Lighting A place to ask questions about HIDs & other Lexus lights

Is350 = H11 or D2S/D2R ???

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-06, 03:24 PM
BlackSeat
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is350 = H11 or D2S/D2R ???

My buddy just got an IS350 and were currently looking to upgrade his headlights. His car comes stock with projectors that look like they were meant for HIDs instead of Halogens(e.g. the the staggered cutoff beam of all HID projectors). I know that most HID projectors use either D2S or D2R bulbs, so I was wondering if these projectors use the same either of those?

From what I've read, the 2IS uses the H11 socket. Is this true for the projectors as well?

Thanks a lot for your help.
Old 05-22-06, 03:33 PM
gettingais
Rookie

The IS uses H11 bulbs if you don't get the HID packages. I have the IS250 and installed the XTEC Hid kit for H11. Pretty easy installation. Here's my setup
Old 05-22-06, 03:41 PM
BlackSeat
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by gettingais
The IS uses H11 bulbs if you don't get the HID packages. I have the IS250 and installed the XTEC Hid kit for H11. Pretty easy installation. Here's my setup
Just out of curisosity, did your IS come with projectors? This is what kills me. Even though he didn't get the HID package (behest of yours truly), it would seem that his car did come with the projectors for HIDs.

From what I can tell from your thread, it doesn't seem that your IS has projectors. Even with Halogens, the cutoff beam for his headlights are very sharp, and HIGHLY remincent of HID projectors. Enough so that I'm nearly fully convinced that he does in fact have projectors for HIDs. With that said, what kind of bulbs does the HID package come with?

Thanks again.
Old 05-22-06, 04:50 PM
gettingais
Rookie

All IS's come with the projector type headlight housing for the low beams. My cutoff is not as good as the others you see because the garage door was about 3 feet way from the car and it is reflecting my white LED parking lights. From further away, the cutoff looks similar to the usual HID cutoff.

The XTEC kit comes with H11 bulbs and a ballast with an integrated ignitor. If your friend did not get HIDs with the car, then he needs a kit with H11 bulbs. You can try xenondepot.com, they might still have a group buy for the HIDs kit through clublexus (try a search). If not, try www.understeer.com, that's where I got my XTEC kit.
Old 05-22-06, 04:55 PM
BlackSeat
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by gettingais
All IS's come with the projector type headlight housing for the low beams. My cutoff is not as good as the others you see because the garage door was about 3 feet way from the car and it is reflecting my white LED parking lights. From further away, the cutoff looks similar to the usual HID cutoff.

The XTEC kit comes with H11 bulbs and a ballast with an integrated ignitor. If your friend did not get HIDs with the car, then he needs a kit with H11 bulbs. You can try xenondepot.com, they might still have a group buy for the HIDs kit through clublexus (try a search). If not, try www.understeer.com, that's where I got my XTEC kit.

Ahhhh ok I understand now (should have thought about the proximity to the garage door). Ya I just found the Xenondepot group buy, though it maybe expired (doesn't seem that way).

Thanks a lot for the help. Much appreciated.
Old 05-30-06, 10:57 PM
mwaull
Lexus Test Driver

H11 if you have stock halogens . . . i believe the bulbs are D4S if you already have the OEM HIDs (4300k)