Lighting A place to ask questions about HIDs & other Lexus lights

Clearing out your headlight turnsignal...

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-01 | 04:10 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Ok, a good friend of mine in the import business got a set of GS300/400/430 headlights and he was screwing with them. Here's the deal....

You can seperate the headlights with a heatgun. You have to be careful or you'll melt the housing. There are a few screws that need to be taken out and then the housing comes apart. It's actually easier, according to him, then seperating Civic headlights....

The yellow lens in the turn signal will just pop right out. You can then just put it all back together. There, you now have 100% white. No more yellow.

More hassle to me than it's worth normally but I have another plan for my headlights and since I'll be buying a set to mess with, I'm not too worried about screwing them up...so I'll probably do the yellow lens removal...

Also, I have found a place that has clear bumper markers (not crystal clear like the ricer ones you see now but more like the stock ones, just "white" not orange) and I'm gonna get a price...probably won't be cheap as they're coming from Japan....also have some other stuff on tap from Japan...
Old 09-07-01 | 05:07 AM
LexusRules
Lexus Champion

awsome **** dude! you mean the orange thing in the blinker right? how could i change it to blue instead?

i'm not gonna atempt it until i have someone that can take the lenses out and put them back in flawlessly
Old 09-07-01 | 05:18 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Yes, that is the part I'm talking about...

You can get it to be blue by putting in a Blue bulb! (a real blue one, not a "HID" one that looks blue when it's off). I don't know about Canada, but down here, Blue lights are big no-no...only Cops are suppose to have blue lights...so you can imagine the grief they're gonna give you if they see it!

I'm gonna do just "HID" style whites...or I might just leave them with whatever bulb is in there...

My friend might be willing to sell you a set of pre-done lights...no core exchange because he's thinking of just buying a bunch of new 2001/2001 "blue tint" housings only (plus the condition of used headlights will vary too much...you wouldn't want to recieve a set of used headlights from someone elses car would ya?! )
Old 09-07-01 | 06:24 AM
GS - T.O.
Driver

Hi Manaray,

Do you know how to remove the orange in the tail light? I remeber you show us some picture of that before, I think they look really cool.
Old 09-07-01 | 07:11 AM
hubbard316
Pole Position

Manray,

How much will your friend sale the pre-done headlghts for? What color bulb do they have? Are they HID? Please reply.
Old 09-07-01 | 02:50 PM
Intellexual
Lead Lap

Awesome Manaray You've always got the hook ups.

Keep us updated on those clear sidemarkers please. I hope they don't get TOO expensive though

I really think that little orange piece in the headlights isn't worth separating the headlight housing. Dealing w/ HIDs and such, I definitely wouldn't want condensation or water getting in there. Plus, your dealership may turn you away if you come to them w/ condensation because you have tampered with the headlights.

On the other hand, do you know how to remove the orange from the tailights Manaray? If you had pictures before, please post em
Old 09-08-01 | 03:47 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Thumbs down

Ok, here's the deal...I just found out from the dealer that it's a ARM and a LEG...and a KIDNEY just to get the lights. You can't get just the housing.

I think you'll want to sit down for this...

The Headlight set (for a 2001 HID with the Blue Tinted Glass) is like $1800. Of course, that includes the leveling computer, bulb, etc., etc...don't know if it comes with the ballast though...I'm sure that's extra.

So I guess if you want it done, you'll either have to hope that my buddy can locate some crashed GS's that he can strip them out of or you'll have to send him yours and wait for him to do it and return it (he can do it the same day, or the next day at most, of receiving them...)

Don't know how many people want to screw with taking their headlights out (especially with HID's).

And I don't know how many of you are willing to fork over the cash to get new headlights...

Well, looks like a DIY job...

I'll look into it to see if I can somehow get some lights...gotta find out if the housing is the same for HID and non-HID's...probably not!

Oh, Intellexual is 100% correct about the warranty. If you get condensation, the dealership will not honor your warranty unless you have a 'hook up'...however, my buddy does quality work. I wouldn't let me screw with my car if he didn't...friend or not...

As for the tail light, well those are cheaper...he's going to look into it...
Old 06-01-03 | 04:32 PM
BostonGS4
Pole Position

::Clear signals::
had my body shop use a dremel to get mine out.
was roughly 1.5 hours labor. saw him do it.
was a pain in the @ss because of the angle in the housing.

Last edited by BostonGS4; 06-01-03 at 04:33 PM.
Old 06-02-03 | 08:52 AM
BananaGS
Tech Guru

this is a 2 years old thread.....
Old 06-03-03 | 02:51 AM
bravo261
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by BananaGS
exactly
Old 06-03-03 | 06:58 AM
LexRoc
Lead Lap

Originally posted by BananaGS
Well, Maybe BostonGS 4 used the search function and came up with this post. Im sure he knows its over 2 years old. We also know by looking at his forum name/info that he is a newer member of the board. Im not intending to flame here (sorry if it sounds that way) but somtimes we promote the search function, but when someone responds to an old post, were reminded that its "old"
I dont know.....just my .02 )

Later