Notices
Lighting A place to ask questions about HIDs & other Lexus lights

98-05 GS interior light fitment

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-07, 11:26 AM
minla007
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

anyone know how to replace the a/c control lights? i have a few buttons (2) that are burnt out and would like to replace it.

not sure if these are called "a/c lights" or "console lights"? tried ot search, but couldnt find anything about them.

please help. thanks!
Old 03-01-07, 01:06 PM
RacingLuxury
Pole Position

I've replaced mine's a twice already. Not a hard job but not the simple either.

I have the Nakamichi stereo system and together with the a/c unit, there are a total of 8 bulbs.

Here are the numbers:

a/c (3 bulbs) 90010-03015

Nakamichi stereo (5 bulbs) 90010-03016

When you buy them it's a clear bulb so you'll have to remove your old green bulb covers to replace it on the new bulbs if you want to keep that green look. Otherwise it'll look yellowish and old. I've been looking for blue covers or better yet LEDs that would replace these but as you know it's not available anywhere! So good luck with replacing your bulbs.

-John
Old 03-01-07, 01:23 PM
minla007
Pole Position

Originally Posted by RacingLuxury
I've replaced mine's a twice already. Not a hard job but not the simple either.

I have the Nakamichi stereo system and together with the a/c unit, there are a total of 8 bulbs.

Here are the numbers:

a/c (3 bulbs) 90010-03015

Nakamichi stereo (5 bulbs) 90010-03016

When you buy them it's a clear bulb so you'll have to remove your old green bulb covers to replace it on the new bulbs if you want to keep that green look. Otherwise it'll look yellowish and old. I've been looking for blue covers or better yet LEDs that would replace these but as you know it's not available anywhere! So good luck with replacing your bulbs.

-John
Thanks for the bulb #'s!

any tips/instructions on how to replace these bulbs? any DIY guide? pix?

the previous owner of my GS changed the ac cluster lights from green to white. i would like to keep them white cuz i think it loooks better. my stereo has been replaecd w/ a sony unit.
Old 03-01-07, 01:51 PM
RacingLuxury
Pole Position

Basically here's the instruction for taking the double unit out.

1. Start the car and put it in drive or some lower gear and push down the emergency brake on the furthest left. And turn off the engine. Also make sure that you're not too much on an inclined surface. This is just preparation for step 3.

2. Remove your top a/c vents by just pulling it straight out with a straight yank but don't pull too hard otherwise you'll break the vents and slowly b/c you'll have to disconnect the clock and hazard light wires.

3. Do the same with your whole ash tray, not just the ash tray itself. Also disconnect the wire. Without the stick shift being moved from PARK, you will have the ash tray unit bumping up on it.

4. With these two parts removed you'll be able to get to the two top screw and two bottom screw, PLUS a small black clip on the lower right side of the ash tray unit. The a/c and stereo unit are braced together so the whole thing has to come out.

5. Carefully disconnect all of the wires and the antenna plug.

6. Now you can put the car back in PARK just so you can go inside to unscrew the unit to get to the bulbs.

7. Be careful not to strip the cable wires while taking apart the stereo unit.

-John
Old 03-01-07, 01:56 PM
minla007
Pole Position

thanks for the tip racingluxury!.....im gonna try it out this weekend...i dont have the stock stereo headunit anymore....it was replaced w/ a sony unit and has a harness kit so that it fits the double din dash.

so once i get the ac cluster removed, how hard is it to replace the bulbs? pretty straight forward? just pull the old ones out and put in new ones?

the 2 buttons that no longer light up on my ac cluster are the "front -defrost" button and the "Auto-Outside/inside air flow" button. you mentioned the ac cluster only takes 3 bulbs total?...so its not 1 bulb per button?

i read somewhere that some soldering was involved, but i think that was for LED replacement....i hope i dont have to do that! doh!

thanks again for your help meng. u da man!
Old 03-01-07, 01:59 PM
RacingLuxury
Pole Position

You'll have to twist out the bulbs with a small flat head screw driver. Counter clockwise I believe. The new bulbs would just twist back on in the opposite direction. Clockwise

Sorry no pics man....
Old 03-01-07, 02:11 PM
minla007
Pole Position

Originally Posted by RacingLuxury
You'll have to twist out the bulbs with a small flat head screw driver. Counter clockwise I believe. The new bulbs would just twist back on in the opposite direction. Clockwise

Sorry no pics man....
cool...no worries about the pix...i think i can get the cluster out....

thanks again for all your help....

do you know if its 1 bulb per button or what? since i only have 2 buttons where the light is burnt out

also, where can i get the bulbs? i tried searching for the bulb # on the sylvania site but no results.
Old 03-01-07, 02:33 PM
RacingLuxury
Pole Position

There are 3 bulbs for the A/C cluster so it's divded evenly across but I'll just go ahead and replace all three bulbs since there might be a brightness difference b/t new and old bulbs.

As for where to get the bulbs, try a toyota dealership. Bring them the bulb as well as the part number. Sometimes it's numbered differently but it's the same part. Or if there's a NAPA car part store, they might have it too. I know for sure Lexus dealerships can get it for you but might be more money.

Oh almost forgot, the wattage on the a/c cluster and original stereo cluster are different that's why I gave you two different numbers.

How do I know this? Well, I thought it was all the same since size wise it is, but when I put the stereo's bulbs in the a/c cluster, it was too dim. So make sure you get the correct bulbs or you'll just have to return it.
Old 10-06-09, 04:00 PM
sleeper408

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

That guide from sylvania is wrong. I'm changing my front turn signals and it said to get a 1156 which is the bayonet style. When I pulled out the burnt out bulb, it's a plug type. What gives?!?! Anybody know the correct one I need?
Old 10-06-09, 05:06 PM
sleeper408

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

OK..... I think Sylvania mixed up the bulb numbers.

Front turn signal = 7440
Rear turn signal = 1156

On their website, they have it the other way around.