Lighting A place to ask questions about HIDs & other Lexus lights

Anyone here used 8000k Xenons?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-05, 04:22 AM
mjr24
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone here used 8000k Xenons?

Not the cheap bulbs...I mean the actual system? I had the 6000k Phillips Ultinon in my CL500 which were pretty cool...but not as blue/purple as maybe I had hoped. I am thinking of moving to 8k. Anyone have pics of this, etc?
Old 11-07-05, 08:16 AM
tiguy99
Pole Position

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Yes and they sucked so bad I wanted to toss them on the ground but I realised they're worth some money so I avoided them in general. If you want those nice colors you see on BMWS/Acura/Audi/LExus etc, you're going to have to go with some good HID projectors because its the optics that create the colors. Kinda like a prism effect. Look at these pic here.

See that thin band of blue above the cuttoff line (in the center)

It looks like this to you when this car is in your rearview mirror)

My friend I'm afraid the only way you're going to get good amount of HID usable light and keeping the nice cuttoff colors intact if to go HID retrofit. When you start putting in HID bulbs with color temperatures above 6000K you loose the amount of light that actually gets put out. 8000K produces less light than halogen bulb. Read the sticky that says HID bulb color bananza (something like that) Why would you want to go that route?
Old 11-08-05, 11:06 PM
Celsius
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So to get that effect, you need the projectors with a OEM (4300K) Bulb or what temp bulb?
Old 11-08-05, 11:38 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

correct, with projectors and the right optic setup (some people can tweak them for you), you will get the flickering even with the stock 4300 bulbs
Old 11-09-05, 12:07 AM
mjr24
Lexus Test Driver

To be honest, I experimented. I got the 12000k bulbs (mind you, remember, I have HID stock) and the color is really nice. It is not any more purple than say a BMW or Audi. It is not obnoxiously bright, probably because I do have the stock HID as opposed to retrofitting a HID kit into a non-stock HID car. Maybe it is me, but it seemed I could see the road better with these lights. It even was raining tonight and it seemed I could see the road better with a wet surface (when the true drop in light is supposed to be really noticeable with higher temp. bulbs) than my normal 4300k or the 6000k I had before.
Old 11-09-05, 01:14 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

by pure physics there is no way you can have more usable light with 12000k, simply coz' at 4300k it has the most usable light, and the higher you go, the bluer the *whole* color is and the dimmer it is

the reason why you feel it's brighter is due to glare. at 12000k, the wavelength of the light emitted by the hid is very different from 4300k. keep in mind the reflective housing are precisely designed for the 4300k hid, so they expect certain wavelength. with such *OFF* wavelengh light, light start to go in different directions and started to create the glare, which is bad for oncoming traffic as well.

and again the "purple" you talk about on bmw or audi or the s2000, it's just a flickering. if you pay more attention, the color only happens on certain angle. you don't see it as purple all the time as oppose to 8000k or 12000k hid.

if you look at the pics poted up by tiguy99, look at the "edge" of the light spectrum. see all those blue/puple area? those are the color you referring to in your post. those are the flickering. other than those area, the other areas are all bright white, as opposed to 12000k where those area would be all blue and dim
Old 11-09-05, 06:30 AM
mjr24
Lexus Test Driver

I had a friend drive my car and the glare was no more than it would be on a normal car with HID's. I personally did not find it any worse than an Audi or S2000 when it does flicker.

I am not saying the light output is higher, as you said, it is not possible. I am just saying if there is any loss of light in terms of seeing the road, etc., it is not as much as alot of people make it out to be. I don't think alot of these people who claim that have actually ever used a 12k in a stock-HID system car.
Old 11-09-05, 06:59 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 96 Likes on 88 Posts

MISCONCEPTIONS

There are many companies and private merchants out there that will advertise 7000K, 8000K, and even 12000K HID kits. Most of these vendors lurk around on ebay, online car forums, websites, and ricer accessory shops. 100% of the people that buy these kits do so because they are uninformed, uneducated, or misguided in the field of lighting, and will buy these junk kits thinking three things: that these bulbs are brighter, that these bulbs should cost more money, and/or that they will perform better. All three statements are completely false. Perhaps this misconception and frenzy for purple lights originates from BMW and Audi's infamous Hella projector HIDs.

