Lighting A place to ask questions about HIDs & other Lexus lights

Owners input on HID bulb conversion

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-05, 08:17 PM
EUROJulian
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Owners input on HID bulb conversion

Hi there! I`m looking for input on simple HID bulb conversion from actual SC owners. By simple I mean HID conversion with aftermarket xsenone bulbs fitting into 9006 sockets of oryginal SC projectors.
I want to do HID into my car for long time, very long time since project started, finaly I got tired of waiting.
I wanted to do it the "right" way on OEM parts and HID projectors. Unfortunately only one projectors I was able to find over all that time were RX330 ones. (buying parts on the e-bay is not for me, mostly because I`m cheap...) Those are on the large side, too much work to fit them into SC housings, realy do not have heart to cut them up.
After much of thinking I decided to look for other possibilities. I`m thinking aftermarket HID 9006 bulbs, D2 adaptors and my OEM ballasts.
How bulb conversion work for you guys?
Old 12-25-05, 08:29 PM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

If I had the time, know how and patience to do an OEM retrofit I would've but I really can't because I lack all 3

I've got an HID kit in mine. It's made by MTEC with 6000K bulbs... looks nice. They emit a real nice white light and come with everything needed including the ballast holders. For me these will do until I get the courage to do an OEM retrofit.
Attached Thumbnails Owners input on HID bulb conversion-cl-shoot-055.jpg  
Old 12-25-05, 09:10 PM
EUROJulian
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Soarer_25GTT
If I had the time, know how and patience to do an OEM retrofit I would've but I really can't because I lack all 3

I've got an HID kit in mine. It's made by MTEC with 6000K bulbs... looks nice. They emit a real nice white light and come with everything needed including the ballast holders. For me these will do until I get the courage to do an OEM retrofit.

I just really need the 9006 compatibile bulbs, since I have everything else.

Soarer, how does conversion compare to halogens you had before? are you geting negative feedback from incoming drivers?
Old 12-25-05, 09:27 PM
IronCobra
Lexus Champion

I have an Osram HID kit with 4500k rebased 9006 bulbs. I'm using brand new headlight housings, so I also have a crisp cutoff line.

Last edited by IronCobra; 12-26-05 at 08:28 AM.
Old 12-25-05, 09:50 PM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

It's interesting that the later models had a crisper cut-off line. I noticed that too between my old and new Soarers (both with HID kits).

EUROJulian,
I haven't really had much trouble with them. No one has high-beamed me or flashed their lights when mine are on. My stock halogen sucked, I couldn't see anything. If anything the real advantage of the HID's are the way they reflect road signs, lane markings and emergency vehicles. Much better than what my stock Koito halogens could ever muster.

Jose
Old 12-25-05, 10:42 PM
bcp_sc300

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

its all about HID

Old 12-26-05, 04:47 AM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Damn that thing is DUUUUUMPED!
Old 12-26-05, 06:59 AM
EUROJulian
Intermediate

I saw Philips bulbs 9006 compatible, oryginal with D2 connectors for sale. That is the last straw I think, OEM bulbs. They had side by side pic of both 9006 bulbs, halogen and HID, light element appeared to be placed in the same spot. I gues I`m redy to buy it.

It is interesting what you guys say about new and old projectors in SC, I took bunch of them appart and never noticed difference (proly because I didn`t looked for it or all those were "old"...) Many though had corroded parabolic mirrors, wonder if that may be it....

So when "new" type starts, what model year?

Last edited by EUROJulian; 12-26-05 at 07:19 AM.
Old 12-26-05, 08:26 AM
IronCobra
Lexus Champion

here is a whole thread on the newer headlights
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ight=headlight
Old 12-26-05, 10:17 AM
racinstyle
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post

I know what I will be ordering for my car after the new year
Old 12-26-05, 11:56 AM
EUROJulian
Intermediate

