Search this Thread

Old 12-25-05, 08:57 PM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts
Default HID Problem, please help.

Hello everybody..

I am new here and my English is not that good, please go easy on me
(Sorry for the long post guys, but this problem i have is very strange)

Anyways the reason I actually decided to join this forum is because of my HID lights problem that I have been having since the August, when I first installed them.

I did not buy the expensive Hella/Phillips, instead I got the HID kit which was about $250. Like any other kit it came with two ballasts boxes and two 9006 bulbs.

Now here is my problem.

For some particular reason, my left HID ballast (driver side) is refusing to work properly. When I first got them installed they work fine for about two weeks. Then after, when I was starting the car, the right one (passenger side) lights up with no problem but the left one does not, not even blinking or anything. At the shop I've been told that the left ballast was defected. So, I went and replaced it.

I installed the new kit. It worked for two weeks then the same problem occured. So, to make my story shorter. I have replaced 6 ballast boxes already and all of them die after two weeks. Note, it only happens with the driver side headlight. The passenger was never replaced. Also, I was concerned that the car might give different voltage which could probably fry the ballast but at the shop I was told that it was impossible, the car cannot give such high voltage, even if it does the ballast should be able to reduce it to 12V.

Original fuses were replaced too.

What can it be ?

( I have 2001 Lexus GS300 )
Old 12-26-05, 09:23 AM
tiguy99
Pole Position

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

First of all, welcome to clublexus! You're gonna love it here! Now when it comes to the HID kit you have now, just drop it as fast as possible. This is what happens when you don't buy the right one (Kit that uses Philips/OSRAM components). You'll lose the headache when you lose this current kit. You can also go HID retrofit and have the best of all worlds. Let me know if you're interested in learning more about that.

If you search here, I've helped several folks get setup with correct HID lighting and I'm also currently finishing a GS430 project which is going to be the mother of all GS430 retrofits seen here or anywhere.