Notices
Lighting A place to ask questions about HIDs & other Lexus lights

Best Visibilty? Halogen to HID in '05 GS.

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-06, 09:15 AM
rsa supra
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Visibilty? Halogen to HID in '05 GS.

My stepdad has an '05 GS300 with regular headlights, and after driving a new LS, wants better visibilty. I'm trying to figure out what is going to get him the best visibilty and what is the best route for cost/benefit.

Here are the options I've figured out so far:

9006 HID plug 'n' play Kit
OEM HID headlights ($$$$$$)
Q45/other HID Retrofit

and possibly plug 'n' plag fogs...

I know the Q45 retrofit looks really cool, but I'm wondering how much better (if at all) the actual light output (with a ~4100k bulb) is going to be.

Any input would be appreciated.
Old 04-13-06, 09:45 AM
varcity64
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rsa supra
I know the Q45 retrofit looks really cool, but I'm wondering how much better (if at all) the actual light output (with a ~4100k bulb) is going to be.
the actual output of the Q45 retro is just SICK... believe me, i can see far... VERY far at night.
Old 04-13-06, 11:06 AM
TeeLex
Lexus Champion

HID retro with HID projectors is the way to go -or- OEM HID reflectors. The HID kits (plug and play ) will never equal the OEM HID's or a well done HID projector retro. You can do the HID projector retro for not much more than the HID kit and come out with significantly better output. Remember that the OEM halogen reflector is a different shape than the OEM HID reflector and consequently, with the HID kit, will never have the beam pattern that a OEM HID reflector does. Typically you will have more glare ( for oncoming drivers ) with the HID kits in an OEM halogen light.

On-the-other hand the HID kit will still give him a significant improvement in output over the stock halogen set-up.

There is definitely a difference between HID and halogen - almost day-and-night

Some HID projectors to consider for a retro are the Infinity Q45 ( winner for looks most assuredly ), Acura TSX's, the Honda S2000's and ultimately the Lexus LS430 ( best output ). There are others but these give the best output. Valeo's have nice color and decent output, too.
Old 04-13-06, 11:32 AM
rsa supra
Pole Position

Thanks for the responses. Obviously just popping in the 9006 bulbs will not be as good as any lenses set up for Xenon. I have bulbs & balasts out of a 540i in my Supra, and it works great, but the beam pattern is no where as good as the actual 540. I'm just trying to see if it worth it to do a retrofit.

If it were my car, I would do it myself, but being his, I would need to buy a set and then install the completed lights. I just haven't seen much as far as the options, and the goal of strictly light optput over looks and cool color (6000k+) are what most people are looking for.

Thanks.
Old 04-13-06, 11:43 AM
GS42NV
Pole Position

well ya gotta see how much your stepdad is willing to spend on this. if just a few hundred, then get the HID plug n play kit. If hes looking to spend a lil more, i'd deff get the HID Q45 retro.

check out advancedautoconcepts.com (sp?). i believe he's on this site as a sponsor as well. He did the whole GS DDE set-up. On his website he offers the Q45 retro as a package. Check it out, and see what your stepdad is willing to spend. That is the main factor IMO.
Old 04-13-06, 06:42 PM
LJGS300
Driver

Hey, rsa
I recently switched out stock halogens (highs, lows & fogs) with Sylvania Silverstars and I can tell a huge difference. They have a very slight blue tint, but excellent for down road visibility. I paid about $100 combined for all three sets.

btw, I have a 2002 GS 300
Old 04-13-06, 07:18 PM
asci01
Pole Position

Unless you want to spend big bucks, get the HID kit. Just make sure you get a good brand like the one many CL members have bought including myself (see my sig).

The improvement is tremendous over halogens and the kits are priced reasonably.

I have had no complaints whatsoever for glare, not even from cops.
Old 04-15-06, 12:00 PM
rsa supra
Pole Position

Thanks for the responses. I'm kind of leaning towards a plug and play kit first, and then if he wants more, then we can do a retrofit.

But now he's got a hardon for the new LS and moved his deposit from the GS450h to the LS...

Either way, still going to upgrade the lights on the GS.

What's the best place to get a Phillips kit? I'm thinking of sticking with 4100-4300k for best light output.
Old 04-15-06, 12:49 PM
GS42NV
Pole Position

Thanks for the responses. I'm kind of leaning towards a plug and play kit first, and then if he wants more, then we can do a retrofit.

But now he's got a hardon for the new LS and moved his deposit from the GS450h to the LS...

Either way, still going to upgrade the lights on the GS.

What's the best place to get a Phillips kit? I'm thinking of sticking with 4100-4300k for best light output.
go here .... http://www.xenondepot.com/

they sell the philips kit and should have what youre looking for.

Good Luck.
Old 04-15-06, 12:54 PM
rsa supra
Pole Position

Thanks. How's the qulaity of that kit/balast vs. the Phillips/Hella kits/balasts?
Old 04-15-06, 01:20 PM
GS42NV
Pole Position

Thanks. How's the qulaity of that kit/balast vs. the Phillips/Hella kits/balasts?
well those are Philips ballasts and bulbs. in regards to comparing them to Hella, I really dont know. But if you look at the kit that XD sells, they use Phillips components for everything, and from reading around this forum it looks like everyone is happy with the quality of the kit.

i know the 4300k kit has the most light output, but the 6000k looks best IMO. the 6000k tho does have about 20% less light output and the 4300k kit. 4300k is what GS's with OEM HID burn at, but with there being a difference in the reflectords, im not too sure if that is a good reference point for your decision.

try searching the "lighting" forum on the forums homepage. im sure you'll find more info there than a noob like me can help you out with.
Old 04-16-06, 08:04 PM
rsa supra
Pole Position

Thanks, I've been reading there too. I appreciate your input and will probably order up some this week. Just still considering a retrofit if I can get some headlights already done.... Though I saw a set of brand new OEM HID headlight housings for sale too...
Old 05-04-06, 04:47 PM
rsa supra
Pole Position

Just rec'd the xenondepot kit. Very well put togther, though I did prefer the install on theBMW 540 Hella/Phillips kit I put on my Supra, just plug the factory headlight harness backwards into the balast and plug in the bulb.

They are bright as **** from inside and out of the car. The only problem is now he wants the running light and high beams to match. Time pick up some ricer bulbs for him.

We might order a set for the fogs too, but now he's set on getting an LS460 when they come in later this year....
Old 05-05-06, 09:50 AM
bugeyeGS
Driver

well i have 6000k HID kit by helios with lifetime warranty for my headlight and fogs , and they are best ,I think i'm maybe the only person with helios kit on here , the reason i went with them cuz i know they stuff is grade A i had them install on my maxima and everthing was plug and play , easy mounting no headache , just turn them on , and start blinding people lol i'll post some pic up tonight
Old 05-06-06, 10:13 AM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I guess it all depends on your budget....any type of HID will be better than halogens.

Pete