Lighting A place to ask questions about HIDs & other Lexus lights

HID conversion

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-06, 05:05 PM
b1ackhawk
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mikeloc24
I feel ya man, trust me I do. That's why we say "search throughly first" instead of starting a new thread. By starting a new thread it became 501 threads people will have to skim through for answers on HID issues, and we're trying to cut down on that. Please understand.

As for anyone saying something that you feel isn't helpful, just try your best to ignore it and not inflame the situation by responding to the poster. Threads tend to stay better on track that way. In any case, you're always free to pm me or anyone else you choose should you have a question that you're unable to find an answer for. My mailbox is open for you should you choose to contact me. Be safe fellas.

-Mike
Thanks for the understanding. I did search a few different terms, but its like back when we were in school, you could read the text book 1000 times and not get it, but when you ask somebody else who can explain it to you in your own words you catch on right away.
Old 02-09-06, 05:10 PM
LexAnt
Lexus Champion

only want to clarify, philips does not make conversion kits. the kits are just rebased philips bulbs. philips did not rebase them, most likely the vendor did. so when people say buy a philips conversion kit, they mean buy philips components, ie bulb, ballasts, etc. also, in regards to gettin a 9005 over a 9006, it makes no difference when it comes to HID. They are in effect the same bulb just that their bases were modified to 9005 or 9006. In terms of regular halogen bulbs then yes it would make a difference but not in terms of HIDs.
Old 02-09-06, 05:29 PM
newyorksc
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

you can use your stock projectors

read this:

http://www.intellexual.net/hid.html

and you can buy quality products from here

http://www.autolamps-online.com/index.htm
Old 02-09-06, 09:08 PM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

I've got a simple plug-n-play HID kit in my car simply because I'm too scared to pull apart the lights to do a retrofit and the actual retrofit parts are hard to come by here. Does the job (until I get brave enough to muck about with the headlights). I've also noticed that the cut off line is defined compared to the ones on my older (1993 model) Soarer.

Old 02-10-06, 07:10 AM
Batmobile
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

hey by the way... have you guys ever cleaned your headlights? there's a thread out there where it shows you how to take off your headlight step by step and clean it. I recommend this....i did it and now my lights shine GREAT. I also got rid of the condensation build up and it hasn't come back since. Took me six hours by the way for both headlights....was working a little slow but i wanted things to be perfect. Look it up and do it... it'll be worth it
Old 02-14-06, 06:58 PM
cheungsta
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NYLexSC
There are lots of brands of Kits that have been stated, try Xenondepot.com, they are a vendor here I believe. All you need is a brand that offers a HID Kit for the 9006 socket. If you are feeling creative, you can go with 9005 and just modify the bulb, but thats more labor intensive (although the output of light will be better)
Alright, I know that the 9005 bulbs will fit (after you file off that little plastic center notch-thingy), but has anyone had any problems after doing this? I did that for a pair of Sylvania 9005 Silverstars, and they only lasted about three months !! And no, I didn't touch the bulbs...and I did clean them with alcohol swabs before installing them. They worked fine for 3 months, then both burned out within the same week. I have a grounding wire kit and high voltage stabilizer in, but that's the only electrical 'modifications'.

So anyone have problems with doing this 9005 / 9006 mod with the HID kits?? I would prefer the output of the 9005 HID kits, but I don't want them dying on me all quick...
Old 02-14-06, 07:05 PM
LexAnt
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by cheungsta
Alright, I know that the 9005 bulbs will fit (after you file off that little plastic center notch-thingy), but has anyone had any problems after doing this? I did that for a pair of Sylvania 9005 Silverstars, and they only lasted about three months !! And no, I didn't touch the bulbs...and I did clean them with alcohol swabs before installing them. They worked fine for 3 months, then both burned out within the same week. I have a grounding wire kit and high voltage stabilizer in, but that's the only electrical 'modifications'.

So anyone have problems with doing this 9005 / 9006 mod with the HID kits?? I would prefer the output of the 9005 HID kits, but I don't want them dying on me all quick...
Originally Posted by Lexant
also, in regards to gettin a 9005 over a 9006, it makes no difference when it comes to HID. They are in effect the same bulb just that their bases were modified to 9005 or 9006. In terms of regular halogen bulbs then yes it would make a difference but not in terms of HIDs.
9005 hid kit doesn't matter to a 9006 hid kit. all HID bulbs are the same, they use 35W, one will not be brighter than the other. only difference is the base. they are all the same bulb. it matters in the halogen situation because 9005s use 60w i believe and 9006 use 55w.
Old 02-14-06, 07:54 PM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by SC4Hundo
OK, maybe you guys can clarify something for me.
Is it possible to do a HID conversion on the SC with out having to change the projector?
I though you had to do a huge project, replace the projectors and all that crap, but i was reading a site somewhere that made it seem like you could do a hid conversion with just a bulb, ignitor and something else. I know im and idiot when it comes to hid systems and im not talking about crappy bulbs that claim to be hid or xenon, but i took it as a hid system that you could basically "bolt on" to your existing headlight system. Is this possible?
Plug-n-Plays are nice, but tend to scatter the light because the projectors are not really made for HID lighting, but a true conversion is a lot of work, like this one...https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ghlight=sc400t

One cannot deny the excellent results of the true product...

Ryan
Old 02-14-06, 08:08 PM
LexAnt
Lexus Champion

second that notion sc400T.... retrofit is the only way to go

Old 02-15-06, 03:23 PM
cheungsta
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LexAnt
9005 hid kit doesn't matter to a 9006 hid kit. all HID bulbs are the same, they use 35W, one will not be brighter than the other. only difference is the base. they are all the same bulb. it matters in the halogen situation because 9005s use 60w i believe and 9006 use 55w.
*doh*...somehow I missed that post...thanks for re-mentioning it!!
Old 02-16-06, 08:15 PM
donktan
Rookie

Default yep

yep its possible i have a HID kit on my 300 a good brand would b McCulloch thats what i have 8000K all the way~!!!
Old 02-16-06, 08:24 PM
chitwnsazn
Lead Lap

That's strange i didn't have problems with my 9005 conversion with the silverstars
Old 02-16-06, 08:47 PM
b1ackhawk
Intermediate

My buddy's LX470 burns out silverstars every couple of months.