Notices
Lighting A place to ask questions about HIDs & other Lexus lights
View Poll Results: HID: Plug and Play OR Retrofit?
Plug and Play
48.21%
Retrofit
51.79%
Voters: 195. You may not vote on this poll

HID Poll. Retrofit or Plug and Play

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-08, 07:20 AM
IvoryGT
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

surprising to see people still split between plug and play and retrofit.
Old 03-11-08, 03:18 PM
labtec
Driver

Originally Posted by IvoryGT
surprising to see people still split between plug and play and retrofit.
my plan was to just get plug and plays and then if I don't like the cut-off, I'll just pick up some TSX projectors...no loss
Old 03-11-08, 04:08 PM
aka paco
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I've have both.

I had a integra gsr come stock with projectors (halogen) much like the SC, had a mculloch 6k, i liked it, seemed fine to me.

Eventually i came across a deal on a full TSX setup, so i did a retro fit, and went to the oem 4300k's.. what a freaking difference, it's not even the same thing, not even close. anyways to make a long story short i sold my teg now i have a SC and i missed having HID's but didn't want to go through the hassle of a retrofit right now, i bought a 5k hid kit for the SC, I HATE IT!!!! i'm doing another retrofit ASAP, the light output is just horrible compared to a retro, i definetly shouldn't have wasted my $$$ on another kit, lesson learned, don't cheap out, do it right the first time you'll never regret it.
Old 03-12-08, 02:40 AM
Lexinton
Driver

I own a 93 GS and currently have a 6000K HID kit with the factory projectors. The output and lighting look decent, but every time I see a TSX or TL and I see the colour and the cutoff lines I get miffed that mine don't even compare...with that being said, I was recently given a pair of Audi TT/BMW E46 projectors and was wondering if anyone has used these projectors and if I should use these or swap for something else as the aforementioned TSX/TL.

Also...has anyone swaped projectors, but used aftermarket bulbs that had a higher kelvin rating (greater then 4300K). Any pics?
Old 03-12-08, 07:31 AM
sirCharles
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

PnP on a Lexus, nuff said.
Old 03-12-08, 10:37 AM
IvoryGT
Driver School Candidate

until you can get a cutoff like this with PnP. stop wasting your money.

Old 03-12-08, 03:20 PM
labtec
Driver

my question: is that type of cut-off possible w/o making the light covers clear ('92 SC4)?
Old 03-12-08, 03:57 PM
mr2tosc4
Lexus Test Driver

i'm also torn between retro fit and pnp. i'm leaning more towards pnp because:

1. i'm concerned about resealing the headlamp and end up getting condensation which is harder to get rid of.

2. i don't have time/resources to fabricate a bracket/housing to fit the hid projector in the stock sc housing.

3. i don't really care for a sharp cutoff, as long as i have a "decent" cutoff and am not producing glare then I can live with it.

anybody else share the same sentiments?
Old 03-12-08, 04:59 PM
JnC
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by labtec
my question: is that type of cut-off possible w/o making the light covers clear ('92 SC4)?
No

Originally Posted by mr2tosc4
i'm also torn between retro fit and pnp. i'm leaning more towards pnp because:

1. i'm concerned about resealing the headlamp and end up getting condensation which is harder to get rid of.

2. i don't have time/resources to fabricate a bracket/housing to fit the hid projector in the stock sc housing.

3. i don't really care for a sharp cutoff, as long as i have a "decent" cutoff and am not producing glare then I can live with it.

anybody else share the same sentiments?
1. Do your homework right and you wont get that problem.
2. Well then stick with halogen, dont waste your money on PNP even if a kit can be had for as lil as $40 these days.
3. Its just some misinformation if you think that its all about the sharp cut off, the point is to get better illumination at night, cut off and the blue hue is only to get a tad bit of bling factor.

For instance, the LS 430 projectors dont have the sharpest or colorful cut off of the bunch but people choose to install them in their headlights to achieve what the best that the HID world has to offer. Many GS owners with factory HID kit have made the leap as well, I am sure they can chime in with their input.

Here is what the LS430 projector output looks like.

By no means its sharp.

but the following pictures tell you what it can do what no other kit on the planet can do

LS430 in my GS

LS430 in Haknslash's highlander (from HIDplanet and a member here as well)

http://www.haknslash.com/pictures/Hi...ighillshot.jpg

^^ Hi res pic.

LS430 in Zam2000s MB E class

Last edited by JnC; 03-12-08 at 05:07 PM.
Old 03-12-08, 08:34 PM
IvoryGT
Driver School Candidate

^ he speaks truth.
Old 03-12-08, 08:42 PM
emoshun
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^ Look what the cat drug in...glad to have you IGT!
Old 03-12-08, 09:17 PM
SweetS160
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I went the plug and play way on my gs since it was easyer. The glare isn't bad either.
Old 03-12-08, 09:46 PM
IvoryGT
Driver School Candidate

hah, glad to be here. and ^ it's not bad because you are not looking at it.
Old 03-13-08, 08:33 AM
mr2tosc4
Lexus Test Driver

By no means its sharp.
first of all thanks for the pics. that is how my sc's projectors look like already (just the first pic ok) I upgraded to the 2000 headlights last year. not that wide, but it doesn't reach oncoming car's windshields because of the nice cutoffs from the stock projectors (non hid, but at least they are still projectors). Compared to the pics, I'd say my width is 30% less (i won't reach the cat definitely) but wide enough for me. I'm always someone who wants things done right but the tradeoffs (condensation, bracket fabrication, extra $$ vs. $70 pnp) lean towards the pnp kits. Now if I didnt have projectors, I would definitely, 100%, would be doing a retro as there is no way halogen reflector housings and HIDs would not blind oncoming traffic. I think for SC owners, we're lucky enough to have an old car that came with projectors. The cutoffs and light quality are not the same for the pre 2000 model, but if you've recently upgraded to the 2000+ headlamps, I'd say they are decent enough. If I still had my old '93 projectors, I would definitely go retro as I noticed a big difference after i got my new headlamps. When I bought my headlamps last year, I didn't think about going HID yet, I just wanted to replace them because they looked too scuffed, yellowing, rock marks and condensation galore. Now if I stuck with them and didn't spend $550 for a new pair, I'll definitely do a retro and just recondition my lamps and enjoy illuminating the cat which is 30 feet away on the side of the road. I just can't justify spending $1000 ($550 for new headlamps + $450 retrofit) all in all to the budget department head (you know who) just for lighting the road.
Old 04-01-08, 01:47 PM
IvoryGT
Driver School Candidate

people justify things differently for their cars some for go, some for show, but either department easily cost you upwards of thousands for decent or good quality product. Now lighting is not only for show, it is also better performing by a long shot, and the increased safety is given. so with go and show, what's not to justify. I think people just hasn't taken the retrofit too seriously because of the ease of kit install and price. What price is to pay for you and your fellow driver's safety?

Quick Reply: HID Poll. Retrofit or Plug and Play