Lighting A place to ask questions about HIDs & other Lexus lights

New headlight bulbs!

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-05, 12:58 PM
neoprelude
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New headlight bulbs!

I went to kmart because my one bulb was burned out, they had regular bulbs for 7.00. But they also had these blue tinted halogen 9007 bulbs with 40 percent more lighting (And it is true if not better!), so I got 2 of them because it would look uneven. I figured if it looked real blue it'd be sorta ricey, but their great! Their not really blue just really WHITE (VS the yellowish stock bulbs) with a tiny hint of blue/aqua from the outside. I always thought my stock lowbeam bulbs we're really dim, these shine as far as my highbeams just not a more wide beam pattern as the highs. Their really great I only paid 20 bucks for 2 of them, they almost look like HID's realllly white and a nice long/far beam pattern and can see alot. I also unplugged my driving lights/bulbs since their yellowish, so you can really see the white/blue color. My friend has an '03 Audi A4 1.8t Quattro with the HID's their about 90 percent as bright and shine pretty much just as well, I always was thinking about dishing the money for an HID retrofit kit but no need for that these things are great and 90 percent as good as the HID's except about a 40th of the price! Even my friend with the Audi and the stock HID's said their just as bright as his HID's, so people with dim lowbeams thinking about HID's get some new good bulbs first just to see (You can always take them back if your not impressed!). Also I def. def. know why alot of you disconnect your driving lights, I can see the bulb beautiful color alot better and the headlight beam is alot straighter and not as scattered from the interference of the ****ty driving lights! And these are just cheapo bulbs, if you pickup some real nice expensive bulbs (Halogen, non HID of course) online somewhere or something I can just imagine how good they'd be. My one fog light is burned out now I just need to get a nice one of them! very happy with these babys!
Old 10-18-05, 01:02 PM
sc.Fred
Instructor

pix please and what brand are they?

glad they worked out for you
Old 10-18-05, 01:08 PM
jdmtruong
Lead Lap

whered u get it at? i really need new bulbs. cannot afford HID.
Old 10-18-05, 01:09 PM
neoprelude
Driver

Originally Posted by jdmtruong
whered u get it at? i really need new bulbs. cannot afford HID.
K-mart (little department store around here, similar to: Target, Walmart (not as big though) haha, not sure what brand. Were 9.99 each

Last edited by neoprelude; 10-18-05 at 01:13 PM.
Old 10-18-05, 01:30 PM
Fiya
Lead Lap

Be careful with outputs. When I was looking for replacments, everyone warned me about getting the cheap bulbs because they draw more electricity and the wires won't last long. Then to replace the wiring is a real hassle.
Old 10-18-05, 01:35 PM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by acidrool
Be careful with outputs. When I was looking for replacments, everyone warned me about getting the cheap bulbs because they draw more electricity and the wires won't last long. Then to replace the wiring is a real hassle.
That much is true!! Owner prior to me had replaced the bulbs and didn't pay attention to the draw. Ours are 60w? he had 90w? Don't recall specifics offhand. But, as a result, it fried my drivers side harness! Had to replace that as well as the bulbs. (HID retrofit to come soon )

Neoprelude. Just make sure the wattage is the same from the previous bulbs to the new bulbs and you'll be OK. If not, and the new pones are higher, you're gonna burn up the harness without some sort of resistor.

*Edit* - we have 9006 bulbs at 55w, the replaced ones in my car were either 65w or 75w

Last edited by mkorsu; 10-18-05 at 01:46 PM.
Old 10-18-05, 01:39 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 350 Likes on 226 Posts

Pep Boys sells heavy duty plugs with 14g-16g wire leads to use instead of the stock plugs
Old 10-18-05, 01:41 PM
Fiya
Lead Lap

Found a good thread with info. Old headlight thread I think it has specific outputs a few posts down
Old 10-18-05, 01:47 PM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Also check here for very detailed info on the headlights, bulbs, wattage, etc.

http://www.intellexual.net/faq.html#0292
Old 10-18-05, 04:21 PM
neoprelude
Driver

I mean 9006, I just forgot. I pulled the stock bulb the one that was pulled, looked off and saw the stock wattage and size (9006) and got it. So yeah no worries, I did get the 9006 / 60w bulb I just forgot which one I typed because I looked off the old one. No fitment issues either, twisted right into the projector. And these weren't CHEAP bulbs either, they had ones for half the price they were the most expensive at k-mart. So I got bulbs with 5w more draw, which is fine that isn't anything to worry about. I'm not that retarded enough to get headlights like 1/3rd more wattage output LOL, but yeah anyone looking for bright *** headlights for cheap these are it! I'm going to k-mart this week, i'll go by the auto section and write the name down for the SC owners that are interested!

Last edited by neoprelude; 10-18-05 at 04:30 PM.
Old 10-18-05, 04:36 PM
neoprelude
Driver

I'll also take pics sometime this week too, I got my camera stolen but my friend with a sunfire (yeah haha lol) is supposed to come over and we're gunna do a photoshoot together (I'm just doing it for a few pics, i'll be sure to take alot SOLO without the sunfire and a few at night!)
Old 10-18-05, 08:11 PM
laxdude362
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would recommend the sylvania silverstar line of bulbs. They are very nice and white, much better than stock, and I have never had a problem with them. One pair on my low beams lasted me about a year and 3 months. I think they are around $40 for a pair. I also have them on my high beams, and they are BRIGHT!!!. I have also replaced my daytime running lights with some hyperwhite/blue bulbs that look nice. I plan on getting some really yellow fogs. I love the look of the IS300 and GS's with nice bright HID's/ Xenon and really yellow fogs.
Old 10-18-05, 09:01 PM
adidosc
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by laxdude362
I would recommend the sylvania silverstar line of bulbs. They are very nice and white, much better than stock, and I have never had a problem with them. One pair on my low beams lasted me about a year and 3 months. I think they are around $40 for a pair. I also have them on my high beams, and they are BRIGHT!!!. I have also replaced my daytime running lights with some hyperwhite/blue bulbs that look nice. I plan on getting some really yellow fogs. I love the look of the IS300 and GS's with nice bright HID's/ Xenon and really yellow fogs.

i've been a longtime silverstar fan. even tested them against my friend's PIAA high and low beams. in both cases the silverstars were both whiter AND brighter. i don't know if i'd get any bulb with a blue tint for my high/lows personally... i want complete white and no blue whatsoever, and that's what i got.
Old 10-18-05, 09:39 PM
IronCobra
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by adidosc

i've been a longtime silverstar fan. even tested them against my friend's PIAA high and low beams. in both cases the silverstars were both whiter AND brighter. i don't know if i'd get any bulb with a blue tint for my high/lows personally... i want complete white and no blue whatsoever, and that's what i got.

I didn't have as good of a result with Silverstars. I installed them in my friends Acura 3.2TL (99 model) and they still looked yellowish. Actually they looked identical to her stock bulbs. Kinda disapointing because of the increase in price.
Old 10-18-05, 09:54 PM
kietlander
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts

brand? pics?

Quick Reply: New headlight bulbs!