Notices
Lighting A place to ask questions about HIDs & other Lexus lights

best BRIGHT YELLOW 9006 to use in fogs on my GS4?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-06, 08:22 AM
upstateGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default best BRIGHT YELLOW 9006 to use in fogs on my GS4?

i just picked up a set of the newer fogs with the yellow inside...i have a set of clear fogs on the gs400 now (they will be up for sale if anyone is interested as soon as the new ones show up) currently i have the sylvania silverstar or silver vision 9006s whatever theyre called in the fogs and they are pretty bright...id like to get something real bright yellow to go in the new fogs though and was just looking for suggestions and maybe some pics if anyone has them.. i know the housing it self would make my current bulbs look yellow but i was looking for something more than that..
Old 01-26-06, 08:46 AM
tcheung87
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

So eventually what you want is some sort of very deep and extreme yellow ? Sounds hot, I'd recommend PIAA Ion Crystals/Yellow in HB, since I don't think they have them specifically for 9006 or 9005. Anyway they're probably the best in light output, color, and lifespan of all yellow bulbs, and I plan on installing some for my own fogs too.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...light=piaa+ion

link to RX forum where someone has the bulbs in RX fogs, it's behind clear lens though so I guess it'll only half help... =\

-tc
Old 01-26-06, 09:10 AM
upstateGS4
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by tcheung87
So eventually what you want is some sort of very deep and extreme yellow ? Sounds hot, I'd recommend PIAA Ion Crystals/Yellow in HB, since I don't think they have them specifically for 9006 or 9005. Anyway they're probably the best in light output, color, and lifespan of all yellow bulbs, and I plan on installing some for my own fogs too.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...light=piaa+ion

link to RX forum where someone has the bulbs in RX fogs, it's behind clear lens though so I guess it'll only half help... =\

-tc

sorry the the dumb question but if i cant get them in 9006....whats the "HB"? i didnt wanna have to swap any wiring or connectors or anything like that...
Old 01-26-06, 12:51 PM
LexAnt
Lexus Champion

not going for the philips 3000K anymore?
Old 01-26-06, 04:38 PM
upstateGS4
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LexAnt
not going for the philips 3000K anymore?

i would like to down the line..ill still use the fogs with the yellow in them with the 3k hid..but for right now im just throwing these new fogs in and selling the clears... the kit for the 3k from xd.com is $480..so maybe in a few weeks after i take care of some other stuff
Old 01-26-06, 05:25 PM
tcheung87
Lexus Test Driver

HB is the equivalent of both 9005 and 9006 sized bulbs. In Japan (and possibly other countries) they HB3 is 9005 and HB4 is 9006, they are perfect fits for each other, except when a bulb is listed as just HB then it will fit either 9005/9006 socket, only thing is that you insert a small ring that comes wtih the package of bulbs to alternate. I believe if you want 9005 then you stick in the little ring and then plug into 9005 socket, and if you want 9006 then you have to do nothing to the bulb.

-tc
Old 01-30-06, 10:48 AM
GSquicksilver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

have anyone ever used these?

http://www.automotivelightingusa.com...roducts_id=465
Old 01-30-06, 11:32 AM
upstateGS4
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GSquicksilver

im interested to hear if anyones used these or has pics of them in use..they seem pretty decent from the description,...but u never know...
Old 01-30-06, 02:24 PM
DetMich1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by upstateGS4
i just picked up a set of the newer fogs with the yellow inside...i have a set of clear fogs on the gs400 now (they will be up for sale if anyone is interested as soon as the new ones show up) currently i have the sylvania silverstar or silver vision 9006s whatever theyre called in the fogs and they are pretty bright...id like to get something real bright yellow to go in the new fogs though and was just looking for suggestions and maybe some pics if anyone has them.. i know the housing it self would make my current bulbs look yellow but i was looking for something more than that..
Just to be precise, the yellow tint fog light housing for the GS is not "newer" as it was available beginning in 1998 with the 1st year of the 2nd Gen GS. It came as standard OEM with cars that had HID headlights from the factory. This was an option until around 2002 or so when HID became standard issue. This in turn may have led to the idea that the yellow fogs were "newer". If you install a 2500-3000K bulb behind the yellow filter of your new fogs I don't think you will get the effect you're looking for. You will end up with much less brightness, kinda like putting a red bulb in a red taillight housing. You might try putting the JDM yellow bulb in your current fogs first before changing out the housings and then compare that to a white bulb in the yellow housing to see which one is closer to what you are going after. The PIAA, PolarG or Luminics are all possible choices. PIAAs are usually the most expensive alternative.
http://www.automotivelightingusa.com...roducts_id=979
Old 01-30-06, 02:36 PM
upstateGS4
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by DetMich1
Just to be precise, the yellow tint fog light housing for the GS is not "newer" as it was available beginning in 1998 with the 1st year of the 2nd Gen GS. It came as standard OEM with cars that had HID headlights from the factory. This was an option until around 2002 or so when HID became standard issue. This in turn may have led to the idea that the yellow fogs were "newer". If you install a 2500-3000K bulb behind the yellow filter of your new fogs I don't think you will get the effect you're looking for. You will end up with much less brightness, kinda like putting a red bulb in a red taillight housing. You might try putting the JDM yellow bulb in your current fogs first before changing out the housings and then compare that to a white bulb in the yellow housing to see which one is closer to what you are going after. The PIAA, PolarG or Luminics are all possible choices. PIAAs are usually the most expensive alternative.
http://www.automotivelightingusa.com...roducts_id=979

