Lighting A place to ask questions about HIDs & other Lexus lights

up/down adjustment on GS auto leveling HIDs

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-05, 06:55 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default up/down adjustment on GS auto leveling HIDs

I've searched and found some info, but not clear.......

Since I put on the Teins the front of my car is about a quater inch lower in relation to the rear than before(which is what I wanted)

It seems like the HIDs need to come up just a little. the bubbles are just outside the center of level on headlights.

Here is my understanding, please tell me if I'm right. Wherever the lights are adjusted to via the screw on headlights, that is where the computer levels to. Does it matter if the ignition is on when you adjust the screw?

Is this screw in center of pic the one for up and down adjustment?
thanks
Old 10-26-05, 07:18 PM
Lexy GS430
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good question chuck can anyone chime on this please!
Old 10-27-05, 03:07 PM
VVT-i
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes, that little 8mm screw is for the up. You can adjust it with the key off, but make sure you find a good level pavement.

The auto leveling function got the signal from sensors located on the front and rear lower control arms. Those sensors send the signal to HID ECU to adjust the headlight up or down while you're driving. The sensors measure the load of the vehicle, the braking, the Yaw rate sensor which measure the turns, up or down hills etc.... That's was what Lexus means of auto leveling while you're driving and trying to keep head light as level as posible.
Old 10-27-05, 04:50 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by VVT-i
Yes, that little 8mm screw is for the up. You can adjust it with the key off, but make sure you find a good level pavement.

The auto leveling function got the signal from sensors located on the front and rear lower control arms. Those sensors send the signal to HID ECU to adjust the headlight up or down while you're driving. The sensors measure the load of the vehicle, the braking, the Yaw rate sensor which measure the turns, up or down hills etc.... That's was what Lexus means of auto leveling while you're driving and trying to keep head light as level as posible.
thanks VVT-i
Old 10-27-05, 10:53 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

hehe vvti is a master tech, what else can i say
Old 10-29-05, 09:31 PM
DetMich1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by VVT-i

VVT-i, where is the ECU or computer for each self-leveling HID headlight located and what does it look like? Can you access it for removal without taking the headlights out of the car? I am trying to trouble shoot a single headlight that does not self-level. The other one works fine. I have a replacement leveling motor in case I need it.
Old 11-02-05, 02:23 AM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by DetMich1
VVT-i, where is the ECU or computer for each self-leveling HID headlight located and what does it look like? Can you access it for removal without taking the headlights out of the car? I am trying to trouble shoot a single headlight that does not self-level. The other one works fine. I have a replacement leveling motor in case I need it.
The main computer in the LS is behind the glove box, but if your talking about the leveling motor itself, then its on the backside headlight. You might be able to check connections without removing the headlights, but to really do any checking, its wise to remove the entire assembly.