Lighting A place to ask questions about HIDs & other Lexus lights

SC400 HID conversion done, one bugger.

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-06, 05:45 PM
EUROJulian
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default SC400 HID conversion done, one bugger.

I just come back from shop where I was doing my HIDs. Some impressions to share.

As you know from previous post I decided to convert oryginal new generation SC headlights with Phillips D2 bulbs 9006 based and IS ballasts.

I got new generation headlight for $250 out the door, and $106 9006 based Phillips D2 bulbs on ebay.

Bulbs are remanufactured to accomodate sleeve with 9006 mounting tabs. It even come with "o"-ring, unfortunately O-ring groove was not deep enough and I had to remove o-ring in order to fit bulb into projector. Job appear well done on the bulbs and fit was OK.

I run into first problem after instaling bulbs. D2 connectors from ballasts would not go all the way in. Projector`s bulb holding ring was on the way. I had to remove it from each headlight and ground down. Connector worked ok after that.

Cut off line is well defined, I have problem though. There is one reflex from left projector well above cutoff line. It is rather small and shoots to the second story at 50 yds or so. Anybody runned into something similar? Bulb position?....

I didin`t have time today to investigate any further. Beside reflex problem I still have to fabricate brackets for ballasts.

I took it for test drive and it is amazing how well those HID lights works, well worthed money and effort.
Old 01-20-06, 06:00 PM
IronCobra
Lexus Champion

I'm not quite sure if you are referring to the little bit of light that reflects through the little whole in the shield.
Old 01-20-06, 06:39 PM
EUROJulian
Intermediate

Originally Posted by IronCobra
I'm not quite sure if you are referring to the little bit of light that reflects through the little whole in the shield.

I noticed the squary hole in the shield . I wonder what it is for?

So you also have it, I was wondering if this cause any problems to incoming drivers........ specialy troopers
Old 01-20-06, 10:08 PM
IronCobra
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by EUROJulian
I noticed the squary hole in the shield . I wonder what it is for?

So you also have it, I was wondering if this cause any problems to incoming drivers........ specialy troopers
Yes, everyone has it. and NO it doesn't cause any problems.. It aims so high into the air it would probably cause more of a problem to aircraft than cars

I have no idea on earth why it is there or even why that tab on the top is there

Check out my post that shows what happens when I removed that tab and covered the hole by installing my own shield.