Notices
Lighting A place to ask questions about HIDs & other Lexus lights

Wiring harness with Relay needed on HID kit? Absolutely?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-05, 03:13 PM
techsc400
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Wiring harness with Relay needed on HID kit? Absolutely?

Hi CL HID experts? I need your expert opinions on this?

Now days lots of HID conversion kits for our cars are getting cheaper. They used to be over $500. This puts me into to look for one for my SC also.

I saw lots of cheaper HID conversion kits on eBay withthout wiring harness (no relay). Just direct plug with OEM 9006 bulb sockets for the power source. (with maybe some higher fuse 30amp replacement).
Yes, I know that Balast should be Philips or Hella, bulb should be Philips for durability.

The real question is,

Do I really need wiring harness with relay to protect light switches, etc from the momentary spike when you turn the light on? Do we really need direct connection from the battery for the power source for this conversion kit and use replay and OEM 9006 socket for the switch function.? (This is what wiring harness with relay is used for)

OR we do not need the relay. just direct power from 9006 socket for HID conversion kit is fine? No harm...?

Anyone actually had a problem because you connected directly?

Last edited by techsc400; 10-09-05 at 03:45 PM.
Old 10-09-05, 09:56 PM
rgarjr
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should be fine running the HID with the stock wiring. The HIDs actually use less power when they are on versus the halogens.
Old 10-15-05, 03:11 AM
05ES330
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have used "plug and play" hid kits before, and have dealt and know of many sets. haven't had any problems. if you are still concerened you can pick up a set of relays premade on ebay for like 40 bucks. there are plenty of kits that sell "phillips" bulbs out there, but many of them really aren't phillip bulbs. phillips only have certain color temps, some kits try to sell "phillips" bulbs that phillip's doesn't even make. anyways HID bulbs start off as OEM bulbs and are rebased. if you really look into quality then check out the maker of the actually kit and rebasing of the bulbs. don't be fooled by a kit that uses hella or philliips ballasts but uses a cheap capsule.

Last edited by 05ES330; 10-15-05 at 03:15 AM.
Old 10-15-05, 09:36 AM
vicestan
Lead Lap

Mm a simple look in the forum and you will come across https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=182046

Hid lighting uses about 40 watt's per ballast ( +5 watt's for wire resistance ). At cold start up hid ballast pull anywhere from 8-9 amps per ballast. Replacing the fuse with higher amprage fuse's will only lead to problems check the upper thread out. What you have to realise is cars with halogen lights were not ment to run HID lights, the wirring was not ment to handle the current spikes which hid lights produce at cold start up. Basically are you really going to put the oem wirring harness on the line becuase you don't want to buy a 20 dollar aftermarket harness? Man Wheres henry he needs to make this info into a sticky because alot of people need to know the potencial damage from hooking the ballast up directly to the oem harness.
Old 10-15-05, 11:14 AM
tiguy99
Pole Position

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by vicestan
Mm a simple look in the forum and you will come across https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=182046

Hid lighting uses about 40 watt's per ballast ( +5 watt's for wire resistance ). At cold start up hid ballast pull anywhere from 8-9 amps per ballast. Replacing the fuse with higher amprage fuse's will only lead to problems check the upper thread out. What you have to realise is cars with halogen lights were not ment to run HID lights, the wirring was not ment to handle the current spikes which hid lights produce at cold start up. Basically are you really going to put the oem wirring harness on the line becuase you don't want to buy a 20 dollar aftermarket harness? Man Wheres henry he needs to make this info into a sticky because alot of people need to know the potencial damage from hooking the ballast up directly to the oem harness.
There are a few people around here that can help you find the correct wire harness. Basically it's a setup that connects the ballasts to a main line relay which has a wire connected to your 9006 or what ever your lowbeam bulb connects are and then finally a pos and neg connection to your battery which supplies proper regulated power to your ballasts which will keep your car's electrical system happy since ballasts run at a low 35 watts once fully powered
Old 10-15-05, 08:26 PM
techsc400
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Thank you all

I just installed the 9006 Kit that I got from eBay.
This kit comes with Hella balasts and GE 4500K rebased bulbs with Relay wiring harness. (with good price, less than $300).

I love it. My SC400 OEM Halogen project headlights provide good cut off line also. They are exactly same cut off lines as before (Halogen). Just much brighter and whiter.

Why didn't I do this earlier?
Old 10-15-05, 11:42 PM
IronCobra
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A few things.

The 9006 plug should act as the switched power supply. You should always run your main power leads from the battery with a 25 amp fuse. This will keep you from burning your socket incase your Ballast goes out or your bulb cracks.
Old 10-16-05, 06:55 PM
markesc
Lead Lap

Avoid kits that don't have relays. They are garbage, maybe it will get you by for a while, but over time you'll spend more money, time, effort/energy than you need to. Also, the color temp tends to be worthless on those cheaper kits. Stick with 4300 or 6000 kelven.

Get a good kit with relays and proper grounds. I speak from experience as I went through 2 cheapo kits on my acura in the past....

There was a highly recomended seller on here for good Hid kits...can't remember who he was, but you get what you pay for....