Lighting A place to ask questions about HIDs & other Lexus lights

HID Help !?!?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-06, 09:19 PM
dsnowgs4
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy HID Help !?!?

Hey guys I need some advice on my situation.

So tonight after work I started my car and I noticed that the right headlight of my car is not putting out so much light.

I get out and walk around and notice that my passenger headlight is putting out a weak purple light where as the drivers side is the normal HID blue/white color. (I Have the OEM HID's on my 98 GS400)

I am wondering if this will be a temporary thing, we just had some really cold weather here in Colorado, and my headlights did their normal condensation trick. So I was thinking maybe the bulb just got a little cold and wet.

So the question I have is, do I have a passenger side HID bulb that is about to DIE? Or has anyone else had this happen to their lights and they fix themselves?

And Yes I already did my research and I know that I will need to replace both HID's if the bulb is broken. I am looking at buying the stock 4100k or 6000k I have not decided yet.

I did not find any $price$ info in my search, and I want to know if you guys could recommend a good place to buy OEM or 6000k bulbs?.... I did not see any bulbs on L Tuned.com. Maybe I missed them.?!?

Any help is appreciated guys.

Thanks
Old 03-13-06, 09:51 PM
Kharizma
Lexus Champion

hmm, i'm not sure if it's the same thing as myself, but i had one of the headlights replaced and it's not as bright as the '00 GS400 stock HID bulb, they replaced it with a newer bulb and it doesn't come out purple like my original one does. i'm just going to get the 6000K HID kit 'cause i had how my headlights don't match.. i mean no one can tell except me 'cause i'm looking for it.. lol

and where in CO you located at? didn't know there were more GS owners other than GILLEXUS and myself and a few others i previously have known
Old 03-13-06, 09:55 PM
vicestan
Lead Lap

Yep your bulb is nearing its end and the 2nd one is not to far behind. Get a pair of oem phillips bulbs, they'l run you about 60 dollars.
Old 03-13-06, 09:57 PM
Kharizma
Lexus Champion

hey vicestan where do you find these phillips bulbs at? are these the 6K kit? or just OEM style? will they be purple like the OEM ones?
Old 03-13-06, 10:01 PM
vicestan
Lead Lap

I will send you a link and no not the 6 k, the oem style bulbs and for the first 100 hours they will be really bright white, after that they will become bluer.
Old 03-13-06, 10:05 PM
Kharizma
Lexus Champion

iight thanks man... what do you mean by bluer? do you have any pictures by chance?
Old 03-13-06, 10:14 PM
vicestan
Lead Lap

No I dont have any pictures to show this buy when you get the bulbs brand new for ex phillips they burn at around 4100k and after 100 hours they will burn at about 4900-5000k this effect will be what you were talking about when you got your gs and the lights were bluer thats because the gs was made in 98 99ish? and the bulbs have been used that whole time. Also for the first 100 hours you will get alot more light on the road so enjoy that also. And if anyone here has some guts open the lights up and do a little mod, you might not be able to afford a projector retro yet but you can dremmel out alot of the surrounding metal cover thats around the bulb and thus have more light on the road, this doesn't cause to much glare, in fact its barely noticable in terms of glare but does put more light on the road, if anyone is interested i'l take a picture of one of the pieces that I dremmeled out. Stan.
Old 03-13-06, 11:18 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

another thing you might wanna do as well is to swap the driver and passenger side bulbs and see if now the driver side is dim. that means it's the bulb. this is to make sure it's not the ballast. not common but i have seen it fail
Old 03-13-06, 11:46 PM
vicestan
Lead Lap

Well the ballast its self will not produce a dim light output it will either flash on and of or not come on at all if it was the ballast, but never hurts to try
Old 03-14-06, 06:33 AM
dsnowgs4
Pole Position

Thanks for the help guys.

Ballast? I am not sure what that is... does it deal with the electrical system?

vicestan would you mind sending me the link for the phillips bulbs as well?

rominl:
Hey I read your post on changing the HID's I wanted to know if it is really that easy? I am almost tempted to just pay some one to put them in. (I just broke a M-6 polarg in my passenger side DRL.) It has not been a good week for lights.

I have a car that looks like a crayon box of lights. only 3 lights work, and they are all different colors.
Old 03-14-06, 09:22 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

ballast is what ignites the hid bulb

umm, for first timer it might not be the most obvious thing to do, but be patient, especially coz' of the space
Old 03-16-06, 11:24 AM
tonydt1g3r
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My friend has a car shop that sells replacement bulbs for $160 a set. It comes with a lifetime warranty, I think its 6000k if you want to buy it send me an email to tondt1g3r@aol.com and I'll give you his #
Old 03-16-06, 01:28 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by tonydt1g3r
My friend has a car shop that sells replacement bulbs for $160 a set. It comes with a lifetime warranty, I think its 6000k if you want to buy it send me an email to tondt1g3r@aol.com and I'll give you his #
that's for philips/osram bulbs?
Old 03-17-06, 06:53 AM
dsnowgs4
Pole Position

I would be interested to see if they are the Phillips bulbs.

I am not sure I want the 6000k,
The 6000k produces a slightly more white color beam right?

I called the dealer yesterday just for laughs, and the service tech told me I would probably need to "sit down" when I asked for a quote to replace the bulbs.

The total was close to 1 grand tax. Its always a slap in the face to call the dealer for car service.
Old 03-17-06, 08:01 AM
carlos
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the headlight with the condensation... GET IT SEALED UP! any small amount of moisture is NOT good for the bulbs or the ballast. be glad the only problem is them bulb... otherwise it can be a very expensive repair.

Quick Reply: HID Help !?!?