when i said newer, i meant from a newer gs then mine, which is a 98...these came of like an 03 i believe...they are the clear ones with the yellow filter inside the housing... u think these "newer" ones i just got will be less "yellow looking" with the yellow bulb then the clear housing with the yellow bulb? it doesnt really matter to me i have both sets i guess ill just have to see what looks best and sell what i dont want to keep.
Old 01-30-06, 03:07 PM
DetMich1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by upstateGS4
when i said newer, i meant from a newer gs then mine, which is a 98...these came of like an 03 i believe...they are the clear ones with the yellow filter inside the housing... u think these "newer" ones i just got will be less "yellow looking" with the yellow bulb then the clear housing with the yellow bulb? it doesnt really matter to me i have both sets i guess ill just have to see what looks best and sell what i dont want to keep.
Ok, I understand you meant newer in the sense that these used fog light housings are 5 years newer than the ones on your GS. If you buy a new set of yellow fogs from the Lexus dealer ($218/pair from Sewell Lexus) they are the same part no. for any year GS from 1998 - 2005. I didn't say they would be less "yellow looking" but I do think you will find them to have less light output when fitted with a yellow bulb as compared to how they would look with a white bulb. Since you will have both clear and yellow housings and plan on buying yellow ion bulbs, I suggest you try the new bulb in your current clear housing first. You may find you like the look of that combination better than either white bulb/yellow housing or yellow bulb/yellow housing. Try the 3 differernt combinations to see which you like the best. But, yellow/yellow will be the dimmest of the 3. Also, I recommend you get a plastic polish and use a buffer to shine the lens on both sets of used fog lights to insure that you get the maximum light transmission possible from them.
Old 02-11-06, 06:41 AM
TANGO
Driver School Candidate

Smile Yellow Bulb in Clear Casing

Hello All, very interesting discussion about fog lights. I just purchased a 2006 ES and now interested in replacing the factory "faint-yellow" halogen fog bulb with a "stronger-yellow" halogen bulb.

A few questions:

tcheung87: Thanks for putting up the link to the RX example. Is that fog housing on the RX a "clear" cover or does it have "yellow tint inside the housing. Overall, I think it looks very good!

DetMich: thanks for the comments on yellow bulb in factory housing. I was wondering if you have any picture/understand of other people who have done this in the past? I wanted to see more examples if available.

upstateGS4: If you are trying the different options, please let us know how it went and post pics if possible. I am in the same position and want to create "yellow" fog lights look on my lexus too.

Last question: will higher wattage bulbs (although i have not seen much for H3 other than 55w), improve output and any concern to burn out the wiring and fuse?
Old 02-11-06, 08:13 AM
tcheung87
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TANGO
Hello All, very interesting discussion about fog lights. I just purchased a 2006 ES and now interested in replacing the factory "faint-yellow" halogen fog bulb with a "stronger-yellow" halogen bulb.

A few questions:

tcheung87: Thanks for putting up the link to the RX example. Is that fog housing on the RX a "clear" cover or does it have "yellow tint inside the housing. Overall, I think it looks very good!

DetMich: thanks for the comments on yellow bulb in factory housing. I was wondering if you have any picture/understand of other people who have done this in the past? I wanted to see more examples if available.

upstateGS4: If you are trying the different options, please let us know how it went and post pics if possible. I am in the same position and want to create "yellow" fog lights look on my lexus too.

Last question: will higher wattage bulbs (although i have not seen much for H3 other than 55w), improve output and any concern to burn out the wiring and fuse?
Yes the RX300 foglamps have a clear lens similar to the clear lens of other Lexus models without the yellow housing. Yea I really want to change to yellow foglamp bulbs but the RX engine bay around that area is a tight fit, so I'm working on it.

-tc
Old 02-22-06, 07:54 PM
THE_CEO
Pole Position

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts

so did we ever get and answer to this question?

CEO
Old 02-22-06, 08:23 PM
tcheung87
Lexus Test Driver

I put the PIAA Ion Yellows in my fogs and they're pretty good, I'm quite pleased with my purchase. They cover about the same area in terms of light coverage, but output is excellent, the yellow is very deep and vibrant, it looks great also.

-tc
Attached Thumbnails best BRIGHT YELLOW 9006 to use in fogs on my GS4?-p2170003.jpg  

Quick Reply: best BRIGHT YELLOW 9006 to use in fogs on my GS4?