Lighting A place to ask questions about HIDs & other Lexus lights

Problem with HID's

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-06, 08:33 PM
carlos
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Problem with HID's

Ok, so I got an h11 8000K Hid conversion kit. the install went ok. I turned them on and the passenger side took a few tries of turing them on and off before it finally turned on. The drivers side worked flawlessly. The following day, I swapped the ballasts. The same thing happened on the passenger side with the other ballast. I even went as far as swapping the bulbs but the problem persisted on the passenger side. Does this pretty much rule out that there is a problem with the ballasts and bulbs? What else can I try? The kit was plug and play... no wire cutting.

For the record, the drivers side works everytime regardless of the ballast and bulb. The passenger side behaves the same way regardless of the ballast and bulb. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-09-06, 09:43 PM
dainese954
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what brand kit did u get?
Old 03-10-06, 04:38 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

The HID ballast pulls several times the power of a standard halogen bulb at startup. If your wiring on one side is bad/old, that may be causing you some problems. For my retrofit, I built a custom relay that draws power directly from the battery with 12GA wire. So far it starts up even when the battery is drained down pretty bad(to the point where a jump is necessary).
Old 03-10-06, 05:58 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by jefftsai
The HID ballast pulls several times the power of a standard halogen bulb at startup. If your wiring on one side is bad/old, that may be causing you some problems. For my retrofit, I built a custom relay that draws power directly from the battery with 12GA wire.
my proxenon.com kit came with the relay(s) and I've had zero problems. Some people have not used the relay(direct wire method) with no problems.

are you sure you're getting a good connection on the passenger's side? does your kit plug in directly to the OEM headlite plug or are you inserting the leads into it like this photo?
Old 03-10-06, 06:02 AM
carlos
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bagwell
my proxenon.com kit came with the relay(s) and I've had zero problems. Some people have not used the relay(direct wire method) with no problems.

are you sure you're getting a good connection on the passenger's side? does your kit plug in directly to the OEM headlite plug or are you inserting the leads into it like this photo?

its like that (inserting the leads).

i've tried every possible combination of ballast/bulb/harness possible with this kit and the problem only happens on the passenger side.

it's a cheap no name brand. if all else fails, i'll return it and get something better.
Old 03-10-06, 08:03 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

and if you revert back to orig bulbs.....they work perfect on both sides? double check this....if they work fine...I'd just return the kit and go for another.
Old 03-10-06, 08:32 AM
carlos
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bagwell
and if you revert back to orig bulbs.....they work perfect on both sides? double check this....if they work fine...I'd just return the kit and go for another.
after the mission i went through to put in the HID bulbs... thats the last thing i wanna do.. lol.

we'll see what happens later on today and i'll go from there.
Old 03-11-06, 07:24 AM
lexusls430
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jeff could you explain how you built it if you dont mind.