So allow me to explain the real truth of the matter... Philips is the number one manufacturer of HID bulbs. The Philips OEM D2S bulb is rated at 4100K at 12.8 volts and produces 3200 lumens of light. The Philips Ultinon D2S is 5800K at 12.8 volts and produces 2400 lumens of light. As you can see, with all other factors remaining constant, the brightness of an HID bulb declines the higher up the color index you go. Vision, a Korean bulb manufacturer, makes an 8000K bulb, which they used to advertise on Acura-Forums as 2000 lumens bright. This is barely a marked improvement over halogens, and will produce more glare and eye fatigue than it is beneficial. 4100K has been proven through tireless independent research by the Germans, Japanese, and Americans to be the most functional, truest white and thus the brightest possible color temperature (ceteris paribus).

Every car manufacturer in the world (including BMW and Audi) uses none other than a standard 4100K gas-discharge bulb. No exceptions. The reason being is that 4100K is daylight white in color and produces the same color visible light as direct sunlight. This is least fatiguing functional color on the eyes and produces the most comfortable contrast on the road.

So the million dollar question is now: Why do BMW & Audi lights appear blue when they use a white bulb?

Well, this coloration is the result of the light projectors; the lenses: it's transparency, it's curvature, the tiny grooves etched into it; the projector assembly, the shield, and the reflector bowl. All these components work together to produce a signature of light unique to that particular optic's design. On the Audi and BMW projectors, the lens curvature at the edge bends the white light producing a "prism effect". White light is broken down to it's fundemental colors. Since blue lights is high energy, it is absorbed last and thus travels farther. So with this prism effect, you'll notice that BMW HIDs are only purple and blue from the sides, the top, and the bottom edges, but are always daylight white on the road and in the beam pattern. This phenomenon can be demonstrated when you watch an oncoming BMW hit a pot hole or speed bump in the road and the car's nose pitches up and down. The headlights will flicker and "throw colors off", but returns to a solid white beam pattern directly on the road.

Trying to emulate this color-flickering effect with a solid-state blue or purple bulb is only detrimental to lighting performance, it doesn't fool anyone, but most importantly it endangers other motorists around you. Blue light has what we call a very high diffuse density, which causes it to radiate outwards as opposed to forwards. What results is a wide glow of light outside the beam pattern that is blinding to motorists you share the road with. A blue HID bulb will produce color bleed around the headlight, around the objects it lights up, outside of the beam pattern, and around the cut off line. This is effect is known as "glare", and these illegal and improperly installed HID kits are the reason why HIDs get a bad wrap. As common evidence of glare, observe a traffic light at night in a dimly lit area. There is red light and green light. Red is opposite blue and green is next to blue, thus we can substitute green for blue. If you observe the aura, or glow, of light around a red light and compare it to that of a green light, you'll notice that the green light produces much more glare than red. Blue is even worse. Purple, the worst.
from http://www.intellexual.net/hid.html

simplest way to put it, ur attempting to emulate the BMW/Audio projectors. BUT, have you ever noticed that while said cars will seem blue/purplish to ur eyes, that the light ON THE ROAD is pure daytime white. whereas YOURS, will be violently purple.
Old 11-09-05, 07:38 AM
tiguy99
Pole Position

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Lightbulb

Best way to put it is to pull it up side by side with an OEM equppied car with HID projectors and even reflectors and you'll quickly see the difference. Owned doesn't even come close. Try pulling up to an S2000 Honda with HIDs on side by side with your 8Ks and you'll quickly see the difference and then when you drive off, you'll be even madder when the car behind you with factory 4300K HID bulbs flickers with violet colors 8K-12 gazillionK can only dream of.
My 0.02

Check out www.hidplanet.com/forums section and take a look at some of the guy's pics there and make a decision. I'm not knocking you but understand the main thing most of us learned the hard way. I'm trying to save you some grief and $$$$ here. I

f you're still satisfied after learning the truth behind those bulbs then by all means jump in head first. Also keep in mind, Phillips and Osram (the world's leading manufacturers of HID bulbs) are the only bulbs ALL vehicle manufacturers use and warrant their bulbs to at least 3 years. These guys ONLY make 4300K , 5000K (for replacement of ONE burnt out bulb) and 6000K (for offroad use). Anything else above that is made by off brand Taiwan manufacturers whos bulbs last about a year at best.

Now take all of that in and go with what's in your gut