Originally Posted by IronCobra
here is a whole thread on the newer headlights
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ight=headlight
Ding! Thank you cobra. I missed that thread, thank you for the linkie. It all together sound like mature project now, worth the money
Old 12-26-05, 09:10 PM
sc400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi,
Now that I've had my Philips 6000K HID kit for more than a year let me offer some qualitative observations. The HID kit is definitely brighter than anything non-HID. But since the SC's headlights weren't designed for a HID-type, namely its reflector and other parts aren't up to the task, its total light output is only a fraction of the real HID. Last night I drove my father's 2004 LS430 and oh my, its HID is bright! The total light output is amazing. For someone who have been driving with HID lights I thought I turned on the highbeams!
My sugestion? Try a non-HID replacement bulbs like Silverstar or whatever first to see if you like it because with $550 for a HID kit you're not getting your money worth. I'd say its light output is about 40% of the real HID. If you really want HID then get the whole headlamp replacements, not just the bulbs.

James
Old 12-26-05, 09:32 PM
IronCobra
Lexus Champion

my Philips 6000K HID kit for more than a year let me offer some qualitative observations

6000k wouldn't be as bright anyways.. The Color temp is too high.

The HID kit is definitely brighter than anything non-HID. But since the SC's headlights weren't designed for a HID-type, namely its reflector and other parts aren't up to the task, its total light output is only a fraction of the real HID.
I would have to disagree with you here. My 97+ headlights are just as bright as Audi and BMW Hids. I can even eclipse many of them when I pass them on the road. You are using the older style and therefore are getting a different output on the road. I guess you would be correct if you are only refering to 92-96 headlights and 97+ headlights that were made before 2000

Last night I drove my father's 2004 LS430 and oh my, its HID is bright! The total light output is amazing. For someone who have been driving with HID lights I thought I turned on the highbeams!
This is because the 04+ LS430 has some of the brightest HIDs on the market. And the Widest beam. You would be hard pressed to find anything outside of a Infiniti Q45 with brighter lights than a new LS430.

My sugestion? Try a non-HID replacement bulbs like Silverstar or whatever first to see if you like it because with $550 for a HID kit you're not getting your money worth. I'd say its light output is about 40% of the real HID. If you really want HID then get the whole headlamp replacements, not just the bulb
I Totally disagree with this statement unless you are using pre 97+ headlights manufactured BEFORE 2000.

My output is AWESOME! and I am using brand new headlight housings with an Osram HID kit at 4500k bulbs.
Old 12-27-05, 05:31 PM
EUROJulian
Intermediate

Originally Posted by sc400
Hi,
My sugestion? Try a non-HID replacement bulbs like Silverstar or whatever first to see if you like it because with $550 for a HID kit you're not getting your money worth. I'd say its light output is about 40% of the real HID. If you really want HID then get the whole headlamp replacements, not just the bulbs.

James
I already have PIAAs and I had rebild my headlight, so mirrors are good, so my lights are OK, I just want HIDs.
Money wise I`m not spending that much, I just need Phillips bulbs, they go for $100 for a pair.
I may buy left headlight, right is alredy new, that additional $220

As for LS430, that is really expensive vehicle with humongous lights you choose to compare ageinst. I still have set of projectors from RX330, I may build "foglights" or something out of them. That would be a LS killer
Old 12-27-05, 08:43 PM
sc400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by IronCobra

6000k wouldn't be as bright anyways.. The Color temp is too high.

I would have to disagree with you here. My 97+ headlights are just as bright as Audi and BMW Hids. I can even eclipse many of them when I pass them on the road. You are using the older style and therefore are getting a different output on the road. I guess you would be correct if you are only refering to 92-96 headlights and 97+ headlights that were made before 2000

This is because the 04+ LS430 has some of the brightest HIDs on the market. And the Widest beam. You would be hard pressed to find anything outside of a Infiniti Q45 with brighter lights than a new LS430.

I Totally disagree with this statement unless you are using pre 97+ headlights manufactured BEFORE 2000.

My output is AWESOME! and I am using brand new headlight housings with an Osram HID kit at 4500k bulbs.
If you had read my post carefully you'd notice that I didn't claim to speak for the entire SC family.
My comparison is based on my 96 SC400 with Philips 6000K HID.
Didn't know that Lexus made a HID projector headlights for the SC. Perhaps I'll find one of those to try out.

Quick Reply: Owners input on HID bulb conversion