to that of silvania silver stars. Honestly if you havent recieved the kit yet , dont open it when you do just return it or exchange it, I'm sure they have a return/exchange policy. And if you dont want to go through all of that retrofitting and what-not, exchange it for a kit with 6000k bulbs. By the way if the ballast in that kid are not phillips dont even bother exchaning because those korean made ballast will surely fail in a short time.
Old 10-03-05, 04:11 PM
blux
Pole Position

The 92-96 headlights are basically reaedy for HID. The cutoff is nice, but not as perfect as buying projectors made for HID use. I purchased a conversion kit online with 6000K bulbs. Overall there was an amazing difference in the light that is put down on the road, and straight ahead. Although with the cutoff, you dont blind the other drivers, etc. I would reccomend this upgrade to anyone with the 92-96 headlights. I have pics if anyone is interested..
Old 10-03-05, 05:08 PM
3rdelement
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

BLUX post some PICS or PM me. Im curious what the stock projectors look like with hid.
Old 10-04-05, 09:44 AM
SEXY LEXY
Driver School Candidate

How do you guys point the HID bulb down so you don't blind people. Isn't putting on the hid bulbs is the same as haolgen bulbs? Hmm...if not then could u guys show me the sites to do them?
Old 10-04-05, 09:58 AM
tiguy99
Pole Position

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

www.hidplanet.com/forums

is a good place to go for more info. Just make sure you hit the hid kit tab
Old 10-09-05, 04:43 PM
SEXY LEXY
Driver School Candidate

The HID that i bought finally came on friday and I installed it. I didn't have a chance to go online and post it. What do you guys think?

Stock lights

HID lights

Are these nice cutoffs?

What do you guys think? How are the lights? It's a big improvment on this old car. Drive to the local store and people check out my ride. hehe there is no better feeling then people staring at your car. Thanks to all of you that gave me informations and advices!

p.s. the light is not completely purple. It is a mixture of purple/pink/white. and my friend said the car looks kinda white from far away. hmmm isn't that weird, it's 12000K not 6000K...

Last edited by SEXY LEXY; 10-09-05 at 05:00 PM.
Old 10-09-05, 04:53 PM
3rdelement
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

pretty good! a lil blue for my taste. but if you like it then enjoy it!

this is my cuttoff with silverstars so you can compair.