Lighting A place to ask questions about HIDs & other Lexus lights

Need some help with my HID kit Please>>>>>

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-05, 06:19 PM
Agent$mith
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Need some help with my HID kit Please>>>>>

I just installed a Philips 6k HID kit that I bought from someone. I'm having problem with the passenger side HID light. The driver's side works fine and comes on. The passenger side sometimes come on and other times, don't come on at all. You can see the passenger side trying to come on, but it doesn't. Can someone please help? rominl

Here is what I did. I moved the ground wire from the passenger side and tapped the metal till it sparks and then the light comes on. So then, I screwed it tight. I'm using the screw below the headlight against the metal frame on both sides. The driver side works fine. Also I'm using a 20amp fuse.

I swapped the bulbs and it worked fine on the driver side.

Hopefully I can share my install pics after this problem.

Last edited by Agent$mith; 10-23-05 at 06:56 PM.
Old 10-23-05, 10:14 PM
vicestan
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You have a bad ground on your headlight harness, or that ballast is soon nearing its end. Never change headlight fuses or any other fuses in the car past its original amprage. Buy a new wirring harness that uses an 8 guage primary wire. then Run clean grounds to the chassy and your problem will go away only ofcourse if the problem is with the grounding. Most likely its a bad ballast and will soon die. Hope this helps.
Old 10-24-05, 09:16 AM
Agent$mith
Intermediate

Viestan,
I hope you're right about the ground. I don't want it to be the ballast. I'm using the factory harness that came with the philips kit. It comes on 3/4 times on the passenger side. I mounted the 2 ballasts behind the crash bar. When I turn on the headlight when the passenger doesn't come on, I see the light bulb trying to ignite but doesn't. Then I try tapping the ground wire against metal till i see sparks and then the headlight comes on. Where is a good spot on the passenger side engine bay to put the ground to?

Thanks,
Johnny

Originally Posted by vicestan
You have a bad ground on your headlight harness, or that ballast is soon nearing its end. Never change headlight fuses or any other fuses in the car past its original amprage. Buy a new wirring harness that uses an 8 guage primary wire. then Run clean grounds to the chassy and your problem will go away only ofcourse if the problem is with the grounding. Most likely its a bad ballast and will soon die. Hope this helps.
Old 10-24-05, 11:26 AM
vicestan
Lead Lap

Sounds like your harness ground is mounted on a bad grounding point, did you use oe grounding points? or did you just screw it to any screw?. Also if the ground connection is good then the ground wire itself might be bad. Don't touch the ground body untill it sparks ever again, not only can you damage or completly kill your ballast but you might also cause damage to the cars electrical system. When a light bulb flashes and looks like its trying to light up that means its not getting enough power, hence why it powers up fine when you connect the ground directly to the body.

I suggest you take at least 12guage wire and connect it from the ballast ground to a clean chassy ground. This should solve the current problem.
Old 10-24-05, 01:05 PM
Agent$mith
Intermediate

Originally Posted by vicestan
Sounds like your harness ground is mounted on a bad grounding point, did you use oe grounding points? or did you just screw it to any screw?. Also if the ground connection is good then the ground wire itself might be bad. Don't touch the ground body untill it sparks ever again, not only can you damage or completly kill your ballast but you might also cause damage to the cars electrical system. When a light bulb flashes and looks like its trying to light up that means its not getting enough power, hence why it powers up fine when you connect the ground directly to the body.

I suggest you take at least 12guage wire and connect it from the ballast ground to a clean chassy ground. This should solve the current problem.
Oh I hope it's the grounding wire. Please be the ground wire. I hooked it to the screw that the headlight uses to screw to the frame. Ok. I won't do that again. I will find some wire and route it to the engine bay and see what happens.
Old 10-24-05, 04:14 PM
vicestan
Lead Lap

The headlight screw is a bad position for the ground wire because there is minimal contact with the actually metal surface. If you look at that front bar which the headlight is attached to its painted black, you have to use a ground point which is directly connected to the chassy of the car.