Notices
Lighting A place to ask questions about HIDs & other Lexus lights

Silverstar bulbs arent as white as i thought???

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-06, 02:05 AM
kpinoy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Silverstar bulbs arent as white as i thought???

I had purchased the GE nighthawks because someone suggested that it was brighter than the Silverstar. so I thot i gave it a try since it was cheaper than the Silverstar. after I installed it It seem to just be a brighter than the stock bulbs. I wanted it to look "white" like HID type color. I wasnt happy so i returned it and forked up the money and got some 9004 silverstar but I was dissapointed. The silverstar still looked yellow, not as bad as the stocks but its no where near the "white" color. my friends that installed the silverstar and also looks yellow. does anyone here that own silverstar also have that yellow output? I would get hyper whites but i dont like seeing that blue tint bulbs on my headlights during the day. anyone have any bulb suggestions? did my friends and i got a bad batch of silverstars ( We got it at seperate places) please advice thanks
Old 04-13-06, 03:49 AM
EXE.UCF10
VIP|EXEstyle セルシオ

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Neither of you got a bad batch of Silverstars, that's just the way they look. If you're looking to get HID color or performance out of halogen bulbs, you've been severely mislead....doing a thorough search on the forums would've given you that answer before you decided to invest in a set of Silverstars. Bottom line, just save up and get a good/reputable set of HIDs. BTW, welcome to CL.
Old 04-13-06, 09:03 AM
kpinoy
Driver School Candidate

Yea it looked good on the pictures on the back of the box and pictures on the internet. I thought i had a bad batch but my friends that got theirs at pepboys are the same still yellow ( i got mine at walmart) they are a lot brighter tho i give them that. i guess thats the drawback either i go for the "white" look with hyper whites or go with the yellow lights but soo much brighter. This maybe be a dumb question but is there such a thing as LED headlights i mean i seen it on tail lights and ive seen those powerful flash lights hehehe. just a thought if there is such a thing for head lights. thanks for the welcome to the club this is a great club. i just got my 90 ls400 3 weeks ago and im excited. heheh
Old 04-13-06, 09:25 AM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

One thing you can try to do is the 9005 -> 9006 conversion. Still yellow, but much brighter. Agree with above, no regular bulbs will give you that HID white output. Save up for HIDs, you won't regret it.
Old 04-13-06, 02:22 PM
absolut
Pole Position

That's strange, I have silverstars 9004 also and they don't really look yellow to me. Definately a cleaner/ brighter bulb over stocks.

Old 04-13-06, 02:54 PM
KilaWombat
Lead Lap

I have sylvania silverstars on mine. the light is whiter; i didn't notice and yellow tints, if there was, maybe just a little bit. I would definately save for HID's though...does that mean i need to change to jdm headlights to get better light from the hids?
Old 04-13-06, 04:54 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 96 Likes on 88 Posts

the JDm headlights wont really make much of a difference since the lense is still a glass diffuser.
Old 04-13-06, 05:36 PM
iasc300
Lexus Champion

agree with absolut- i also had silverstars before hid and i had no yellow -
Old 04-13-06, 11:04 PM
kpinoy
Driver School Candidate

yeah I have silviana silverstars. yeah I am going to keep them on there for now since it is waaay better than regular halogens and i dont want to put those ghetto blue lights. ill rather have the brightness and i dont like to see that blue tint of the bulbs during the day (my pet peeve) i guess nothing to do but save up for HIDS. thanks a lot guys ...this site rocks
Old 04-15-06, 03:02 PM
ychachad
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

9004 silverstars "seem" just a tad bit whiter than the OEM light. That's because the power of the 9004 is only 45W. There is not much if any difference in the light output.

However, the H3 bulb in my gen 2 is a different story. The silverstars are much whiter and brighter than stock because the power output is 60W. That combined with the 9006 to 9005 conversion for the fogs will make a big difference in your light output.
Old 04-16-06, 04:00 PM
Stu
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 44 Posts

I guess no one here has heard of 9012 HIR bulbs. Check them out, they are newish.
Old 04-16-06, 05:47 PM
stevies30
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I replaced the stock 9006 bulbs in my '96 ES300 with Silverstars and noticed an obvious difference in the light output but it wasn't until I polished my lenses that I noticed a huge difference not only in color but in output...

Last edited by stevies30; 04-16-06 at 05:51 PM.
Old 04-16-06, 06:44 PM
IOWNALEXUS
Lexus Test Driver

i was thinking of trying these out:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/93-97...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 04-16-06, 07:03 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 96 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by INEEDANSC3
i was thinking of trying these out:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/93-97...QQcmdZViewItem
wow..........
Old 04-16-06, 07:55 PM
IOWNALEXUS
Lexus Test Driver

If you read the link before posting you would have the answer to your question, but since people are lazy ill just post it.

An astonishing color temperature of 7000K
No other bulb offers this ultra high color temperature at this price! With this color temperature, you can be sure that this is the nicest you'll ever come across at this rock-bottom price. Most other eBay sellers offer only 5000K at best for this price. Why settle for less? (This is not to be confused by the amount of heat, brightness, or wattage this bulb emits. See below for explanation of safe wattage draw.)

Standard wattage draw with high wattage output - 55W
With this safe wattage level, you can be sure these lights don't damage any wiring, and at the same time, will provide a brighter, more elegant whiter look than all stock lights. (They draw the same wattage as your OEM stock bulbs, but emit a brighter light than your stock bulbs).

Guarantee / Warranty
We offer a 90 day satisfaction guarantee. If these bulbs are defective in any way or burn out during this period, send back for a replacement. If you are not satisfied with this product, send back for a refund. Plain and simple.

Last edited by IOWNALEXUS; 04-16-06 at 07:59 PM.

Quick Reply: Silverstar bulbs arent as white as i thought???